Forum

Fun with Flags

Created 18th April 2013 @ 13:28

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 ... 10 11 12 13 Next »

Max

Fusion

Quoted from CHERRY

Sorry to let you all down guys, but as far as I know split flags are meant for teams:
[…]
[…]

That’s sad to hear. But isn’t Konr’s flag sweden/england or something?

Freakie

KOLAR
.awkward

Quoted from Max

[…]

That’s sad to hear. But isn’t Konr’s flag sweden/england or something?

You can change to any currently existing flag, but no new multi-flags will be made for players.

garden

Quoted from CHERRY

[…]
It’s not official Northern Ireland’s flag since the Government and Parliament of Northern Ireland were abolished by the Parliament of the United Kingdom, so we won’t add it.
It’s as official as Irish tricolour which is flown by northern nationalists just like Ulster banner is used by loyalists or St Patrick’s Saltire (this one is at least still officially used sometimes).
ETF2L stays away from politics so even though it’s not up to me I doubt it will be added unless it gets official again.

I understand your trepidation, but still refusing to allow the flag is itself a political act. Inaction doesn’t equal neutrality. Not really helped either by allowing the tricolour. I understand your reasoning, but from the outside it does not look good.

Not happy about this, but there seems to be little one can do about it.

If you don’t add the flag, that’s fine. But I can’t list it as my country on my profile, even without a flag? You cannot deny it is a country.

Freakie

KOLAR
.awkward

Quoted from garden

[…]

I understand your trepidation, but still refusing to allow the flag is itself a political act. Inaction doesn’t equal neutrality. Not really helped either by allowing the tricolour. I understand your reasoning, but from the outside it does not look good.

If you don’t add the flag, that’s fine. But I can’t list it as my country on my profile, even without a flag? You cannot deny it is a country.

Why not just use the Irish tricolor? It’s about as close as you can get to an Irish flag.

garden

Quoted from Freakie

[…]

Why not just use the Irish tricolor? It’s about as close as you can get to an Irish flag.

Why don’t Sri Lankans just call themselves Indian? Why don’t Kosovans can themselves Serbian? etc

CHERRY

Quoted from Freakie

[…]

Not exactly. Tricolour became a flag in 1922, one year after Republic of Ireland got independence from Great Britain while Northern Ireland stayed in the union. Before both parts of Ireland used Saint Patrick’s Saltire when they were both in the UK.
30 years later in 1953, northern Ireland got it’s own flag Ulster Banner, but after the government was abolished in 1972 the flag is used only by loyalists, while nationalists decided to use tricolour. I found out however what is the official flag of the Northern Ireland and according to the mr. Nicholas Scott which was in the British government after the abolition the flag of the Northern Ireland is Union Jack.
http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/written_answers/1986/jul/25/flag-of-st-patrick

Quoted from garden

[…]

Would you feel satisfied if we add Northern Ireland with Union flag? People will be able to see that you’re from the Northern Ireland in the new design which shows country’s names on the user profile.

Last edited by CHERRY,

Bulow

GG

First example of Hansard being referenced on ETF2L?

If you allow the Scottish, Welsh and English flags, then there is no reason to not allow the N.I. flag, since, funnily enough, their official flag is also the Union Jack.

CHERRY

Quoted from Bulow

First example of Hansard being referenced on ETF2L?

If you allow the Scottish, Welsh and English flags, then there is no reason to not allow the N.I. flag, since, funnily enough, their official flag is also the Union Jack.

That’s propably what we will do.
It would be easier if we could stick to the UNs opinion on everything, but we already added England, Welsh and Scotland.

garden

Quoted from CHERRY

Would you feel satisfied if we add Northern Ireland with Union flag? People will be able to see that you’re from the Northern Ireland in the new design which shows country’s names on the user profile.

I’d be happy, but you might want to run it by some other northern irish people, I can hardly be considered representative of their views

Bulow

GG

Quoted from CHERRY

[…]
That’s propably what we will do.
It would be easier if we could stick to the UNs opinion on everything, but we already added England, Welsh and Scotland.

You can claim to be copying FIFA’s views, if it makes any difference.

Admirable

(Toucan Ambassador)

I’m with these guys… remove the English, Welsh and Scottish flags.

CHERRY

Quoted from Bulow

[…]

You can claim to be copying FIFA’s views, if it makes any difference.

Which is making a flag for every quoestionable territory like Gibraltar :p

Freakie

KOLAR
.awkward

Quoted from garden

[…]

Why don’t Sri Lankans just call themselves Indian? Why don’t Kosovans can themselves Serbian? etc

Sri Lanka has been culturally and politically disinvolved with India since basically forever and Kosovans are more Albanian than Serbian. Northern and Independent Irishmen are all Irish, unlike the examples you provided.

garden

yeah I think there is definitely something to say for consistency. If Scotland/Wales have the same status as NI and have flags, the only reason not to give NI a flag is to not upset people. However, some people will be very upset as a consequence

Quoted from Freakie

[…]

Sri Lanka has been culturally and politically disinvolved with India since basically forever and Kosovans are more Albanian than Serbian. Northern and Independent Irishmen are all Irish, unlike the examples you provided.

I think the Kosovan analogy still holds, even if I bungled it a bit. and that is simply not true. I am not even remotely Irish.

Last edited by garden,

Freakie

KOLAR
.awkward

Quoted from garden

yeah I think there is definitely something to say for consistency. If Scotland/Wales have the same status as NI and have flags, the only reason not to give NI a flag is to not upset people. However, some people will be very upset as a consequence

[…]

I think the Kosovan analogy still holds, even if I bungled it a bit. and that is simply not true. I am not even remotely Irish.

Sorry, what’s simply not true? Are you saying Northern Irishmen speak an entirely different language and have a completely different culture from the rest of Ireland or am I misunderstanding something here?

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 ... 10 11 12 13 Next »