Forum

TF2Center sucks

Created 16th January 2014 @ 11:15

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

jx53

Quoted from kos

if you could put a minimum division requirement on lobbys it would be awesome. Players could create their own equivalent of pickup2 for every division. e.g. div3+ only. Might make it less approachable for new players tho as there would have to be “newbie” lobbys for them to even play.

This is actually pretty good. And to make sure the starters know their place, instead of making it div6 or so, make it starters/newbies, so they wont by accident join a prem pug.

Spike Himself

TC

There are 2 minor issues with this approach;

1. Defining skill level per player: what makes a player fit into a certain division (divisions apply to teams, not players, after all). Do you get this info from “the current season”, or is someone div3 if their last ever official match was 6 seasons ago as well? Are you prem when you were in prem 3 seasons ago but haven’t played since? Are you div1 if you played in div1 last season but are now in div4 to help a team out? There are so many cases where it’s very difficult to decide..

2. After solving issue #1, how does TF2C get this information on a technical level? Do they need admins to keep track of every player, or should they interface with an API in each existing league around the world? What is the american equivalent of div3? What is the australian?

tl;dr it might be a good idea, but it’s by no means easy to implement

Monkeh

.:ne:.
.:ne:.

Couldn’t you just let players decide, I mean we all ask for ‘Div x’ on irc and usually get div x ish teams after all, obviously you’d have mongers getting into the wrong games cus idiots, but there’s a ban/report thingy isn’t there?

Last edited by Monkeh,

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Monkeh

Couldn’t you just let players decide, I mean we all ask for ‘Div x’ on irc and usually get div x ish teams after all, obviously you’d have mongers getting into the wrong games cus idiots, but there’s a ban/report thingy isn’t there?

Sure, that would work, but kos did use the word “restrict” ^^

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Quoted from Spriggan

Any alternative?

What “sucks” about it?

The concept? Design? Class joining system? Servers? Connecting to servers/mumble? Quality of games? Quality of players? Team stacking? behaviour of players? Admins’ attitudes/lack of admins? UI? Layout? Speed of navigation? Lack of places to give feedback? The unlocks, the configs…etc etc

Perhaps rather than dismiss what I see is a great thing for helping newer players learn the basics of competitive TF2 and giving a place for people to simply play 6v6 or 9v9 lobbies, you should take a bit more care in your feedback. TF2 Center more than likely involved several people putting hundreds of hours of time and effort making something for us all to enjoy, they’re absolutely willing to listen to feedback I would imagine. By dismissing the reputation of a great and valuable tool to allow our scene to grow isn’t the best reaction to a bad experience, try to elaborate in why it “sucks”. Also try to remember good things in this game do not happen by magic, it is somebodies passion, hard work and dedication (and money) you’re grinding into the ground.

Since you asked for alternative I will list a few, I will leave them for you to find (google is a hell of a thing) since if you are not competent enough to locate them using a search engine, you probably won’t be competent enough to play there.

For 6v6 you can:
– Find 5 people and search for a “mix” – This is a team of 5 of your friends plus you against a random team of 6 other people. If you don’t know 6 other people who are looking for a game you can find other “mixes” or teams by joining #tf.wars on Quakenet network using an IRC client.
– Find a doublemix group or make friends who participate in Doublemixes. Or organise one yourself, a doublemix is a group of 12 players with 1 person having server access who come together and pick teams and play.
– TF2Pickup.net is another alternative, alongside tf2gg, though I am not sure how active or how far past beta they are.

If it is Highlander you are looking for, you can:
– Mix or Doublemix, the same things apply above just for a 9v9 setting though it will be hard to find a game through IRC, you should do it via Highlander Team Leaders or Schedule Highlander Scrims steam group.
– Use the Colony mixes spreadsheet, you will need to find the steam group and join it to request access.
– Alternatively join #tf2.mix.euhl on GeeksIRC network using an IRC client.

Best of luck.

Switch

soL.
T⑨

Maybe someone should make a d4+ version of pickup2 (pickup4?) and leave the lobbies to those that want to learn to play comp.

EDIT: like an actual IRC client tho

Last edited by Switch,

Quoted from Hildreth

The concept?

No
Quoted from Hildreth

Design?

No
Quoted from Hildreth

Class joining system?

Nope
Quoted from Hildreth

Servers?

Yes
Quoted from Hildreth

Connecting to servers/mumble?

More that mumble is empty most of the time
Quoted from Hildreth

Quality of games?

Yes
Quoted from Hildreth

Quality of players?

Yes
Quoted from Hildreth

Team stacking?

Yes
Quoted from Hildreth

behaviour of players?

Yes
Quoted from Hildreth

Admins’ attitudes/lack of admins?

Yes
Quoted from Hildreth

UI?

No
Quoted from Hildreth

Layout?

No
Quoted from Hildreth

Speed of navigation?

No
Quoted from Hildreth

Lack of places to give feedback?

Yes
Quoted from Hildreth

The unlocks, the configs…etc etc

No

Last edited by Solid,

jx53

Quoted from Solid

[…]
No
[…]
No
[…]
Nope
[…]
Yes
[…]
More that mumble is empty most of the time
[…]
Yes
[…]
Yes
[…]
Yes
[…]
Yes
[…]
Yes
[…]
No
[…]
No
[…]
No
[…]
Yes
[…]
No

Agree with most of this.

kos

ft.
bobs

Quoted from Spike Himself

There are 2 minor issues with this approach;

1. Defining skill level per player: what makes a player fit into a certain division (divisions apply to teams, not players, after all). Do you get this info from “the current season”, or is someone div3 if their last ever official match was 6 seasons ago as well? Are you prem when you were in prem 3 seasons ago but haven’t played since? Are you div1 if you played in div1 last season but are now in div4 to help a team out? There are so many cases where it’s very difficult to decide..

2. After solving issue #1, how does TF2C get this information on a technical level? Do they need admins to keep track of every player, or should they interface with an API in each existing league around the world? What is the american equivalent of div3? What is the australian?

tl;dr it might be a good idea, but it’s by no means easy to implement

Highest division played should work fine? There are players in pickup2 who were invited years ago and play occasionally now. It’s not optimal but they are anomalies and it rarely ruins the pickup. Obviously it could never be exact, there are far too many variables but could at least mean that there’s a lower variance of skill level in lobbies.

Regarding the technical aspect, surely the !div plugin should be some kind of foundation to build upon.

EDIT:
Quoted from Solid

[…]
Dumb stuff

point_missed

Last edited by kos,

Quoted from kos

Dumb stuff

don’t_care

Last edited by Solid,

Toba

(a boT from the North)
Lutunen

Quoted from kos

[…]

EDIT:
[…]
point_missed

KosWEcan?

damneasy

In the end someone has to do this, who will do it tho…

rytis

PrettyGay

Quoted from damneasy

In the end someone has to do this, who will do it tho…

boom story of tf2

byte

Quoted from rytis

[…]
boom story of tf2

where’s my pun bitch?! :3

Cheers

Byte

Anzu

:Blinky:

The thing is with tf2center is that people take it wayyy to seriously with all the mumble and player hours and realibility…
I consider that site as I fun place to play lobbies and thats it

I hope tf2lobby will go up soon

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »