Forum

[Top teams] What about spectating real time instead of stv?

Created 22nd January 2012 @ 13:19

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4

Comedian

mumble audio quality is lower than skype audio quality, its maximum bitrate is about 96kbit.

as for #2, my pants have been creamed

Last edited by Comedian,

Admirable

(Toucan Ambassador)

Quoted from Miek

For 1: Not sure what this is fixing, I don’t think there’s any issues with Mumble’s quality or delay?
If it switched to audio only on the stream, I probably wouldn’t watch anymore since I usually can’t play the stream without loads of buffering. It would also be annoying to have all the game audio from the stream while watching in stv.

For 2: Makes sense, so I made a plugin: http://etf2l.org/forum/customise/topic-20108/ :>

Nice!

frymaster

Quoted from Comedian

mumble audio quality is lower than skype audio quality, its maximum bitrate is about 96kbit.

as for #2, my pants have been creamed

a) codec bitrate isn’t the be-all and end-all, since it depends on the codec used
b) in any case, the high-bandwidth codec (SILK) used in skype tops out at 40kbits/s
c) the implementation is key. TF2 in-game voice is also SILK, as of last April. Anyone here honestly think the in-game tf2 speech is comparable to skype?

Last edited by frymaster,

Greg

TEZC

You know that you can use skype at the same time as mumble, if the audio quality is that important to you.

Basically the casters local mute each other in mumble and then the streamer plus casters go on skype for the stream audio quality, that way at least the stream viewers and the vod gets slightly better audio

atmo

Quoted from Comedian

many professionally produced podcasts use 80 kbps. 96 kbps is plenty for spoken word.

quad

I srsly hate watching stvs compared to specing on a live server.

Having the highest visual and audio quality should be the goal for the vtv stream.

Therefore Id say sure, do it when able to.

Since we can all agree that live servers are nicer/smoother than stvs.

toogyboogy

(ETF2L Donator)
SOFT
bobs

Couldnt we try this during a cast and see how it is?

Comedian

ah, thanks for the explanations frymaster, but i do feel like skype has significantly higher audio quality compared to skype, must be the mentioned implementation

Quoted from Comedian

but i do feel like skype has significantly higher audio quality compared to skype

Dr-GimpfeN

9g1c

if you have a spec directly on the server you can use this:

tv_allow_camera_man
Allows spectator clients on game server to become SourceTV camera men (master only)

this + 90s delayed mumble would be so great for the stv spectators :)

dodgydogman

Panda

Surely if you cast games with 0 delay, people cant watch the stv and listen to mumble audio, and also the other team could stream snipe to find out push directions, uber count and medigun, classes etc…

Last edited by dodgydogman,

Enef

fest
#wubafan

Quoted from dodgydogman

Surely if you cast games with 0 delay, people cant watch the stv and listen to mumble audio, and also the other team could stream snipe to find out push directions, uber count and medigun, classes etc…

That’s why you would put the delay on the stream, which you can do with all the streaming services.

AcidReniX

RaWr ::

I think casting on STV is the better option. It just solves so many issues at the cost of one (STV not being alive). It’s easy to sync, rules out any unfair play (not that I think anyone believes that would be an issue).

I actually prefer casting on mumble over skype as I use push to talk, which means I can shout at my brother to stop downloading without it being on the air.

I think you also get problems with pauses and casting on the server, like the audio goes out of sync for the duration of the pause, or something along those lines.

Last edited by AcidReniX,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4