Forum

Fun with Flags

Created 18th April 2013 @ 13:28

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 ... 11 12 13 Next »

garden

Quoted from Freakie

[…]

Sorry, what’s simply not true? Are you saying Northern Irishmen speak an entirely different language and have a completely different culture from the rest of Ireland or am I misunderstanding something here?

Same language =/= same country. Just ask the entirety of the commonwealth. And yes, the cultures are different. Similar to the ways English culture is different from that of Wales/Scotland. Also, there is a significant number of people in NI who identify as being British, so would be very insulted if you called them Irish. This is the kind of thing that people have died for.

Last edited by garden,

Bulow

GG

Quoted from Freakie

[…]

Sorry, what’s simply not true? Are you saying Northern Irishmen speak an entirely different language and have a completely different culture from the rest of Ireland or am I misunderstanding something here?

ABORT ABORT

CHERRY

Quoted from garden

yeah I think there is definitely something to say for consistency. If Scotland/Wales have the same status as NI and have flags, the only reason not to give NI a flag is to not upset people. However, some people will be very upset as a consequence

[…]

I think the Kosovan analogy still holds, even if I bungled it a bit. and that is simply not true. I am not even remotely Irish.

Their status is different. Wales and Scotlands have their own flags, because they are parts of the Great Britain and have their government, while NI doesn’t. But that doesn’t mean we can’t add all UK countries even if NI doesn’t have flag.

Last edited by CHERRY,

garden

Quoted from CHERRY

[…]
Their status is different. Wales and Scotlandare parts of the Great Britain and have their government, while NI doesn’t.

Not really sure what geographical connectedness has to do with it. They are all in the British Isles.
NI has a local assembly, and according to wikipedia “The Government of Northern Ireland is, generally speaking, whatever political body exercises political authority over Northern Ireland. A number of separate systems of government exist or have existed in Northern Ireland.”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_of_Northern_Ireland
I am not sure if this is much different from Scotland and Wales, but there is a government of sorts.

Scissors

(ETF2L Donator)

I thought political discussions weren’t allowed

CHERRY

Quoted from garden

[…]

Not really sure what geographical connectedness has to do with it. They are all in the British Isles.
NI has a local assembly, and according to wikipedia “The Government of Northern Ireland is, generally speaking, whatever political body exercises political authority over Northern Ireland. A number of separate systems of government exist or have existed in Northern Ireland.”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_of_Northern_Ireland
I am not sure if this is much different from Scotland and Wales, but there is a government of sorts.

It’s very different, basically they have all what NI had before mid seventies, not sure why did NI loose it. They are all parts of the British Isles, but NI isn’t part of Great Britain, but again I’m not arguing with you whether we should add Northern Ireland’s flag or not, but more about putting the = sign in terms of their administration status between those 3 countries.
We will add Union Jack as the Northern Ireland’s flag. UK constituent countries aren’t real countries with their foreign affairs offices, but at least for the consistency we will add it and it’s official.
Quoted from Scissors

I thought political discussions weren’t allowed

You’re right it’s not allowed and? We’re not taking one side (except for Freakie) and throw shit at each other. We were discussing which flag we should use to stay politically neutral, what’s wrong with that?

Last edited by CHERRY,

emb

(Legend)
ciortai

Added Northern Ireland as selectable country for the sake of consistency with other UK constitution countries.

Popcorp

gg was intense

Russian Guyovich

(Surging Meat Cable)
[T-A!]LoS

Who gave Freakie the can opener?

garden

Quoted from emb

Added Northern Ireland as selectable country for the sake of consistency with other UK constitution countries.

have had my profile updated.

many thanks.

Carlos Kaiser

Quoted from CHERRY

[…]
Which is making a flag for every questionable territory like Gibraltar :p

Gibraltar is a separate country though, unlike the 4 “countries” of the UK.

Admirable

(Toucan Ambassador)

If only all fleg disputes passed off so peacefully :D

CHERRY

Quoted from Carlos Kaiser

[…]
Gibraltar is a separate country though, unlike the 4 “countries” of the UK.

It was about following FIFA’s views.

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

Shouldn’t you use the Ulster flag? If someone identifies as Northern Irish rather than British or Irish, wouldn’t they want their own flag?

Admirable

(Toucan Ambassador)

Quoted from fraac

Shouldn’t you use the Ulster flag? If someone identifies as Northern Irish rather than British or Irish, wouldn’t they want their own flag?

Well that would depend on your definition of Ulster?

What a minefield!

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 ... 11 12 13 Next »