Forum

Utility 1

Created 16th October 2010 @ 19:45

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 4 Next »

Vali

-9w-

It’s that time of the month again, let’s discuss something.

Plenty of things get discussed in order to try and improve the general experience of tf2 matches: Gunboats are overpowered, cp_coldfront sucks ass etc. etc. But while most people are happy to express an opinion on maps or unlocks, seldom do we ever even mention the idea of class limits. That’s today’s topic.

Let’s be honest here, double heavy is a “lame” strategy. It’s not fun and is only really viable on last points because sitting in one place is the name of the game and that’s what the heavy does best. It’s incredible easy to abuse but not very easy to counter, especially if the opposition shuts down sniping opportunities or if it’s run as a surprise tactic.

Double heavy isn’t the only one. Double engie, pyro + heavy and more are all combinations which break the delicate balance of attack/defence on last points (something which is pretty hard to get right in the first place). To help alleviate this issue somewhat, I propose a restriction of utility 1. Now exactly what this restricts is entirely up for debate, but this initial proposition would state that a team can have no more than 1 of the following classes at a time: Pyro, Heavy and Engineer.

Now when we think of the utility classes, we also think of sniper and spy. I haven’t included those in the restrictions because I’m not entirely sure whether there are any truly balance-breaking combinations involving those classes. Double-spy can be incredibly effective as an offensive tactic on last but is generally unutilised because most people don’t like playing spy and spy + something else is as rare as it is harmless. Should sniper be included to stop defences of sniper + heavy on granary last, or sniper + engineer on freight last? It seems less obvious to me whether or not that should changed.

In any case, I’d like to hear your thoughts on this. Maybe in some distant future we’ll be able to watch “Made in Germany” without having 20 mins of them holding last with double heavy.

Last edited by Vali,

Edd

T2P

good read

Steve

Quoted from Vali

Now exactly what this restricts is entirely up for debate, but this initial proposition would state that a team can have no more than 1 of the following classes at a time: Pyro, Heavy and Engineer.

+1

ilike2spin

RLM

I don’t like the idea of restricting classes that don’t often get used, but the reasons you want to do it are hard to argue with.

electro

Got Milk?

double heavy on last is a pain in the ass

but also restricting engi and pyro to 1 is a bit too much

i think heavy and pyro class limit 1 would solve this problem much better

because having 1 engi only isnt very usefull because the sentry gets raped quite fast and without a heavy or pyro defending it its much more useless

huhystah

Hello valey.

Mike

TEZC

Quoted from Vali

restrictions

y.

your buff banner rant didn’t change anything, don’t see why this will

wachkyri

HTF

Agree on heavy limit 1, but the rest is fine as it is now

Qourile

Clown #

what about double heavy/engy on gravelpit?

do consider other maps.

Jude

notdoggo

heavy limit 1 yes.
everything else would be a disadvantage to you except maybe pyros on last because LOLAIRBLAST

anyway, once again good read, not as painstakingly long to read as your gunboats discussion

Matt

TEZC
TEZC

+1.

Pandylo

tl;dr

ZeyOrk

One of the assholes is gonna write a essay now, instead of making a point, they’re gonna show everyone that “HEY! I CAN WRITE ENGLISH BETTER THAN U MOTHERFUCKER”

Im just waiting for it.

Last edited by ZeyOrk,

Thalien

;?
¤_¤

Quoted from ZeyOrk

One of the assholes is gonna write a essay now, instead of making a point, they’re gonna show everyone that “HEY! I CAN WRITE ENGLISH BETTER THAN U MOTHERFUCKER”

Im just waiting for it.

Was there a point to this or are you just trying to look like an idiot?

ZeyOrk

Quoted from Thalien

[…]

Was there a point to this or are you just trying to look like an idiot?

no I was fishing, and I caught u u BRO! HOHO

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 4 Next »