Forum

"UK Game Retailers" to boycott Steam games

Created 11th November 2010 @ 10:53

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from quad

I remember with SecuROM, it was only possible to install the game like 3 times, and then it will become unusable or something..

even on some steam purchased games securom is bundled to enforce maximum installs (crysis warhead for example)… it’s downright horrible

Bury.

internecine

Likely to backfire for the retailers, seems a bit silly to not sell games that do sell, and sell very well… just because steam has a better distribution platform. I guess retailers are making all their money from crappy console games anyway, so leave them to it I guess. Bit random to cause a divide though.

This is actually bad, yet not surprising.
I am not looking forward to the future of PC gaming.

Waster

If they are consistent they have to boycott all console games as well. I hardly ever touched a console, but i think the xbox live marketplace and playstation store has a true monopoly. Not even a 80% of the market like steam has. If thats an issue for pc games it should be an even bigger issue for console games.

hapha

lol, The last game I bought retail was The Orange Box (day one release), then CoD4 (also, day one) There’s been nothing worth buying since.

hans

I’m surprised to hear that so many people actually by games on Steam. As long as they keep the audacious 1$=1€ convention I can get any game I want cheaper in a shop than on steam.

d2m

vertex »
derptex9

Quoted from Waster

If they are consistent they have to boycott all console games as well. I hardly ever touched a console, but i think the xbox live marketplace and playstation store has a true monopoly. Not even a 80% of the market like steam has. If thats an issue for pc games it should be an even bigger issue for console games.

Are they selling brand-new releases on the marketplace or PSN yet? I do agree that in time, it will be very similar. However at the moment, this doesn’t seem like a fair comparison.

The point in the article was that people would buy one game that needs Steam and then with all the marketing and pop-ups Steam has on their PC with new releases, they’d continue to buy games from Steam rather than going back to the retail outlet.

I buy nearly all of my games from Steam. It’s sad that small business can and will close, but it happens in every industry, not just games. If you can’t differentiate yourself and clearly express your unique selling point (usp) and show people why they should give their money to you, then you will fail. Simple as that.

Supermarkets can go fuck themselves though :D They undercut so many people to get their huge corporate hands on money. They’re the one type of business that I absolutely detest.

DeNeusbeer

(Legend)
HoT<3

Quoted from hans

I’m surprised to hear that so many people actually by games on Steam. As long as they keep the audacious 1$=1€ convention I can get any game I want cheaper in a shop than on steam.

Steam (holiday) sales :)

baerbel

trick17
trick17

i dont buy steam games unless they are on sale. i buy either keys for steam or retail and enter the cd key on steam.
doesnt help that my dvd drive hasnt worked in years. (((

Inuy

#sadboys

lol never buy on steam unless sales. for new games etc buy steam keys for way less price.

Daleth

ti.
[PG]

what tapley said, its their own fucking fault that they didn’t adapt.

Skyride

DUCS

The PC is a dying platform for gaming (unless you count farmville etc) anyway.

I don’t think anyone is really losing out here, just a bit daft on the part of the games retailers to prematurely close doors to a fairly loyal set of customers.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Skyride

You serious?
I’ll never understand how gaming with 12 buttons max can win over keyboard/mouse. Guess I’m just too old eh.

shaun

[GM\\\'2]

Quoted from Skyride

I don’t think anyone is really losing out here, just a bit daft on the part of the games retailers to prematurely close doors to a fairly loyal set of customers.

how is that the case at all?

Linus

[d¿s]

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

You serious?
I’ll never understand how gaming with 12 buttons max can win over keyboard/mouse. Guess I’m just too old eh.

Just look at Black Ops sales.

59% Xbox360, 36% Ps3, rest is between Wii/nds/PC. Pretty awful, and lets not forget the franchise started out on PC.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »