TF2 on Ubuntu/Linux fps

Created 31st December 2010 @ 11:16

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 5 6

tossr

XP.

GangsterAlgot

Quoted from BiG|Raven

I love religious wars!

Well, why not actually move on from the technical part to the religious part.

What I see as the primary argument for linux has nothing to do with technical specs or security. In linux YOU own and administrate your system. You don’t rely on mandatory updates from microsoft or proprietary software (yes, proprietary graphics drivers are needed and I don’t like it). Everything done on your computer is done by you and started by you.

As an effect you can completely control all the services that runs on your system. For example my laptop when started (with X and wlan up and running) uses only 80MB ram. Try doing that on windows.

Also you can (and I emphasize can as you are not required too) compile your own kernel and remove bloated obsolete stuff you don’t need and further streamline your system.

Simply put I regard linux as a better platform for high performance computing (as games, rendering, mathematics and so on…). It’s not a coincidence that all high performance computing centers around the world runs some flavor of unix/linux.

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from GangsterAlgot

yes, proprietary graphics drivers are needed and I don’t like it

nouveau, intel, vesa, radeon?

all open-source non-prop drivers. proprietary graphics drivers are not ‘needed’, only ‘wanted’ if you want 3d accel.

Last edited by octochris,

GangsterAlgot

Quoted from octochris

only ‘wanted’ if you want 3d accel.

Sorry I meant needed for games.

Last edited by GangsterAlgot,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 5 6