Forum

A Guide to FOV in TF2

Created 22nd May 2013 @ 16:10

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5

laerin

-9w-

Quoted from konr

[…]And if that changes, like you stated?

I didn’t state it’d change. You’ve been able to do that since the beginning of tf2 and it’s necessary to how fov is handled by the game. Even with a 4:3 resolution, you’re getting an increased fov because of it. Only thing they can do would be to reduce the amount you can gain by restricting the aspect ratio you can use but even then, I believe multiple monitors are exempt from that.

Casual

prtyboiz
T⑨

Quoted from laerin

[…]

I didn’t state it’d change. You’ve been able to do that since the beginning of tf2 and it’s necessary to how fov is handled by the game. Even with a 4:3 resolution, you’re getting an increased fov because of it. Only thing they can do would be to reduce the amount you can gain by restricting the aspect ratio you can use but even then, I believe multiple monitors are exempt from that.

And etf2l cfg has completely disabled it.

sv_restrict_aspect_ratio_fov 0

Last edited by Casual,

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Quoted from laerin

[…]

First person (besides me obviously) who gets it. Grats!

And no Casual, thats not what laerin said at all.

He said: restricting the aspect ratio, NOT the horizontal or vertical fov. Your mentioned cvar has nothing to do with that. There is no cvar in tf2 (afaik) that restricts a client’s aspect ratio from the server-side.

Setsul

Quoted from laerin

[…]

4:3 gives you exactly the fov specified by fov_desired.
sv_restrict_aspect_ratio_fov 1 and 2 prevent you from getting a horizontal fov higher than 108.44°, which you get with an aspect ratio of 1.85:1. For all aspect ratios higher than that the h. fov stays the same and the value for fov itself (not fov_desired) and therefore the vertical fov is reduced.
1 only works for windowed, 2 works for both windowed and fullscreen and affects multiple monitors aswell.

tl;dr
Valve doesn’t have to restrict aspect ratios to restrict fov.

Casual

prtyboiz
T⑨

Quoted from skeej

[…]

First person (besides me obviously) who gets it. Grats!

And no Casual, thats not what laerin said at all.

He said: restricting the aspect ratio, NOT the horizontal or vertical fov. Your mentioned cvar has nothing to do with that. There is no cvar in tf2 (afaik) that restricts a client’s aspect ratio from the server-side.

Wat

aspect ratio = fov

who gives a fuck if you have a super wide screen and everything is distorted.

Last edited by Casual,

Monkeh

.:ne:.
.:ne:.

Oh God, fov nerd rage is getting so stale and boring.

I normally try to read every word in any thread I post in but all I see is ‘wah wah wah 110, wah wah wah aspect ratio, wah wah fov wah, wah wah advantage, wah wah wah fucking wah.

Bah.

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Quoted from Casual

[…]

Wat

aspect ratio = fov

who gives a fuck if you have a super wide screen and everything is distorted.

Nah not rly mate

Restricting AR would result in, yes, distorted image, OR black borders (probably left/right on widescreen monitors), as if one is running a custom resolution

Restricting fov will reduce vfov while keeping hfov constant (this is how aspect 2 works)

Basically what Setsul says in his last line of his last post.

Casual

prtyboiz
T⑨

Quoted from skeej

[…]

Nah not rly mate

Restricting AR would result in, yes, distorted image, OR black borders (probably left/right on widescreen monitors), as if one is running a custom resolution

Restricting fov will reduce vfov while keeping hfov constant (this is how aspect 2 works)

Basically what Setsul says in his last line of his last post.

Okay so there’s 3 ‘modes’ in which way things can be restricted:

1. add black borders.
2. keep vfov, stretch image horizontally.
3. reduce vfov (will look zoomed in for 3 monitor setups etc).

And Valve decided to go with 3.

Last edited by Casual,

Setsul

Quoted from Casual

[…]

Okay so there’s 3 ‘modes’ in which way things can be restricted:

1. add black borders.
2. keep vfov, stretch image horizontally.
3. reduce vfov (will look zoomed in for 3 monitor setups etc).

And Valve decided to go with 3.

Yes, because
1. adding black borders is the same as restricting the aspect ratio
2. stretching is not implemented in the source engine (and retarded)
3. reducing vfov works perfectly fine
3 also confuses people which is probably the main reason for valve to use it.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from skeej

And that is the one you are arguing against?

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

And that is the one you are arguing against?

?

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5