Forum

TF2 Recording Tutorials

Created 30th December 2010 @ 04:28

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3

Decoy

Quoted from metalpiss

[…]

Well, AE isn’t really a movie editing app, it’s more for motion graphics and special effects. Even though you can achieve the same result as with an editing app, I think you’d have a much easier time arranging clips and stuff in vegas or premiere. In AE, every little clip will be its own individual layer, so if you plan on making a movie with lots of clips, you’ll end up with a ton of layers and it can get cumbersome.
So in my opinion, it would be better to do color correction and fancy effects or fancy transitions in AE and put them all together in vegas or premiere.

Just my 2 cents.

K, thanks :)

—————–

What about 1080p and 720p

34sec of 1080p raw losless uncompressed whatever is 47GB wich is ALOT and yours was like 6gb right?

flushy

P.O.P

what makes AE such a ‘better’ programme than SVegas. is it really that much better you can uninstall SV

Skyride

DUCS

Quoted from Decoy

What about 1080p and 720p

34sec of 1080p raw losless uncompressed whatever is 47GB wich is ALOT and yours was like 6gb right?

Well that clip I showed was a lagarith file at 400fps, 24 secs long and it was 6GB. I’d expect 1080p to be roughly 2.25x the size of the same 720p file. Don’t encode to raw uncompressed AVI in virtualdub, there’s no point to it, just use lagarith.

Anyway, 1080p isn’t worth the effort for a couple of reasons:
1) Since you’re dealing with 2.25x the number of pixels on every frame, that means 2.25x as much work for your PC every time you do something, so you’re pretty much doubling your render times in AE, and easily more than doubling the time it takes to record from TF2 and encode with Vdub.
2)Most people will watch your video in 480p on youtube. It’s sad, but its true.
3)Even for the people who do watch your video at 720p, the video quality is butchered by the fact that youtube’s 720p bitrate is roughly 2400kbps and 1080p is roughly 4000kbps, by comparison, all the Torn Production 720p downloads (the ones people get impressed at the quality of) are 10000kbps. So the image quality will actually be worse than 720p.
4) And even assuming you have decided that 1080p is worth the effort, most people don’t even have a monitor capable of displaying 1080p anyway.

Skyride

DUCS

Quoted from flushy

what makes AE such a ‘better’ programme than SVegas. is it really that much better you can uninstall SV

Well, think about it this way. After Effects is for doing effects and compositing (i.e. complicated CC and layering), plus it has some rudimentary 3D capability. Ideally, what you would actually do, is do all your colour correction/effects/etc on each clip individually, export them all at 30/60fps as lagarith, then edit them together in another program like Premiere Pro, Avid or FCP.

Vegas is a lower end piece of software designed as a all-in-one kind of tool. The best way I could put it is that, comparing AE and Vegas is like comparing a Fork and Spork. When using the fork, you’d want a spoon as well, but since what you’re eating doesn’t really need a spoon to eat, you get along better with the fork anyway, and the spork will do just about as well for the job too. The extra benefits of tools like Premiere, Avid and FCP are just non-issues in frag movie production.

edit: Sorry if I’ve explained it terribly but that analogy is pretty much bang on.

Last edited by Skyride,

Decoy

Quoted from Skyride

[…]

Well, think about it this way. After Effects is for doing effects and compositing (i.e. complicated CC and layering), plus it has some rudimentary 3D capability. Ideally, what you would actually do, is do all your colour correction/effects/etc on each clip individually, export them all at 30/60fps as lagarith, then edit them together in another program like Premiere Pro, Avid or FCP.

Vegas is a lower end piece of software designed as a all-in-one kind of tool. The best way I could put it is that, comparing AE and Vegas is like comparing a Fork and Spork. When using the fork, you’d want a spoon as well, but since what you’re eating doesn’t really need a spoon to eat, you get along better with the fork anyway, and the spork will do just about as well for the job too. The extra benefits of tools like Premiere, Avid and FCP are just non-issues in frag movie production.

edit: Sorry if I’ve explained it terribly but that analogy is pretty much bang on.

So lets say i want create a fragmovie, id 1st do all color editing and frame bleding in AE and then put them togethet, edit, cut etc in premire or vegas? Is that what your saying?

dellort

I think each editor who uses both has a different way of doing it. I like to sync/do colours in vegas, then render it out and import into ae to add any other effects I want to use.

Skyride

DUCS

Quoted from Decoy

[…]

So lets say i want create a fragmovie, id 1st do all color editing and frame bleding in AE and then put them togethet, edit, cut etc in premire or vegas? Is that what your saying?

Sort of, not exactly though. What a lot of production companies do (as this is how Adobe, Apple, Avid, etc design their tools to be used), is that you’ll have your editing program (Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro, etc) as the core of the project. Then say you want to do ‘x’ effect to ‘y’ clip. You’d take ‘y’ clip individually into your composition application of choice, do the effects, then export it back to your editing program.

Thing is, as I said, thats the “ideal” way to do it, its how Adobe have designed After Effects and Premiere Pro to work together, but seriously for 99.9% of people its just not necessary. You can do it how you want really as long you make sure everything is encoded in lagarith until your final export.

LaMqTa

fenneks

great job ;)

flushy

P.O.P

last question, is it possible to edit .avi files in sony vegas or AE, because it wont work with mine??? maybe im missing a codec or something i dunno, any help appreciated

Skyride

DUCS

Quoted from flushy

last question, is it possible to edit .avi files in sony vegas or AE, because it wont work with mine??? maybe im missing a codec or something i dunno, any help appreciated

Well .avi is just a container. Thats not the actual format.

Leshey

D.A
V.A.C.

about the “recording to a different partition” thing. I did a few tests right now and here’s what i found out.

first of all, it works :) if you type

startmovie “D:/TGAs/test” 480 raw

then the TGAs will go where they’re supposed to.
But if you record stuff using binds and VDMs then it won’t. I think that it’s because of the doubling quotation mark. Cuz if you use a VDM then inside it looks like

…commands “startmovie “D:/TGAs/test” 30 raw”…

same with binds
But you can actually bypass this problem. Instead of putting a startmovie command in your VDM/bind just put a command that executes a cfg with your recording commands.
So that your VDM will be

…commands “exec startrec”…

and the startrec is

host_framerate 480
host_timescale 0.0001
startmovie “D:/TGAs/test” 480 raw

Worked for me

Last edited by Leshey,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3