Forum

Lange's thoughts on the state of competitive TF2

Created 10th December 2014 @ 08:50

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

rytis

PrettyGay

Quoted from Selek

As Lange said, if you are playing TF2 competitively as a hobby and for fun, it is going nowhere as long as the community persists. And it does to this very day. I haven’t found any other competitive game that gives me this amount of enjoyment due to its silliness combined with incredible depth.

Just don’t expect to become a pro gamer or have much of Valve’s support. They made it quite clear they are not interested. Maybe matchmaking changes things a bit, but don’t hold your breath.

/thread and topic

rockie

…says the guy who invented MGE mod

Last edited by rockie,

sorsa

mooz

This thread and lange’s vid made me feel depressed :(

rockie

and once again, blame valve…you guys never learn

Scissors

(ETF2L Donator)

Quoted from Marty

They say having fun is not a waste of time, but I can’t really say that when I’m sitting in my gaming chair in front of my two monitors, realizing that I’m pale as a sheet, in a horrible shape, fat and have very few in real life friends who actually appreciate me.

If I were to go back in time and choose, I would never have played Team Fortress 2. I would have gone outside and experienced life instead of doing this. Gaming is my passion, and if that is truly what my most of my youth is going to be about, I wish I would have stuck with Counter-Strike. I wish I would have stuck with League of Legends when I tried it back when it came out. I’m angry at Valve for screwing us over so badly, but I can’t help not also being angry at myself.

tag min hånd Niels, lad os flygte mod grønnere enge sammen og starte et nyt liv ;_;

CHERRY

Quoted from haris

[…]
Well that is basically nothing.

This means that they don’t ignore us, we both just want a different game.
EDIT:
Quoted from Gentleman Jon

[…]
A lot of people contributed with a variety of expected/hoped for outcomes and Lange was at the “we need action now” end of the spectrum. He wants to make video games coverage his career and he has to move on from TF2 to make that happen, just as anybody else would simply because there’s very little money in it. I wish him well but his timescale isn’t shared by everybody let alone Valve.

This is a great comment. Lange leaving isn’t end of the game for anyone other than him. Many were before him and many will be. He contributed a lot to the community, but there are new people coming.

Last edited by CHERRY,

ondkaja

IKEA

TF2 is more than seven years old, the fact that we managed to get this game going for seven years is a huge achievement, especially without developer support. We’ve had seasons with more than 300 teams signed up, only in Europe, that is a huge amount of players, which are playing for nothing but medals. We don’t play this game to earn money in the end, it’s the game itself that draws us to it, not the eSport aspect of it. However, that doesn’t mean we should not try to become big, which we have, and it has been somewhat successful, getting three international LAN events so far. TF2 has been a massive success considering its lack of developer support.

What is going to fix it? TF3. Or a TF2 clone. A new installment to the series, which focuses on the competitive aspect of the game, and I mean the competitive form that has always been more or less for seven years, 6v6, 2x classlimit, 1x demo 1x heavy 1x medic with pretty much exactly the same class mechanics. Bringing TF2 into the 21st century with matchmaking, crowdfunding through items and developer support. Unfortunately, this is a pipe dream and it will never happen. Valve doesn’t care about us, and if Valve made TF3 it would be even more obsessed over dumb cosmetic items than TF2 already is. Overwatch will not adequately replace TF2 because it’s not gonna be a close enough clone to it (lika csgo was to 1.6), you’d have to relearn everything and it will probably be an inferior game in the end.

Anyway, let’s get the most out of this game and keep playing it so long as we feel it’s satisfying and fun. Go to all the LANs you can while you still have time, there might not be that many LANs in the future (especially big international ones). Hopefully, there will eventually be a game that adequately replaces TF2 while keeping all the core mechanics intact and bringing in proper matchmaking with a proper ruleset.

Toba

(a boT from the North)
Lutunen

B4NNY’s thoughts on Lange’s thoughts on the state of Competitive TF2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V_3ymnWXnA

and TFTV discussion http://teamfortress.tv/thread/21496/langes-thoughts-on-the-state-of-competitive-tf2

I understand that the letter was private. But why not make more public letter, get some pros and “tf2 content producers” signs highlighted, and then all these active players / 5k numbers showing up in i-series streams who want to show their support and valve how many people would love them if they would support us in some way and take our ideas.I like that more than saying ‘fuckvalvetheyaretheshit’

And if they show no interest, nor respect, lets just move on and enjoy the game as long as it goes, at this point we can all agree TF2 is never going to be as huge as CSGO, Dota, sc2, or LoL, but we can still build up some 10k prizepool tournaments, if valve joined us
#BelieveInValve#BelieveInCommunity#PleaseDon’tMolestMe

Last edited by snappe,

Kaneco

Quoted from snappe

I understand that the letter was private. But why not make more public letter, get some pros and “tf2 content producers” signs highlighted, and then all these active players / 5k numbers showing up in i-series streams who want to show their support and valve how many people would love them if they would support us in some way and take our ideas.I like that more than saying ‘fuckvalvetheyaretheshit’

And if they show no interest, nor respect, lets just move on and enjoy the game as long as it goes, at this point we can all agree TF2 is never going to be as huge as CSGO, Dota, sc2, or LoL, but we can still build up some 10k prizepool tournaments, if valve joined us
#BelieveInValve#BelieveInCommunity#PleaseDon’tMolestMe

The letter was supposed to be an open letter, everyone active in the community signed it, I signed it for Comp.tf. And then I never heard any fuss about it back so I expected they didnt send it yet, but apparently they decided to keep it a normal letter. It seems to have been very ineffective.

Last edited by Kaneco,

Kumimarja

Quoted from Toba

B4NNY’s thoughts on Lange’s thoughts on the state of Competitive TF2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V_3ymnWXnA

I have to agree with B4NNY here, TF2 isn’t dead but we’re never going to be as big as Dota 2 or CS:GO. Deal with it.

Collaide

If you say “tf2 is dying lol” and then leave to play csgo, you are the one causing it to die. The people I know who have quit are either busy IRL or they play CS:GO.

Fuxx

REMOVE

Quoted from Collaide

If you say “tf2 is dying lol” and then leave to play csgo, you are the one causing it to die. The people I know who have quit are either busy IRL or they play CS:GO.

Now that’s just an ignorant thing to say

Two types of people say “tf2 is dying”:
Bandwagonning idiots, who don’t affect the game at all
People like Lange who are actually involved in a lot of stuff and have become too demotivated to do anything anymore

The only one causing tf2 is to “die” is Valve. The game itself is very much alive, but it’s not the game I bought anymore and it’s not the game a lot of people in competitive play for. It’s a casualized, money-grabbing, microtransaction cash cow and nothing more in the eyes of their owners.

If you were in charge of a country that for example… I don’t know… doesn’t do anything to promote it’s technological and scientific progress, would you say that it’s the fault of the people that they don’t have a space program? A country with more than enough resources to put people on Mars but wont even give you a low orbiting satellite? Instead, considers it to be witchcraft and refuses to even talk about it?

Competitive was built by normal players, is ran by normal players, is fueled, fed and financed by normal players and depends 100% on the hardwork of a ridiculously tiny crew of admins/managers… and you dare excuse Valve? The same Valve who e-sport’d the heck out of CS and Dota but doesn’t even reply to an e-mail?

Maybe I’m biased but it’s time we get out of fantasy land and see what they really are: just another regular company whose main goal is money. They’re not special.

Last edited by Fuxx,

Collaide

Quoted from Fuxx

[…]

Now that’s just an ignorant thing to say

Two types of people say “tf2 is dying”:
Bandwagonning idiots, who don’t affect the game at all
People like Lange who are actually involved in a lot of stuff and have become too demotivated to do anything anymore

The only one causing tf2 is to “die” is Valve. The game itself is very much alive, but it’s not the game I bought anymore and it’s not the game a lot of people in competitive play for. It’s a casualized, money-grabbing, microtransaction cash cow and nothing more in the eyes of their owners.

If you were in charge of a country that for example… I don’t know… doesn’t do anything to promote it’s technological and scientific progress, would you say that it’s the fault of the people that they don’t have a space program? A country with more than enough resources to put people on Mars but wont even give you a low orbiting satellite? Instead, considers it to be witchcraft and refuses to even talk about it?

Competitive was built by normal players, is ran by normal players, is fueled, fed and financed by normal players and depends 100% on the hardwork of a ridiculously tiny crew of admins/managers… and you dare excuse Valve? The same Valve who e-sport’d the heck out of CS and Dota but doesn’t even reply to an e-mail?

Maybe I’m biased but it’s time we get out of fantasy land and see what they really are: just another regular company whose main goal is money. They’re not special.

You make a very good point.

4hp

It’s okay. Personally I never expected tf2 to be a big e-sport and I enjoyed competitive for what it is, online friends trying to outplay each other. Marty’s post does resonate with me, though, as there were definitely times I gave up on doing potentially more fulfilling things to play tf2, but I don’t think the game being as popular as dota or CS would have justified it for me. In the end it’s still “just a game” and people who don’t play it won’t understand the fascination we have for it, and it will be really hard to explain them how we’ve sunk thousands of hours on it. Hell, I have more hours on tf2 than Marty and I’ve never been more than a mediocre pyro main, how ridiculous is that?

Game’s not dead as long as there are people willing to play it, but let the current situation be a wake-up call to us that it’s just that. A game.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »