Forum

NA and European TF2... Let's experiment!

Created 21st March 2010 @ 07:37

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 12 Next »

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Oscar

To be honest, the best option for a decent server would be Japan.

i’ll have what he’s having

Bash

Quoted from agron

A “high” uk mix to represent europe. Fml we are doomed.

QFT

Fragga

FRAGGA`s
RIP

Ideally SARS or TCM due to their euro-style and location. Ping to NY is perfectly fine, 100ms cannot be used as an excuse especially considering the west coasters will be pinging the same, if not higher; bo3 first to 5 would seem the best, with standard cp5 maps due to the NA players essentially mixing.

I can also gather together a complexity mix for sometime over a weekend.

If any other good teams are interested just let me know.

Fragga

FRAGGA`s
RIP

I have been offered relays and shoutcasting as well as one of them 4-part youtube videos of the match :)

Memento Mori

Quoted from Bash

[…]

QFT

but you’re in a high uk mix team

spendy

if you put a server on the south end of Greenland it would be pretty fair ping.

Fragga

FRAGGA`s
RIP

Quoted from spendy

doesnt work like that, the pipe goes to NY/NJ. The ping isn’t an issue anyway, I’m playing on 170/220ms as soldier/scout – it’s more the timezone issue and the reluctance by euro teams to play here.

agron

Relic

Quoted from Fragga

[…]

doesnt work like that, the pipe goes to NY/NJ. The ping isn’t an issue anyway, I’m playing on 170/220ms as soldier/scout – it’s more the timezone issue and the reluctance by euro teams to play here.

make an east coast NA team and play on a .uk server if the ping is not an issue. We’ll make a finnish mix team then.

Last edited by agron,

Malibu Stacey™

Sir.

Quoted from spendy

depends on the pipes & traffic being routed through there. In-game latency (what you all incorrectly refer to as “ping”) isn’t simply a factor of geographical location.

Memento Mori

This never works properly anyway, 2 main reasons

1 : sleep deprivation/worse energy levels for one team

2 : shit ping for one team

vhalin

dstry

It would be amazing if we could play on LAN but unfortunately that comes with a high cost of plane tickets/hotels and what not. This is a cost-free alternative to what the TF2 world has never quite gotten to see, but has talked about for years.

As far as the config or rules are concerned, we should take a little from each side of the pond. We should play a best of 3 format but with first to 5 and 30 minutes each map. Maps will be composed of granary, badlands and a gravelpit tie breaker.

Regarding the time – This is more tricky than the server since its night in one place and day in the other. Although this could change – 10PM GMT (2PM PST) on a Sunday sounds good to me.

Again, looking forward to it!

vhalin

dstry

Quoted from Memento Mori

This never works properly anyway, 2 main reasons

1 : sleep deprivation/worse energy levels for one team

2 : shit ping for one team

Did you even read the post?

caned

MEAT
LEGO

Sounds fair to me. I don’t complain if I have 90 ping,,,, I’d like to see it :)

Malibu Stacey™

Sir.

Quoted from agron

[…]

make an east coast NA team and play on a .uk server if the ping is not an issue. We’ll make a finnish mix team then.

In other games (HL1 mods) I’ve played, the solution to this has been to play 1 map on a european server & 1 map on an east coast US server when a cross atlantic match is scheduled. However other games have been less hung up about US players/teams playing in european leagues & vice-versa than the TF2 community appears to be.

Why not have some sort of “play-off” or mini-cup with the top 2 or 3 ETF2L div 1 teams playing the top 2 or 3 teams from the equivalent US league?

Also 90-100ms is more than playable since VALVe introduced client-side prediction so many years ago in HL1. Anyone who thinks otherwise listens to CS players too much.

hänsen

Team Popo!

arent there some islands in the atlantic ocean?

where do the internetcables run?

place a serverisland in the middle of the atlantic or ffs go to world lan and compare your penises there

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 12 Next »