Forum

cp_obscure_remake_rc1 - Need a Mapper

Created 4th August 2009 @ 15:16

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 17 18 19 ... 109 Next »

Mark

Phase

Hey Byte, we just played a highlander on obscure and it went very well. Only about 3 of the people in it had played it before but everyone else said that it was a very good map afterwards. Also the FPS is great!

Is the next update done yet? I’m curious :>

Chubbsta

I think changes have been made, was going to play test it last night but that was before my internet dropped for ages and then a power cut struck :(

byte

Apologies boys and girls for the lack of updates to this post. Also quite ill at the moment so you’ll have to bare with me…Initially when this project started it was to me to provide the idea/layout/design/theme all the concepts and to actually make the map was codcrille’s job.

After 50 odd days we got a playtest version up and going for people to play on in pickups, all thanks to codcrille himself for making it possible, however unfortunately codcrille has become very busy with rl commitments and has had to step down in the amount of time to put into making the map. Thankfully he told me with warning/advance so i can find a replacement to continue the map.

This is partly why progress was a little slow, thankfully someone named larky (multiplay admin) has taken the role of completing the map for me, and judging by his previous maps i believe he will be awesome!

So my thanks go out to codcrille’s effort and his commitment motivation at the start and through the couple of months through this project, his efforts will not be forgotten for sure and i’ll make sure of it and he knows that too i hope :-)

After releasing it to the public to play in pickups the response as you know was very good. There is an update to the map but only gameplay/layout wise. 3 weeks from now it will look pretty if you’re wondering, not complete but pretty!

I will notify all pickup admins from other pickups channel i.e. the finns, germans, spaniards multiplays scandis and so on….

Changes

– The routing systems from cp2 to cp3 and cp3 to cp2 in that it’s a chokeish sorta system, this has now been fixed, the flow between the two is much smoother and fast paced. (thanks to Moose for a clinical description)
– The right side entrance pushing from cp2 to cp3 has been widened by 1.5 times
– The ramp room has now been extended so that the door is now open to cp3 and not
under the ramp (Thanks to genesis)

– The building into cp1 area was missing “something” and i believe it was an extra route, something similar to what fragga had mentioned so credit to him for some input on it, will make it easier to get in and push the enemies back to not hold lobby/top.

– The pillars on cp2 i think are a great addition it will give all classes the ability to jump up onto balcony from outside! and also block snipers owning from the distance….

– Some other fps optimization tweaks

– The cp1 spawns have been moved back a little , as the ratio of how “defendable:attackable” was 55%:45% making it easier to defend than attack. Now all spawns are a minimum +1 second longer than older version.

This will be the last version of the alpha stage.

Download cp_obscure_alphafinal
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1706584/cp_obscure_alphafinal.zip

One last thing the health pack in the air above cp3 has been a issue for certain people i think space came up with a valid arguement as to why it should be lowered, however…after alot of thinking and calculating would be better or more justified, i think it should stay in the position its currently set at, mainly because space the health pack at that height was only to be accessible from the balcony or the bridge and the “cliff” like edge underneath the bridge but not be accessible from the ground zero floor (rocket jump wise). I think that would be too much of a bonus for the soldiers and especially the demoman even more and would make it more “demoman” friendly too, and as it stands if the demo wants it he has to go all out or die. If i lowered it by much the demo could have the freedom to not crater at least for his aggressiveness and same for the soldier.

My thanks go out again to Codcrille <3 :)

3 weeks guys and you shall have a very pretty beta version!

Cheers

Byte

tragett

right, looked through the map quick, all changes look nice, only think i find odd is that the spawnrooms are… large, i dunno its probably just me, gj Byte and cocco :)

cMw

brilliant

klu

-[MG]-
MG//

Would be excellent if you could make a cheers room.

With textures like this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f0/Cheers_intro_logo.jpg

:D

Fragga

FRAGGA`s
RIP

Changes all look good, the rock at 2nd allows other classes to enter upper level and gives a spy, for example, the option to sneak in without doors opening.

The left side of the map still feels neglected to me, especially that little room with the small health pack, maybe once it’s textured it wont feel so bad. I had an interesting idea for that room if you want me to draw it out I will.

Fragga

FRAGGA`s
RIP

the choke between 2nd/3rd could be eliminated with this:

http://img162.imageshack.us/i/obcsurelefthousewatertu.jpg/

Either direct route to their house from yours or two routes one to their house and one in the middle under the point, this would also allow enemies who drop down a means of escaping. Either way this would force at least one enemy to defend further back thus spreading the play and easing the choke point.

At the moment the demoman can easily cover both doors on the left-side and the soldiers can easily cover the right-side with such a height advantage on the spire rocks, with this change the defending teams scouts would be able to flank the enemy and the attacking teams scouts would be able to enter into the enemy house unseen

Fragga

FRAGGA`s
RIP

then you can lower the health pack!

The changes all look pretty sweet :>

I’m prepared to defer to Byte with regard to the health pack placement at mid (after all you probably know the map slightly better than I do ;)) and I do think that your point regarding a lowering of the pack making it more attractive for demos to take is potentially valid.

Having said that I’d suggest perhaps having a bit of an experiment with this aspect in a future iteration of the map in order to see if any change play out in practice as we might expect. It seems like it’d be a fairly simple aspect to change, and as long as the mid section of the map wasn’t dramatically altered in the same iteration then you’d hopefully be able to get some robust data on what effect, if any, a lowering of the pack would have. If nothing else this would allow you to confirm that the current position is optimal and if so you can just switch it back in a further version for good :)

Fragga’s underwater route at mid looks pretty intriguing. I always think there’s a danger that water tunnels can seem a bit convoluted on some maps.. I guess it’s a judgement call whether the extra complexity would be worth it to add a new dimension to the map or not.

Last edited by Spaceboy McGhee,

Lestyan

i want play this map on leagues :D

ZeyOrk

Could you lower the fragga-pack a little bit dude?

F2

Danmark

Could you raise the fragga-pack a little bit dude?

Waebi

‹Con›

Could you remove the fragga-pack dude?

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 17 18 19 ... 109 Next »