Forum

Gravelpit in the map pool?

Created 30th November 2010 @ 22:32

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 ... 8 Next »

WildEast

.:EnG!:.
<3

Can be a good map, but not for 3 times/season no..
you don’t really find a lot of willing teams on irc to play it

Linus

[d¿s]

Quoted from 2nuts

In my experience people who hate it, does so because it’s one of few maps you can’t win by pure DM skill.

No, people who hate it, hate it because most of the time it’s just really god damn boring and slow. Regardless of that, I think it should be in the map pool, but shouldn’t be featured as much as it is currently. 1-2 times a season would be enough.

howdeh

Perilous
WUL

turbine is the best map ever.

S19

eXtreme

Quoted from WildEast

Can be a good map, but not for 3 times/season no..
you don’t really find a lot of willing teams on irc to play it

If you can find someone on irc that would like to play gravelpit contact me. One night I contacted 3 teams and when they saw gravelpit they quitted from the server.

But here everyone likes it. I’m starting to think that I’m unluky in finding teams on irc.

jaks

rhs
RHS

I do like gpit and I think it’s a great map but I don’t understand why it’s currently in the mappool. WHY? What’s in the pool? granlands, gully, freight, (shitty) obscure – they are all pretty much the same. All of them are 5cp-maps and offer little to no variety. Maybe you want to play with a sniper on freight, or use a heavy on gully but that’s it. Aside from that they all play the same.

gpit is no 5cp map, it’s totally different to all the other maps in the mappool and actually it makes a huge diffence against whom you have to play gpit – I can’t choose a map for each opponent like it was some seasons ago so it’s pure luck. Either you get some team who has never played gpit before (it’s awfully difficult to find a pcw!) or you have bad luck and end up with an opponent who actually played the map a couple of times.

Don’t get me wrong: I don’t want to ban gpit from etf2l! I think it really is a great map because teamplay, communications and so on are far more important on gpit than on 5cp maps.

Imo there are 2 options:
1) make etf2l 5cp-maps only (+ gpit as decider-map)
2) One 5cp-map + something different (e.g. turbine, viaduct, gpit) every week. That way we could bring back some other modes like ctf and introduce new modes like koth. I highly favour option #2.

Last edited by jaks,

pala4

of cource yes

ZeyOrk

Piece a shit map

Shabbaman

GoT<3
HoT<3

Option 2 sounds pretty neat, but it’s hard to find maps that are good enough to play. I have to say it’s easy to find a opponent to play gpit compared to some seasons ago. This is a good thing (well, it’s not a good thing to practice gpit) if you want to practice that week’s league maps.

lagi

Gpit is cool, gorge is shit, freight is awesome

And turbine is the best

lagi

By the way, do we really want to end up playing just granalands all day long, other maps are needed as well to keep the competitive scene interesting

WARHURYEAH

GlueEater

i hated gpit with a passion, but braffle showed me the glory that it is, I really enjoy playing it now, the tense C defences are amazing.

You can’t get some of the events and epic “YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH”‘s from other maps.

xerxes

WWCD
n2o

Quoted from archy

you can also put 2 heavies on badlands last. but also on obscure for example. running 2 heavies is just massive turtling and will rarely lead to a recap. you can put 2 300 hp dps tanks on almost every map and make it a turtle fest. map makers can do sthg about that to a limited extend only.

agreed. You can turtle on every map but I don’t know if its just my sense that gullys last is so heavy to attack against 2 heavys. Maybe because there are so many spots for a heavy to stand, so that he can not be picked as an enitial pick. And the new tunnel on the left side did not realy make an impact on making the last one easier to cap. On the other side maybe we all play gully to less.

Quoted from Cobby

[…]

If you draw you have to play a golden cap, meaning another round of A/D :( + the first map I guess can make an official last 2 hours (Including toilet breaks etc..)

I did not considered that but that would make something about one hour. Not two. Of course the time also depends on how the server is administrated and how many breakes there are.

Quoted from S19

[…]

If you can find someone on irc that would like to play gravelpit contact me. One night I contacted 3 teams and when they saw gravelpit they quitted from the server.

But here everyone likes it. I’m starting to think that I’m unluky in finding teams on irc.

Try to search directly for gravelpit on irc and do not surprise a mixteam on your server with that map. Play only one round of gpit (15 mins) and let your opponent choose the second. Make an appointment and do not search spontaneously. Train gpit in the weeks when gpit is played and you should be able to find an opponent.

howdeh

Perilous
WUL

You should have heard us last night

jaks

rhs
RHS

Quoted from Shabbaman

Option 2 sounds pretty neat, but it’s hard to find maps that are good enough to play. I have to say it’s easy to find a opponent to play gpit compared to some seasons ago. This is a good thing (well, it’s not a good thing to practice gpit) if you want to practice that week’s league maps.

well I guess you’re right about that but I do think it would be possible to find 3 maps that are good enough.
Also do not forget that the most important thing about a map is that it is actually played. I do remember when badlands was new no team wanted to play it against us, they all said: forget badlands, that map sucks and it’s not for 6on6 … now every team plays it and most players love badlands.

I also think there are a lot of maps which haven’t been really tested by the 6on6 community.
Just one example: CTF-map contest (http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Competitive_CTF_Contest). I haven’t played one of these maps and I do think most of us haven’t even heard about them. Maybe we should give ctf another try with a One-Day-Cup.

octochris

(0v0)

nearly as bad as freight

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 ... 8 Next »