Forum

feedback; the new mapsystem for the league

Created 5th April 2010 @ 11:53

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 Next »

Enef

fest
#wubafan

imo get rid of A/D altogether in map list, save em for ladder/fun leagues.

I have no problems with the fixed maps, in fact it was fun getting to play an equal amount of each map.

Like i say, get rid of stopwatch in the league, pl0x.

LUPUS

Remove Turbine and its all good. Also adding prolane wouldn’t hurt at all. :>

Warmaster

-[MG]-
HL

Quoted from Enef

imo get rid of A/D altogether in map list, save em for ladder/fun leagues.

I have no problems with the fixed maps, in fact it was fun getting to play an equal amount of each map.

Like i say, get rid of stopwatch in the league, pl0x.

Definitely not!

Stopwatch matches mix things up a little. Teams can (and dare I say must) use other classes as well which is always interesting.

But most of all, they are so damn exciting to watch! There is no other map that can be as intense as gravel pit!

Last edited by Warmaster,

Nagash

[CiC]
CiC

bo7?

Monkeh

.:ne:.

Fixed map system feedback, here goes,

Good points:
All teams play the same maps over the season so it is fairer
PCW’s are easier to get on all maps as teams need to practice
Variety of game play

Bad points:
Ermmmm, struggling here, yes all teams have maps they dont like, well tough, get over it, get a pcw or three and learn it.

I think maybe G’pit and Gorge once a season, fill the other fixtures with more granlands or Prolane or Yukon or….etc

Turbine is another hated map but it really shows the good teams from the not so good imo. As it’s the only map, (I think), where you have to push and hold at the same time it’s an interesting, if a little boring at times, map. The chance to use a lot of the utility classes makes it different too.

The A/D maps do often end in a draw but there is really nothing you can do about it. PLaying 3 times is laughable, so if you dont beat a team twice then you dont deserve to win the map. (full stop)

All in all it was a resounding success in my opinion, but maybe only one Turbine, Gorge and Gravel, mainly due to the backlash of public opinion, in the future?

Last edited by Monkeh,

rtan

-9w-

Quoted from Monkeh

Fixed map system feedback, here goes,

Good points:
All teams play the same maps over the season so it is fairer

Not really possible! As teams drop and fold so we might play 1 map of gorge more than some.

Last edited by rtan,

Enef

fest
#wubafan

The ABBA system is what annoys me most, it’s boring enough playing GPit/Gorge through once, never mind twice in quick succession.

Warmaster

-[MG]-
HL

Quoted from Monkeh

The A/D maps do often end in a draw but there is really nothing you can do about it. PLaying 3 times is laughable, so if you dont beat a team twice then you dont deserve to win the map. (full stop)

Why is it laughable? If you only play it twice you can’t afford to make mistakes which always means people will play the map the exact same way as they have always done. They won’t try out any other things as they simply can’t afford to lose a round.

If it’s bo3 however, a team can try something completely different. Use some unexpected classes w/e. If it turns out it didn’t work out, they still have a chance to fix it in the third round.

It’s a bit like the law of large numbers only applied with rounds. The more rounds there are played, the more likely it becomes the best team comes out on top. Not really a great analogy, especially not since the amount of rounds has to be limited anyway, but you get the idea.

All i’m saying is: the reason why everyone loves 5cp maps is because you CAN afford to make mistakes, you CAN afford to lose some rounds. In the end, the best team will have won. This can’t be said of gravelpit atm (imo). A simple fix of making it bo3 would make it more interesting.

The current map system is good though, fixed maps are a great addition, and the maps are good as well. (We have yet to play gorge, but after truly hating it, we are starting to like it after some practice.) Like pledge said however, the cp modes of tf2 are a lot more interesting than ctf. I wouldn’t mind a season without ctf.

Last edited by Warmaster,

ThePledge

Haven’t played Gorge yet in an official, so bear this in mind when I’m talking about Gorge :P

I love the map system as it is right now. I think 9 maps is a bit too much, around 6 would be better (every map would be played 3x), but the fixed maps make us focus on maps that you suck at, as a team. And tbh, my team was incredibly bad on both Well and Turbine at the start of the season, but even though we hated it at the start, after lots of practice we were getting better and we even start to like Well… something I would’ve never thought.

IMO three variations in gamemodes is a bit too much. I’d say that the 5-CP maps are very good, and the A/D-CP maps are a nice change, but CTF is something that just doesn’t work in tf2. I like Turbine just because it’s different and requires a lot of teamplay, but I feel the gamemode CTF just doesn’t work well in tf2 at all. Having four 5CP maps, and two A/B-maps, would make for a more enjoyable season and for less maps to practice (especially for new teams).

Before the season I was in favour of putting Gorge in, to experience with new maps, but now that I’ve played it more, I’m starting to like it even more. It’s a very welcome variety to the “standard” way of play, and I’m also in favour of trying out maps like Gorge more often. That way, we can make sure the map pool for next season consists of new, challenging maps, and the good old granlands to make sure not everything is new for the players :)

Just my two cents.

Last edited by ThePledge,

Monkeh

@Warmaster: Playing through G’pit 3 times is laughable imo because it could take an hour and a half! (or some other large number) Plus you would get teams complaining because the other team attacked first blah, blah, blah. It would just be a nightmare. Also add another map onto that and it’s a 2 hour match! Excessive to say the least.

G’pit Gorge and Turbine only once FTW!

@R7an: Teams dropping is always gonna screw things up, but the same thing applies if your team LOVES Freight and G’pit say and you only manage to get those map picks in one match and that team folds, you’re in exactly the same situation.

Nagash

[CiC]
CiC

tbh, if stopwatch matches are boring, learn to win them fast, or lose them fast, as they can be over in a couple of mins or last ages

Johs

FNR!

Quoted from ThePledge

IMO three variations in gamemodes is a bit too much. I’d say that the 5-CP maps are very good, and the A/D-CP maps are a nice change, but CTF is something that just doesn’t work in tf2. I like Turbine just because it’s different and requires a lot of teamplay, but I feel the gamemode CTF just doesn’t work well in tf2 at all. Having four 5CP maps, and two A/B-maps, would make for a more enjoyable season and for less maps to practice (especially for new teams).

This

Last edited by Johs,

lork

remove turbine and well, add yukon and mainline.

i enjoy turbine but i think that jukon it´s better

Warmaster

-[MG]-
HL

Quoted from Monkeh

@Warmaster: Playing through G’pit 3 times is laughable imo because it could take an hour and a half! (or some other large number) Plus you would get teams complaining because the other team attacked first blah, blah, blah. It would just be a nightmare. Also add another map onto that and it’s a 2 hour match! Excessive to say the least.

G’pit Gorge and Turbine only once FTW!

Are you kidding me? 1 hour 30 mins. I have yet to meet the teams who manage to play multiple 30 minutes round in a row.

And playing a map only once when every other map gets to be played twice, just feels like a step closer to map removal. The next season, people will say: ‘Why not remove gpit/gorge/turbine? We only have to play them once and we don’t want to practice those shitty maps anyway! Ban please!”

crzfst

Quoted from Warmaster

[…]
…The next season, people will say: ‘Why not remove gpit/gorge/turbine? We only have to play them once and we don’t want to practice those shitty maps anyway! Ban please!”

Hey, that could work.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 Next »