The next big FPS esport?

Created 28th May 2012 @ 17:58

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

Skyride

DUCS

Aren’ Rakaka usually quite tabloid-ish?

choiie

keso

I don’t believe in FPS as esport. Way too hard to get an overview as a spectator which is for me the major issue. The only FPS game that I’ve ever enjoyed watching is TF2 because I know it, and despite 100+ hours in both BF3 and CS I can’t seem to get it. With 5-10 hours of playtime in SC2 and LoL, however, I thoroughly enjoy watching these games.

Some indie developer may arrive to prove me wrong, but I still dont believe in a future for FPS as eSport.

Setlet

Please let it be shootmania <3

dodgydogman

Panda

Quoted from choiie

I don’t believe in FPS as esport. Way too hard to get an overview as a spectator which is for me the major issue. The only FPS game that I’ve ever enjoyed watching is TF2 because I know it, and despite 100+ hours in both BF3 and CS I can’t seem to get it. With 5-10 hours of playtime in SC2 and LoL, however, I thoroughly enjoy watching these games.

Some indie developer may arrive to prove me wrong, but I still dont believe in a future for FPS as eSport.

TF2 is a terrible spectator esport (I mean, stalemates are PART OF THE GAME, noone wants to watch that shit), as are most team fps. However quake 3 is a great spectator esport as there are only 2 people to watch, its easy to understand when you start, and its deep enough so that people keep watching.

Games like starcraft and moba games do seem to fit the role of spectator esports, and sc2 is an awesome one at that. With the sc2 HOTS expo coming out which is changing so many things for the spectator, the quality of tournaments is set to only get better.

I think shootmania could be a great game if the developers give the community enough freedom to WHATEVER they want, easily. If their editor allowed you to change essentially EVERYTHING about the game. If they incorporate a strong laddering system that can be customised for any gametype created, customisable spectator tools, and a sleek system for looking for new gametypes. I also hope their tools allow you to create and edit close to every fps querk and gametype, from rocket jumping and bunny hoping, to capture the flag and domination. As a person who spent 3 years of my life playing warcraft 3 custom games with friends, I am /REALLY/ fucking hoping this will be similar, as I truly believe that the best games ever, are those that rise from a huge playerbase of talent, this has been shown with games such as dota, and cs, hundreds of mods are created, but the community chooses which ones are worth anyone’s time.

Edit: Ok ignore all that shit, just found out that its by the same team that made trackmania, meaning its gonna be a generic fps with a simple editor :(, it could be good but its not going to be anything like warcraft 3 type editor.

All hopes dashed.

Last edited by dodgydogman,

Andee

GoT<3
HoT<3

I think esports is still growing. Just look at Diablo III selling records. Esports has only been around for 15 years. And I don’t see the genre FPS gaming die for generations to come either. It needs a or a few big titles to come.

Last edited by Andee,

WARHURYEAH

GlueEater

Quoted from beta

Nothing, e-sports is currently on a down turn due to market trends and of course the euro crisis etc.

E-Sports has had it’s day and I will be very surprised if we ever see anything the size of CGS, CPL World Tour and WCG again

What!? Those events made 0 profit because they were poorly run, CPL never paid out any money for starters, MLG in America is just getting bigger and IPL is getting huge with their LoL and SC2 tournaments.

LoL and SC2 are expanding day by day, LoL is literally huge in South Korea now, SC 1 & 2 are faltering due to a transition and suffering from LoL being free and Blizzard being terrible.

Anyway, FPS e-sports is dead because a new “big” fps comes out every year.

Just remembered there’s quite a few F2P FPS games that are played in Asia, can’t remember their names though :/

Last edited by WARHURYEAH,

Keyro

Cheater

tf2… no tf3
Well maybe shootmania

atmo

Quoted from yach

Tribes is boring, shootmania is too simple, quakelive is too old and cs:go is nothing new.

Fps is fucked till quake 5 comes around.

Agree with all of this, although I’ll give Shootmania a chance when it comes out.

Skyride

DUCS

Quoted from choiie

That’s because you’ve never seen it done well. You can do it super well, but you need a team of guys and a lot of gear.

AnimaL

im sure we will see TF3 coming out as soon as hat sells start to drop

vani

Bully

Xonotic, similar to Nexuiz but free/open source and less bs ingame: http://www.xonotic.org/

Lol, who am I kidding, wouldn’t suit as a spectator game. Its fun to play tho.

kustom3

AwS
DA!

Quoted from dodgydogman

[…]
Edit: Ok ignore all that shit, just found out that its by the same team that made trackmania, meaning its gonna be a generic fps with a simple editor :(, it could be good but its not going to be anything like warcraft 3 type editor.

All hopes dashed.

As the TF2 Group leader during the alpha stage of Shootmania, I advise you to try to read a little more about the game. Way more actually. I’m talking about title packs, ManiaScript, the ManiaTracker, the skins, to ability to import 3d models into the game, did I say MANIASCRIPT? blablabla.
ShootMania’s success as a game, and in eSport will definitely depend on its community and how much people get involved with it.
I really hope people read a more than you about the game before to make such a statement.

Btw, TrackMania is way more than a generic race game with a simple editor (I’m assuming that’s what you think from what you said). Please don’t judge a book by its cover.

Oh and here’s a bit of fresh intel about SM (more about maniaplanet actually, but still) : http://blog.maniaplanet.com/blog/2012/05/25/hello-planet-2/

Last edited by kustom3,

trams

-><-

I am working on a “template” on how I would like tomorrows esport to be.
Some of the ideas so far:

Comp will be played 4on4, easier/cheaper for sponsors to get teams to lan, public servers can of course host more players.

4 different classes to implement more tactics, easily recognizable silhouettes like TF2, classlimit 1 in comp, easy to distinguish which team a player is like the fluorescent lights in shootmania.

Medic
Medikit heals teammates by hitting them like in qwtf and melees enemy.
Some kind of tommy gun.
Time limited chameleon abilities, maybe like in the predator movies, only slightly visible when moving.

Soldier
Melee.
Minigun with slower movement.
Rocketlauncher.

Engineer
Melee.
Can build small/weak turrets and area activated land mines.
Grenade launcher, maybe stickys?

Scout
Melee.
Sniper rifle, cant oneshot full health enemies but faster reload than in tf2.
Nailgun or shotgun.

No cartoon-ish graphics, tryhards cant take it seriously ;)
More speed than TF2.
Open(not large) maps like Shootmania for easier spectating, as spectator you can choose to see the whole map but you still see where the players are, what weapon they carry and if they kill someone.
Respawn(not instant) for non stop action.
Can be played like CP maps but I like the idea of attack/defend maps or assault like in UT.

Flaws so far?

Darkdwarf

[MvP]

I think it’s really important that comp play and casual play is similar. You need those players who play half-casually (like 24-vanilla-servers in tf2) to play the same game as those who play comp. Compare with LoL, where everyone play almost the same game, from start to finish. Without some kind of ladder the competetive play will never grow enough…

dodgydogman

Panda

Quoted from kustom3

[…]
Btw, TrackMania is way more than a generic race game with a simple editor (I’m assuming that’s what you think from what you said). Please don’t judge a book by its cover.

I guess simple wasnt the right word, probably restricted would fit better. From what I could see, the editor didnt allow you to edit the very nitty gritty, such as precise map editing, lighting, character movement, weapons, etc. It seemed like you could edit the game, but within their weapons, set blocks and gameplay elements.

Though maybe they haven’t released enough, but i couldnt find much regarding the complexity of the map and gameplay editors..

Trackmania was a great game and a solid esport, so Im sure they know what they are doing regardless.

Last edited by dodgydogman,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »