Forum

Taking PCs on a plane

Created 26th February 2014 @ 21:38

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

Sideshow

(ETF2L Donator)
ft.
WiK?

Who has done this before? Any horror stories? How should I transport it?

Currently thinking about taking out the HDD, graphics card and cooler and putting them in hand luggage along with my monitor. This is on a 1.5h flight.

Forsak3n

S

are u coming for huhy’s lan?

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

mini itx

Isn’t something like a monitor way too big for being hand luggage?

ash

(Legend)
:D

Quoted from Solid

Isn’t something like a monitor way too big for being hand luggage?

pretty sure it is, unless its like 10″… be sure to check your airline’s specifications!

Spike Himself

TC

Take out your RAM too, for erm.. security reasons :p To make sure you still have it when you arrive, that is.

XO -

I took my computer for i40 if i remember correctly, and well my case was nearly destroyed other things where ok.

Last edited by XO -,

Falcon0408

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHOVSE5QloI&index=30&list=PL4umVTmh9X5ueFDK-ftSrMgJguAA9XSXr

CHERRY

Maybe take everything out and put in something like this: http://portercase.com/main/images/pcx_foam_m.jpg.
You cut out foam to be shaped like your components and they sit there secure.

EDIT: I even found photo with hard drives http://www.raidsonic.de/data/products/icybox/IB-AC626/IB-AC626_big.jpg

Last edited by CHERRY,

ondkaja

IKEA

just make sure it isn’t oversized. take out all the components from the computer and wrap it in bubble wrap.

kaidus

WiK?

A monitor is definitely not too big for hand luggage, at least it never has been for any cheap ass budget flight I’ve been on before.

Sideshow

(ETF2L Donator)
ft.
WiK?

Ryanair hand luggage is 55x40x20 which is perfect for my monitor if I find a perfect sized box, and their only specifications for other luggage is that it’s not over 20kg. My pc is only 6.1kg so that’ll be fine. Ipz said his pc got wrecked after flying back from i49 though.

AnimaL

hand luggage in ryanair max is 10kg

its the extra baggage thats 20kg max but you have to pay for it

Sideshow

(ETF2L Donator)
ft.
WiK?

Quoted from AnimaL

hand luggage in ryanair max is 10kg

its the extra baggage thats 20kg max but you have to pay for it

Yeah but I’d need extra anyway, can fit monitor and clothing in handluggage then pc+some other clothes and shit in cargo luggage stuff. The only issue is whether or not I’m gonna put a PC in one end and take out a mangled piece of metal on the other end.

this is evil evil

Would not recommend putting it in your Baggage, as they don’t treat it very well. 2 Broken G35 headsets because of it :( I’ve seen first hand how they toss the baggage around like it was garbage. [EDIT: If you absolutely have to, I would disconnect the graphics card, any other PCI-(E) cards, and the CPU Heatsink+Fan and put it in the handluggage as well. The motherboard + CPU should definitely be able to hold itself, if it’s secured correctly.]

Find a way to get in on the plane (Hand-luggage). It will raise some eyebrows in security, but you should otherwise have no problems getting it through. The only problem would be the weight, since most airlines only allow 10kg hand-luggage

P.S
I certainly hope you are not flying Ryanair, else you are fucked.

Last edited by this is evil evil,

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »