Forum

feedback; the new mapsystem for the league

Created 5th April 2010 @ 11:53

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 7 Next »

Defur

Well this season we switched from teams picking their maps to the admins picking them for ous and were heading torwards the end of this season – which made me wondering about the feedback about this

What do you guys think about the new system?

I personally think its a good way to let new maps into the legue ( even though i dont like obscure, gully and gorge I can still see the point with it ), and it kind of gives the lower divisions the feeling of equality seeing as only the higher divs had this system before.

( sorry if this has been brought up before, i just feel like making small talk )

Last edited by Defur,

d2m

vertex »
derptex9

I think fixed maps have worked well for the majority of teams, listening to the feedback that I have received directly. It has offered a fairer system for people, meaning that teams have had to work on their weaker maps as well – making some of them stronger.

Personally, I think that every team playing fixed maps gives a clearer result at the end of the season as the lower skilled teams in each division haven’t had the opportunity to pick shitty maps (negative picks) against the higher skilled teams, in the hope that they can beat them on it. It’s nice to know that your opponents are all playing the same maps as you.

I would think we will continue with a similar system in Season 8, hopefully with the opportunity to review new maps that are being created over the coming weeks in one night cups, and seeing if any of them are worthy in a chance of being in the league or in the 6th Cup :)

Quoted from Defur

and it kind of gives the lower divisions the feeling of equality seeing as only the higher divs had this system before.

Every division used map picks previously btw x

Last edited by d2m,

Smofo

Im THAT good!

To be honest, I didn’t like it since I missed my precious granlands I sometimes used to play badlands twice on an official and now I have to play custom maps(which some of them are quite good) but I haven’t had much practise on them even though I get a week of practise it still doesn’t seem enough as the countless badlands hours I had.

Last edited by Smofo,

rtan

-9w-

I think Gravel and Gorge need to be changed, please make it best of 3. Around 60% of the games on these maps finish 1-1.

d2m

vertex »
derptex9

Quoted from rtan

I think Gravel and Gorge need to be changed, please make it best of 3. Around 60% of the games on these maps finish 1-1.

Yeah I kinda agree with that, but in essence we’d be removing the ability for a map to be drawn. So if we set a precendent by doing that, what would stop people from wanting to add a golden cap to any standard map that ends drawn?

I thoroughly enjoyed it, loved seeing more than the same old maps every time (I’ll never get tired of badlands, but I like playing more than just 1 map). Even though I don’t like all maps used (Turdbine), overall I think it was a good move and definitely need to stay.

Quoted from rtan

Please don’t. Both maps can already take well over half an hour.

dauk

remove overtime in turbine :C

Snyyppis

RLM

Quoted from dauk

remove turdbine :C

fixed

Quoted from d2m

[…]

Yeah I kinda agree with that, but in essence we’d be removing the ability for a map to be drawn. So if we set a precendent by doing that, what would stop people from wanting to add a golden cap to any standard map that ends drawn?

Add golden caps worth 2 points (and the loser still gets one for the regular time draw).

Waster

I like the fixed maps. Nothing wrong with that. Its good that every team has to play the same maps in the season. Although with dropped teams i think some teams are lucky and can finish the season without playing gorge at all.

What i dont like is the mappool. Not every team is possible to play a lot. So besides the officials they practice one time or not at all. Now i have played a whole month with only obscure, turbine, gullywash, well, gorge. And all the opponents also wants to practice some of those maps. Result is that i never can play the fun maps granlands. Just halve the mappool or think of something for the lower skilled teams. But for some teams its impossible to practice and get the teamplay right for each and every map.

Defur

I think turbine is a good map, especially for the lower division teams in the sense that they get to learn/practice how to gradually take over parts of the map, and how to flank and push at the right times more throughly ( a.k.a turtlemap ) – also train teams in patience – which seems to be a problem for alot of teams/players ( them fraggers ).

And basicly cant win on the map if you dont play smart, thinking one step ahead.
Once you’ve mastered turbine with a team you can basicly transfer that knowledge into other maps, unlike badlands were it seems like its been made to be playable for people that are blindfolded. So there are actual reasons to have turbine stay imo, not just *we have to have a ctf map and we cant take 2fort so..*.

dauk

Azdean

WTH!?

I love the new system but there are a few maps that I feel shouldn’t be in it. For starters remove gorge, I don’t know a team that enjoys playing that map that’s outside of div 6. Its horrible and its so easy to turtle you can pretty much force a draw with ease.

Dekamano

scenic

Quoted from dauk

+1, lost a game because we didn’t know turbine had overtime :(

danny.

I hate wptf2l because of their mapsystem and now … etf2l did the same :S

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 7 Next »