Forum

TF2lobby opens to the public

Created 19th January 2010 @ 20:32

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 6 7 8 ... 18 Next »

MangyCarface

We cannot yet retrieve information from the server- a workaround is in the works but it is weeks off; typically sourcemod does the retrieval, but we don’t wish to have everyone install sourcemod on their machines

sKaz

KP

I really do think opening a public vent/mumble with 200 slots for EU and another one for US will be great, i cant use voice ingame because of 2 soundcards (one is in my headphones) so it sucks..
and maybe do a leveling system of
low, mid, high
other players rate other players.
you can open a room for a specific level and then you wont befucked up with a combat medic..
– players who aren’t rated will be able to join any level until they are rated.
in this way if they played like crap these high level will be “angry” that the fucked up the game and the could rate them as what they think their level is..

trolls in the comment section bellow!

DeNeusbeer

(Legend)
HoT<3

Quoted from MangyCarface

We cannot yet retrieve information from the server- a workaround is in the works but it is weeks off; typically sourcemod does the retrieval, but we don’t wish to have everyone install sourcemod on their machines

Retrieving limited information from servers is relatively easy, you don’t even need the rcon to do so. (ofc you can do more with rcon). We use it at etf2l to obtain player counts and server names from servers. Boring part: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Server_Queries (Or just skip to the implementations at the bottom)

But then again, you probably already know this. :)

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Why is the standard map one of the worst 6v6 maps possible? Why not get granary or badlands standard? And why not add obscure?

Ow wait, you are butthurt somebody made a better map :(

22:03:19 [GoT¹] RaCio: Will you add obscure someday?
22:03:24 MangyCarface [tf2lb]: never
22:03:28 NeoRussia ?: no it blows he said
22:03:35 MangyCarface [tf2lb]: guy who ‘made’ it is a dbag so

MangyCarface

Thanks Deneus- We’ll look into it.

And yes, I believe that anyone who says every custom map sucks, as Byte has said repeatedly even though he can’t even use hammer, is a dbag. But note that I did indeed make thumbnails for obscure, because I wouldn’t let something like that get in the way of the system. When we’re able to support customs, it’ll be on there like every well-played map.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from MangyCarface

Thanks Deneus- We’ll look into it.

And yes, I believe that anyone who says every custom map sucks, as Byte has said repeatedly even though he can’t even use hammer, is a dbag. But note that I did indeed make thumbnails for obscure, because I wouldn’t let something like that get in the way of the system. When we’re able to support customs, it’ll be on there like every well-played map.

Gullywash owns. Rest of the maps usually suck balls, including Yukon. You don’t need to be able to use hammer to make a good map. Sad thing is that this “dbag” has more insight in what makes a good map than you after all these years :).

Still don’t know why yukon is standard? Lets introduce people to 6v6 with some shit map, great idea dude!

Last edited by Koeitje,

MangyCarface

I didn’t say a thing about Gullywash, the thumbnail for which is also in the system. Calm down

DeNeusbeer

(Legend)
HoT<3

Guys, i don’t like the tone of conversation atm. Remember that this is all done to promote TF2 and with the best interest. Please try to be a bit more supportive towards people who are helping to push the community forward with an initiative like this.

Why they don’t yet use custom maps is pretty simple from my perspective though: not all servers have all maps. And since you can use your own servers, it’s pretty complex to check what server has what map installed and so on. You don’t want to start a lobby for obscure, have 12 players, get started, only to find out that the server doesn’t have the map on it.

MangyCarface

I am a huge supporter of customs, having made many my own and working with all the major players in the customs community. We are in talks with valve to get upload access so we can feature maps of the week, giving karma bonuses to players who try new maps. We want to encourage customs as much as possible, but it’ll be a slow process, so bear with us until it’s worked out.

In fact, one of the major goals of this system is to see what custom maps individual players enjoy playing, rather than what gather admins or server admins enjoy running, since any individual at tf2lobby can run a map of their choice (once we have the system in place.)

Last edited by MangyCarface,

jgmaster

BM

Quoted from MangyCarface

In fact, one of the major goals of this system is to see what custom maps individual players enjoy playing, rather than what gather admins or server admins enjoy running, since any individual at tf2lobby can run a map of their choice (once we have the system in place.)

Nice try but not subtle enough ;)

flame

Less qq more pew pew.

Byte’s map is pretty sick, Mangy’s is official.

Rock beats scissors, scissors beats paper, paper beats rock.

MangyCarface

Quoted from jgmaster

[…]

Nice try but not subtle enough ;)

I don’t follow…

nbik

ePrem

Am I missing something or what? I’ve seen lobbies with cp_obscure_rc1. :o

MangyCarface

You can run any map you like as long as you’ve specified a server (not best available) that has that map on it. I’ve prebaked thumbnails for every popular custom map that would warrant being played through the system, which is why when you run, say, freight, you’ll get a nice picture representing it in the system. If you feel like introducing a new map, simply throw it up on your fast dl server and then run a lobby on your server: there are placeholder pictures to represent all the major gametypes if the map is not yet wellknown. It shouldn’t be too hard to find 11 people willing to try something new!

Nigh

¿
TF2.ro

that was the main idea of tf2lobby mangy.

Btw: i like yukon

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 6 7 8 ... 18 Next »