Forum

Gravelpit in the map pool?

Created 30th November 2010 @ 22:32

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »

xerxes

WWCD
n2o

Good point in every way.

But if melee round works fine in every game and you want to make it standard in gpit we could just skip the second round and then also the third and let the stopwatch mode like it is for the first and only round.

The playtime would shrink to something around 20 minutes maximal. That is what the thread is about. That gpit would take too long sometimes.

This would also fix it and without something stupid crap like starting in your base again after you capped the third point and have to start over again. Maybe with setuptime again?

But isn’t the biggest reason why gpit is played twice that the slightest mistake of only one player could make you lose the whole map?

kuma

Quoted from xerxes

But if melee round works fine in every game and you want to make it standard in gpit we could just skip the second round and then also the third and let the stopwatch mode like it is for the first and only round.

You’re right, that’s an idea.

This would also fix it and without something stupid crap like starting in your base again after you capped the third point and have to start over again. Maybe with setuptime again?

It’s not ideal, but setup time wouldn’t be counted in the 15 mins. Not a big deal, would make the round 2-3 more mins at max.

But isn’t the biggest reason why gpit is played twice that the slightest mistake of only one player could make you lose the whole map?

Yeah, so you wouldn’t be completely penalised as your defence won’t end after you lose cp3, you’ll get another chance. While if you keep stopwatch but only play 1 round up to 3 cps, one mistake could cost the whole map, yes.

Last edited by kuma,

xerxes

WWCD
n2o

Quoted from kuma

[…]

Yeah, so you wouldn’t be completely penalised as your defence won’t end after you lose cp3, you’ll get another chance. While if you keep stopwatch but only play 1 round up to 3 cps, one mistake could cost the whole map, yes.

That is what I already mentioned.

I understand and accept your thoughts but even if I try I can not get into your 15min Attack/Defend Idea.

You yourself said that at the current gamestyle most teams decide to defend one point (A or B). Under the allegation that this would not change the time you sit and wait while the attacking team caps the undefended point will double itself. Isn’t that the most boring time when you can see the whole team capping?

I can give examples over and over and of course you can refute them all with other examples.

BUt I have fun wrintin here. ;-)

kuma

Quoted from xerxes

[…]
You yourself said that at the current gamestyle most teams decide to defend one point (A or B). Under the allegation that this would not change the time you sit and wait while the attacking team caps the undefended point will double itself. Isn’t that the most boring time when you can see the whole team capping?

It won’t double the time spent capping an undefended point, as it’s not like you’re capping more often (there will be less rounds overall). It will increase the ratio of action to capping within the 15 minutes if the current metagame is played.

But maybe new starts like attacking 2 points at once will evolve, who knows. I can understand why people wouldn’t want to change it if they’re comfortable with the current style, and it’s just a suggestion. Looking at how Turbine is actually good now with a simple rule change makes me think gpit can be fun all the way through too.

xerxes

WWCD
n2o

Quoted from kuma

[…]

It won’t double the time spent capping an undefended point, as it’s not like you’re capping more often (there will be less rounds overall). It will increase the ratio of action to capping within the 15 minutes if the current metagame is played.

Actually it stays the same when you only have the normal no deciderround situation. Each Team caps the undefnded point 2 times over the 2 times they attack. With your gamemode every team cap the undefended point at least twice. SO the boredom time stays the same. :-D

Quoted from kuma

But maybe new starts like attacking 2 points at once will evolve, who knows. I can understand why people wouldn’t want to change it if they’re comfortable with the current style, and it’s just a suggestion. Looking at how Turbine is actually good now with a simple rule change makes me think gpit can be fun all the way through too.

Many teams start to attack the defended point after they cleared the undefenden, while only one or two scouts cap whats left to cap.

PS: This is becoming a 2 person thread with no progress at all.

Last edited by xerxes,

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Valve should turn gp into a 5cap map.

SnowiE

-9w-
-9m-

5 point CP is the beautiful game of football with graceful eb and flow, gravelpit is the brutal penalty shoot out with tears and misery. There’s no sense of achievement for the losing team, either you win everything or you win nothing. Before Season 8 I did an analysis of PwR vs Dignitas from Assembly on gravelpit, the medics both spent less than half the match in or near combat. There’s way too much downtime where nothing happens.

CTF has more of a chance of producing fast paced gameplay, but we need a map with more than two viable base entrances which don’t go past the respawn.

Mark

Phase

Seems like every prem player is saying that turbine is amazing with the new rules, Snowie, when is ETF2L going to follow up?

Monkeh

.:ne:.

Quoted from SnowiE

Before Season 8 I did an analysis of PwR vs Dignitas from Assembly on gravelpit, the medics both spent less than half the match in or near combat.

Do you have any analysis of a 5CP map and ‘medic involvment quotient?’

Just wondering how different it would be. Considering it takes 40 seconds at least to build uber, I would think an average push lasts considerably less than that, so wouldn’t it be about the same MIQ?

herpderp

DAKKA

Quoted from Monkeh

[…]

Do you have any analysis of a 5CP map and ‘medic involvment quotient?’

Just wondering how different it would be. Considering it takes 40 seconds at least to build uber, I would think an average push lasts considerably less than that, so wouldn’t it be about the same MIQ?

Probably not, as attacking team you can opt to just build uber in your spawn while the rest of your team tries to bomb on the medic to force/kill.

You can’t really do that on a 5cp map.

Yes, it’s good!

Monkeh

Quoted from herpderp

You can’t really do that on a 5cp map.

Not so sure. If we’re holding Badlands mid for example, without uber, then very often we’ll go to the back train to build. Too far for them to jump on the medic easily, so effectively safe and in spawn-ish.

I might actually have a look at one of my demos with a stopwatch and time how long I’m near/involved with ‘action’.

Some decent points made by Snowie.

Gpit as a decider map, unless people cba to play Viaduct!

herpderp

DAKKA

Quoted from Monkeh

[…]

Not so sure. If we’re holding Badlands mid for example, without uber, then very often we’ll go to the back train to build. Too far for them to jump on the medic easily, so effectively safe and in spawn-ish.

I might actually have a look at one of my demos with a stopwatch and time how long I’m near/involved with ‘action’.

You will spend a lot more near/involved in action on a 5cp map due to the midfight, the situation you describe can happen quite often, but the enemy can attempt to force you out. This doesn’t occur on Gravelpit due to the dynamics of A/D gameplay.

The difference might not be huge (depending on how you approach the maps ofcourse) but you definatly see more combat/are near combat more often than on Gpit.

Anathema

Had some of my best games on gravelpit.
From a competitive perspective I do think the map is a bit unforgiving.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »