Forum

Vanilla + medlocks (+ maps, apparently)

Created 3rd May 2011 @ 15:07

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 46 Next »

Swarlz

Quoted from bulletproofsmurf

[…]

But some of us don’t want to see etf2l die because of mismanagement. So surely it’s worth having a bitch and a moan anyway?!

And I realise this debate has been rehashed a lot in the past- but like I said some of us don’t check the forums everyday.

I guess seeing as I sit F5 ETF2L every 5 minutes it’s different – I understand the need of this debate and think it needs solved – but like skyride has mentioned we’re getting nowhere with it, people just aren’t budging the only way we will see people want medlocks is if they get good at TF2 or just listen to people who understand the game better. You guys know yourself the fun medlocks brings to TF2 from i-series.

Vanilla + Medlocks +Pain Train/Equaliser wouldn’t be too bad as a cinnamon alternative

I don’t think we should change the cinnamon ruleset for the simple reason I don’t care what the nobs in the Premier division think. I have fun, and after all I’m the only person that matters. If they want to run up the stairs and have a tantrum in their esl bedrooms then that’s fine; they were adopted anyway.

On a more serious note, I hate how the views of the premier division players seem to count more then those of lower division players. I reckon all of the premier players will realise how awful the ESL website and wire are and come back home

PS: If ETF2L is made vanilla I will probably take to the streets and burn something down. I played comp before unlocks came out, and I don’t want to go back. TF2 is a lot more fun now then it ever was imho

_Ben

;?

just cave in to xzar next season, let him have his laugh and victory wank

vanilla ice cream all round

Monkeh

.:ne:.
.:ne:.

I know a few who wouldn’t be happy, especially at the thought of losing the equaliser. I reckon that damn pickaxe would be the major stumbling block.

Go Medlocks plus axe of doom and I reckon 97% of people I know would be fine. Medlocks only and that would drop to about 75-80%.

These numbers are complete gueswork, but about right I reckon.

Waebi

‹Con›

Quoted from Spike Himself

In a perhaps more interesting light; Would you refuse to sign up for an etf2l season if it’d be run around a vanilla+medlocks ruleset, or do you know anyone that would?

if you include the crusader’s crossbow, I’d sign up, sure (IT’S AMAZING). Otherwise, fuck no.

really now, I’m not too fussed when it comes to vanilla or not, my most enjoyable games happened at a time when there were no or just the medic unlocks, and I suspect that’s how many others feel as well. I highly doubt people would stop playing in etf2l cause it went van+med, but then again, look at wireplay and make split rulesets if that were the case.

Last edited by Waebi,

Quoted from Spike Himself

In a perhaps more interesting light; Would you refuse to sign up for an etf2l season if it’d be run around a vanilla+medlocks ruleset, or do you know anyone that would?

I wouldn’t not sign up for it, as I’m bigger then that, but I would probably whinge in the TC mumble and during matches for a bit

Skully

Quoted from Shabbaman

[…]

Why? I’ve been playing TF2 since beta, yet I get even more unhappy with every new unlock. I know a lot of people that stopped playing because they got annoyed with all the hats and weapons. I doubt there will be more div6 drops because of banned weapons than there are prem drops (“not signed up this season”) because of unbanned weapons.

Ive always seen the unlocks as pub weapons, the hats dont bother me much, however as Ive said, there are unlocks that are competitive because of what they offer, like the equalizer and sandwich, i42 was my first comp with vanillia and I must admit I enjoyed it, but I felt that a couple unlocks were needed, hence me saying using wireplay unlocks

Skully

Quoted from Monkeh

I know a few who wouldn’t be happy, especially at the thought of losing the equaliser. I reckon that damn pickaxe would be the major stumbling block.

Go Medlocks plus axe of doom and I reckon 97% of people I know would be fine. Medlocks only and that would drop to about 75-80%.

These numbers are complete gueswork, but about right I reckon.

Permzilla

(Legend)
(☞゚ヮ゚)☞
WiK?

I don’t see why people complain tbh, just go play ESL/WP if you don’t like it

Skyride

DUCS

Quoted from Monkeh

If the scout update had come first, (OK with a non-broken version of the FAN :p), then we may be having this argument about “Scoutlocks only FTW!!”

I dunno man. I think the scout update was when people started to go “are these updates really a good thing?”. There was certainly thoughts of it in my public community at the time. What fucks me right off is when people talk about unlocks as if all pubbers love them and its the horrible nasty prem players who want to get rid of them so tf2 can be boring and they can win everything. When actually, I can literally name dozens of people I know that I played public with, and have since quit the game citing unlocks as being one of the biggest reasons, long before a lot of the pro-unlocks people now had even heard of TF2.

Public TF2 was a much more fun experience 2-3 years ago. I’m sure there’s a bit of rose-tinted glasses going on there, but I’m adamant it was more enjoyable. I didn’t play competitive quite that far back though, but I can presume the same applies.

Mors Immortalis

KoP!?

So, any of you even know how each unlock looks like know it’s name know what it supposed to do? No? Like most of us. Yet there are some useful weapons we know and might use if people agree too.
Also – game is fully playable without any of them.

Vanilla / allow all / ban all / blah blah blah

We might try to force any of the rule set but this is changing every season / update and makes people angry cause they have to learn new stats for some silly weapons. Yet “most” teams cant find a proper way to beat non standard class line-up team.

People don’t want to learn new way dealing with something they don’t know.

There is no solution that will fit every player in the league, there always will be someone who don’t want to play on certain rule set.

and all we want to do is just play the game

personally I’d allow some well known / often used weapons but if we have to we will also play vanilla – not a big deal

kuma

Quoted from Skully

[…]

Ive always seen the unlocks as pub weapons, the hats dont bother me much, however as Ive said, there are unlocks that are competitive because of what they offer, like the equalizer and sandwich, i42 was my first comp with vanillia and I must admit I enjoyed it, but I felt that a couple unlocks were needed, hence me saying using wireplay unlocks

They aren’t competitive, they are purely pub.

Read http://www.vanillatf2.org/2011/03/unlock-my-heart-friends/ for the definition of competitive.

Quoted from Skyride

[…]

I dunno man. I think the scout update was when people started to go “are these updates really a good thing?”. There was certainly thoughts of it in my public community at the time. What fucks me right off is when people talk about unlocks as if all pubbers love them and its the horrible nasty prem players who want to get rid of them so tf2 can be boring and they can win everything. When actually, I can literally name dozens of people I know
that I played public with, and have since quit the game citing unlocks as being one of the biggest reasons, long before a lot of the pro-unlocks people now had even heard of TF2.

Public TF2 was a much more fun experience 2-3 years ago. I’m sure there’s a bit of rose-tinted glasses going on there, but I’m adamant it was more enjoyable. I didn’t play competitive quite that far back though, but I can presume the same applies.

If I’m honest, I find TF2 comp and pub a lot more fun now then I did when I started 800-odd days ago and in the beta respectively. Just my opinion though.

Skully

Quoted from kuma

[…]

They aren’t competitive, they are purely pub.

Read http://www.vanillatf2.org/2011/03/unlock-my-heart-friends/ for the definition of competitive.

good insighful read, kinda sums it up. Im just gonna say in any case, vanillia should be kept but with SOME unlocks that have proven themselves, so the usual med locks and the equalizer

Sketch

MM

Every successful gaming scene follows what their top players think is best. I don’t want to quote past decisions in etf2l because you all know them, and you cant imagine playing any other way now. Or if you can then you will moan about it for 20 pages.

Personally I find the worst part of the medlocks debate is that we pick and choose which unlocks there are. This causes moaning and bitching from anybody who didnt get their favorite troll weapon included. Either choose all or none of the unlocks simples. The only other viable aproach i can see would be to only give unlocks to the weakest class in 6v6 and nobody else (the soldier)(the medic) imo we whould have to be selective about soldier unlocks but tbh if it comes to an argument over that! Well the community is obviously not mature enough to work out a compromise so etf2l should just go full vanilla or full unlocks and fuck them all.

There is always the argument that the unlocks break open new tactics. Errrm true they do… but have you even explored all the possible tactics for vanilla with no medlocks yet? the answer is no in case you were wondering. This is a null argument. That is without even touching on the kritzkreig. so maybe it is too early to introduce these new tactics into competitive play? vanilla is not stale yet! neither is vanilla + medlocks!

The unlocks used are essentially used a buff. The vast majority if used in proper “team play” give “almost” (yes almost) no disadvantage to the user, and a huge advantage to their team. I wont list them, it is endless and pointless.

The unlocks as a whole were designed by valve to be fair trade-offs when used in public play, they were designed FOR public play, to be USED IN PUBLIC PLAY! The only unlocks that have been designed for competitive play are arguably; The gunboats, The GRU (yes we asked for those in the old beta) and the Direct Hit. all of which we have BANNED! lol

Finally, the argument that unlocks are expected to be in the competitive play environment by pub players, is Bullshit. Over the last week i have been teaching two pub players the ropes of competitive tf2 (go ahead laugh at me) and their biggest greviance with tf2?

“why are there so many weapons that i dont have?”
“why do they keep getting cheap shots with that piss stuff?”
“why cant it be simpler?”

These are just a few of the endless list of questions i got after our first night of tf2. so erm that argument must be invalid also. this is obviouslt a small selection of players to base this conclusion on, but tbh they were also a bit perplexed that they could use some unlocks and not others, and when asked both would have preferred to just have the basic setup.

tldr. unlocks argument stoopid. shud be all or nothing. maybe we come to a compromise if we was all growned ups

Last edited by Sketch,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 46 Next »