Forum

Movie help Plz

Created 8th January 2009 @ 04:58

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

Assault Marine Sigh

Hey guys.

Some of you may know I have tried to do a vid before. It was not what I originally wanted. Anyway I was wondering if some of you could help me plz.

I am intending to record some footage from future matches and make another much better vid, this is where you guys come in.
I have knoticed in some vids you guys have clips that run for a good time. I seem unable to do this using the startmovie and endmovie command. Reason being once the clip reaches a file size over 2gig it no longer works or runs very badly.
Currently I just startmovie and select uncompressed which I think is where im going wrong ?
any ideas ? also whats the best programmes to use.
Last time I used sonyvegas and photoshop for text.

Thanks and sorry for writing so much its 5am and I cant sleep so forgive me.

Sigh

torden

broder
syster

is your hard drive file format fat32?

Assault Marine Sigh

How do I find that out ? lols sorry …

oh wait it says File system NTFS ?

psy

Thats a known problem.

First don’t use ‘uncompressed’. Download a lossless codec like “huffyuv” – saves you diskspace without any loss of quality and decreases the render time.

If the filesize is >2 GB the avi index is broken…thats no problem – you just have to re-render it using a program like VirtualDub. Add the videofile to VD, choose “full processing mode” (VIDEO), “direct stream copy” (AUDIO) and render it (SAVE AS AVI) again with huffyuv.

Fixed ;)

nautti

If I understood you correctly the problem is in the way you make your movies. I use startmovie command just to create imagesequence (a lot of TGA-images) from a recorded demo. The file size of each image depends what resolution you are using. Then I’ll use VirtualDub to turn those images to a movie with the desired codec and quality. In Virtualdub you also add the sound file. With a longer clip you just get more TGA-images to your computer. This way I have managed to do very long clips.

So don’t use startmovie for nothing else than creating those tga-imagefiles. In tf2wiki is a small article about making movies. Check under topic “Movie Creation Tutorial” -> http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Help:Recording_demos#Movie_Creation_Tutorial

PS. I suggest that first you start your demo with demoui and go to point just before where you want to start your clip and hit pause. Then you’ll write those startmovie commands to your console, hit return to game, play your demo and close demoui-player. After the part is played just hit esc and write endmovie to your console. That way you’ll get the tga-images just from the part you want and not from the beginning of your demo showing you fast forwarding to right place :)

PSS. and another tip ;) Make one clip at the time or your demofolder would be full of thousands and thousands of different TGA-files. Startmovie, make a movieclipt from those files and clean the folder from TGA-images. That way you’ll keep your work in order.

psy

Startmovie works fine for making avi-files (especially with ingame-sound)!

Norris

had the same problem. I just worked around this by using startmovie ‘imgsequence’ and creating multiple avi clips with a maximum of x pictures out of this thus it’s not going to break. x value depends on the compression and the resolution of your images. Sure it’s more work and you still need to sync it afterwards with the ingame sounds if you need them.

bout HuffYUV, need to disagree here with psy. I always used uncompressed because huffYUV wasn’t really lossless when I created my TFC videos while back. I could clearly see the difference even by using the ‘best’ quality option in the encoder. looks like it can’t really compress RGB lossless.

BoneS

swimp
ciortai

just use fraps :P its for the lazyman in you

Assault Marine Sigh

Cool thanks for all the help guys.

My current method is to play the demo at double speed until I find a section I like I then remember the tick and start the demo a few ticks earlier. I then hit a bind (O for me ) which has startmovie. Select Uncompressed and when im ready to finish I hit a bind (P) to end movie. I have demoui2 bound also which I follow up wioth and pause it. Alt-tab out an rename the file.

Ill try some of whats suggested above and see how that goes :D

Thanks again.

morf

[j]\\\'
[j]'

yeah startmovie avi creates pretty smooth avis, and my computer sucks ball$!

however, my ingame sound isnt synced with the video, which really makes my ball$ dance

Assault Marine Sigh

the avi’s I get that are below 2gig seem alright. :D

RobbaZ

[FADER]

It’s in the right place mate, changed the topic :>)

aquaman

using the moment i need to ask what’s the best codec for recording movies?

morf

[j]\\\'
[j]'

xvid or x246 (?)

are the best to use, they dont tend to grow too big and they dont reduce quality at all

J3

h264 720p or higher, ac3 audio or wtever ur samples are …. bitrates u must ajust in the end to fit your preferences..

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »