Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 4 Next »

haris

FLANK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq-YDeEfZWY

This is quite sad and quite true. :(

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

It’s sad that they wrote a letter and all signed it and Valve didn’t even reply! That’s pretty bad. The rest is just Lange moving on to his next interest, which is fine.

huhystah

Quoted from fraac

It’s sad that they wrote a letter and all signed it and Valve didn’t even reply! That’s pretty bad. The rest is just Lange moving on to his next interest, which is fine.

Valve did reply, but it was just a regular mail: “we will discuss it with the rest of the TF team” thing.

haris

FLANK

Quoted from huhystah

[…]
Valve did reply, but it was just a regular mail: “we will discuss it with the rest of the TF team” thing.

Well that is basically nothing.

jx53

It’s sad, but there really is nothing we can do. A lot of players have moved on lately and it doesn’t feel the same anymore. There is no point playing a dead game.
I’ve experienced this with runescape, halo3 and call of duty. I logged in and saw none of my friends online. Made me sad, but I eventually found something else.

Last edited by jx53,

konr

:(

rytis

PrettyGay

how are people realising this only now, it was pretty obvious a few years back as well that valve doesnt give a shite about competitive tf2 and never will.

no shit captain obvious

Marty

lala

I’ve known for a long time that TF2 is not a growing game and I think most people knew that as well, but the thing is that the game was just so much fun for me that I didn’t want to accept that truth, and I think many other people are the same way.

I play Counter-Strike Global Offensive, Warcraft, Smite, Quake, LoL and many other Online games which are somewhat competitive. There is no game that has inspired me to play and to be better more than TF2. I play all these games regularly, but none of them has sent that spark of flame into me that made me come home from school every day for years just to play TF2 for thousands upon thousands of hours, to create hundreds of friendships and going to LANs. These games I have had small periods where I’d play them a lot, but I’ve always come back to TF2 in the end.

I’ve reached the “top” now, being a Plat/Prem Heavy/Medic (I know this isn’t as much the top as being a prem 6s player at all, but I don’t want to spend that much more time becoming good at a gamemode I don’t even like playing) and I’ve more or less quit TF2 Competitive for other games, since I don’t feel I have anymore to gain from this game, if there isn’t any actual tournaments and LANs with big prizes that I can get into, with streams with tens of thousands of viewers, it just doesn’t seem worth it, but I still don’t know if I can really let go. I’ve drained TF2 of all the juice it can possibly give me. Some people might know that I’ve recently been a main heavy for Fair Enough, but I was recently moved to sub more or less voluntarily for another Heavy who would perform better. Why was I moved? Because I don’t play well anymore. I remember back when entering Div1 and prem that I’d sit for hours at a time, watching my own demos and going into offline-mode to practice positions on empty maps and think strategies and find good aiming spots, actually attending and caring about map talks, but I haven’t done that for months. As much as people laugh at Heavy mains, it’s actually really hard to truly have an edge and to become better. When I stopped caring I stopped calling strats as well, and my team was declining because of it. They made the absolutely right choice to kick me off, since I was too dumb and “stuck” in this downward spiral to realize that I should just quit and stop dragging others down with me. I am a co-founder/moderator of TF2Center, but as some know, I have barely done a scrap of work for TF2Center before and after its beta release. My flame was still there when we were creating it, but I could hardly help because I have very limited technical skill for these things, and I suck at PR. I am a moderator now, but I still don’t handle ban requests, speak much on forums or actually make any effort to improve the site and help my fellow developers. I don’t do that because I have no more motivation for this game. No matter how much this website has helped TF2 Competitive, regardless of how people feel about the moderators and the community of the website, TF2 is just a declining game, that won’t have any future worth living.

Watching this video from Lange, probably one of the most influential and helpful people in the TF2 community, and seeing how broken he is because of this fantastic game’s inevitable doom, because of the company that made this game not giving even half a shit about it. They make so much money off of steam market transactions, in-game store transactions and more, but they don’t even bother in making their own hats or weapons anymore. Just let the community do the work for us and have us squeeze the rest of the money out of this game and just let the casual kids play it if they want.

Hearing that they wrote this letter and Valve not responding or atleast not giving anything constructive back to them really breaks me as well. The thought that they poured their hearts out into this well-crafted message to Valve and Valve just brushing it off is really the final step for many to realize that this game truly has no more. Why do you think UGC Platinum is shit these days? Why do you think CEVO only got 20 players to sign up? Because the competitive players are a dying breed. There are very few truly interested pubbers who want to go into competitive and actually make a future within this game for themselves, just like I did years ago when I decided I wanted to get serious about this. It’s not the players faults, Valve gives no incentive to them to actually try. I can’t help but feel all this effort and work I’ve put into this game is for nothing, done in vain. They say having fun is not a waste of time, but I can’t really say that when I’m sitting in my gaming chair in front of my two monitors, realizing that I’m pale as a sheet, in a horrible shape, fat and have very few in real life friends who actually appreciate me.

If I were to go back in time and choose, I would never have played Team Fortress 2. I would have gone outside and experienced life instead of doing this. Gaming is my passion, and if that is truly what my most of my youth is going to be about, I wish I would have stuck with Counter-Strike. I wish I would have stuck with League of Legends when I tried it back when it came out. I’m angry at Valve for screwing us over so badly, but I can’t help not also being angry at myself.

Last edited by Marty,

konr

Quoted from Marty

They say having fun is not a waste of time, but I can’t really say that when I’m sitting in my gaming chair in front of my two monitors, realizing that I’m pale as a sheet, in a horrible shape, fat and have very few in real life friends who actually appreciate me.

If I were to go back in time and choose, I would never have played Team Fortress 2. I would have gone outside and experienced life instead of doing this. Gaming is my passion, and if that is truly what my most of my youth is going to be about, I wish I would have stuck with Counter-Strike. I wish I would have stuck with League of Legends when I tried it back when it came out. I’m angry at Valve for screwing us over so badly, but I can’t help not also being angry at myself.

Whooooaaa this got a bit real

ducky

I think we had this discussion on here once already, about tf2 and how it doesn’t seem to be able to make the jump to be a mainstream competitive game

To sum up what others have said already it’s just not cut out to be competitive.

Take a look at the base game: The main focus is on cosmetics,goofy characters with ridiculous weapons. Random crits. It’s ought to be a fun,casual game.

There’s no matchmaking,no built in tournament configs and no official leagues.
In our case even though ETF2L might be the largest european tf2 league it’s still not official. Everything is done by volunteers, we are hardly affiliated with valve (if at all).

Think of 6s as a mod to the base game. Like surf,jail or prophunt.
Yes it’s popular,but taking something so inherently different from what you would experience in a “regular pub” and making it into an official gamemode just isn’t feasible for the developers.

Hijacking the yt comment here:

I want to just remind everyone that, only maybe a year and a half ago, valve was willing to talk with competitive 6s, and they flat-out stated that the reason they felt disconnected from 6s was because the metagame was both stale, and resistant to change.

And the reason for that isn’t because we whitelist less weapons (remember,they mainly directed that statement towards NA focused leagues like ESEA or UGC where most weapons are allowed) it’s because the standard cookie-cutter setup that is used in 6v6 is,in the vast majority of cases, just so indisputably good that players don’t have a reason to diversify their gameplay.

This isn’t meant to be criticism or anything, I personally prefer the 6s gamemode to a regular pub.
I like the idea of developing your skills and tactics in a stable environment that’s not completly unpredictable.
Where you know where you’re at most of the time.

And I bet that’s the reason people start playing 6v6 in the first place.

But to get the interest of a very high number of tf2 players,so that valve pays attention to it, 6v6 might just not be popular enough,at least for the time being.

That being said, I wouldn’t worry about the game dieng all of a sudden.

You might not make a living playing this game competitively anytime soon but as long as there’s people who enjoy playing comp it won’t die.

Gentleman Jon

Quoted from Marty

Hearing that they wrote this letter and Valve not responding or atleast not giving anything constructive back to them really breaks me as well. The thought that they poured their hearts out into this well-crafted message to Valve and Valve just brushing it off is really the final step for many to realize that this game truly has no more.

A lot of people contributed with a variety of expected/hoped for outcomes and Lange was at the “we need action now” end of the spectrum. He wants to make video games coverage his career and he has to move on from TF2 to make that happen, just as anybody else would simply because there’s very little money in it. I wish him well but his timescale isn’t shared by everybody let alone Valve.

Quoted from konr

[…]Whooooaaa this got a bit real

Wonder how many who can relate to that :D

Selek

Dr. med.

As Lange said, if you are playing TF2 competitively as a hobby and for fun, it is going nowhere as long as the community persists. And it does to this very day. I haven’t found any other competitive game that gives me this amount of enjoyment due to its silliness combined with incredible depth.

Just don’t expect to become a pro gamer or have much of Valve’s support. They made it quite clear they are not interested. Maybe matchmaking changes things a bit, but don’t hold your breath.

Anyone claiming 6s is dying off is fucking dense

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 4 Next »