Forum

[ESL] LOL

Created 12th April 2011 @ 23:46

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 ... 10 Next »

AnimaL

Quoted from beach

[…]

One of our scouts was banned for not submitting a screenshot in time.

I mean.. really?

and? whos fault would that be?

AnAkkk

Quoted from beach

[…]

One of our scouts was banned for not submitting a screenshot in time.

I mean.. really?

You can’t get your account frozen for not submitting a screenshot, as it’s only 1 penalty point. You have to reach 4.

Enef

fest
#wubafan

You’re all running around in circles.

Whiners are whining because they don’t understand the program but don’t want to speak to admins to resolve their problems. Take 5-10 minutes after your games, type !admin in #esl.irc and ask Moose, Anakin or one of the others if everything is correct with your game and if not, what you need to do to make sure everything is correct. That’s what i did and lo and behold, no penalty points.

Make sure everyone leaves TF2 10 minutes before the game, launches the game by right clicking on the match and clicking “play game” and then sit on server for ten minutes and wait.

This is my and my teams first season in ESL but because we took the effort to speak to anyone and because we took the effort to ensure everyone was using Wire properly and that everything was okay we had no issues.

As for people jumping on the bandwagon, and you guys know who you are.

http://riotjoke.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/haters-gonna-hate.jpeg

Last edited by Enef,

Swarlz

Quoted from Enef

Whiners are whining because they don’t understand the program but don’t want to speak to admins to resolve their problems. Take 5-10 minutes after your games, type !admin in #esl.irc and ask Moose, Anakin or one of the others if everything is correct with your game and if not, what you need to do to make sure everything is correct. That’s what i did and lo and behold, no penalty points.

Make sure everyone leaves TF2 10 minutes before the game, launches the game by right clicking on the match and clicking “play game” and then sit on server for ten minutes and wait.

This is my and my teams first season in ESL but because we took the effort to speak to anyone and because we took the effort to ensure everyone was using Wire properly and that everything was okay we had no issues.

One day, I’m going to spoon with you enef… one day.

CrashSite

RIPMOULD

Quoted from Enef

Isn’t the problem that people don’t like Wire and so are likely to stop using ESL due to it + some harsh rules? Not with the fact they don’t want to submit support tickets for something that they either didn’t want in the first place or something that they think should have been better tested before making mandatory.

As I said before people don’t like to spend time on what they see as something unnecessary and annoying. The issue comes when ESL is meant to be the future of TF2 but people leave because of Wire and rules.

Quoted from CrashSite

[…]

Isn’t the problem that people don’t like Wire and so are likely to stop using ESL due to it + some harsh rules? Not with the fact they don’t want to submit support tickets for something that they either didn’t want in the first place or something that they think should have been better tested before making mandatory.

As I said before people don’t like to spend time on what they see as something unnecessary and annoying. The issue comes when ESL is meant to be the future of TF2 but people leave because of Wire and rules.

It’s not ESL’s fault that people are lazy/cba to spend a few minutes configuring things. I took 10 minutes to find things out with help from Anakin. Have had 0 problems with Wire.

It’s what Enef said basically.

Last edited by Buffalo Bill,

CrashSite

RIPMOULD

Quoted from Buffalo Bill

[…]

It’s not ESL’s fault that people are lazy/cba to spend a few minutes configuring things. I took 10 minutes to find things out with help from Anakin. Have had 0 problems with Wire.

Yes, but it is not the players that need ESL it is ESL that needs players. Most people I bet do not care whether TF2 gets biggger LANs or the prize pots of the top teams as they will never go to LANs nor become Prem. So if you want to attract people from this group, which is the majority, then you have to make being in the league as easy and as enjoyable as possible.

It is not ESL’s fault people are lazy, but as you said PEOPLE ARE LAZY. We all know this. This means you cannot expect people to put in more effort then the bare minimum. They just want to play some TF2 and any additional details are just annoyances to them.

Enef

fest
#wubafan

Quoted from CrashSite

[…]

Everyone knew signing up to ESL meant they had to use Wire. Why bother signing up if you don’t want to follow the rules? The rules are far from harsh. It’s the same as ETF2L+ you have to use wire. That’s about it. You build up Penalty Points when you do things wrong. But it’s not difficult to follow the rules, honestly. If you are ever unsure about them just SPEAK.TO.AN.ADMIN.

Fuck your “Don’t want to waste time” don’t bother signing up in the first place if you can’t follow rules. Simple as.

CrashSite

RIPMOULD

Quoted from Enef

[…]

Everyone knew signing up to ESL meant they had to use Wire. Why bother signing up if you don’t want to follow the rules? The rules are far from harsh. It’s the same as ETF2L+ you have to use wire. That’s about it. You build up Penalty Points when you do things wrong. But it’s not difficult to follow the rules, honestly. If you are ever unsure about them just SPEAK.TO.AN.ADMIN.

Fuck your “Don’t want to waste time” don’t bother signing up in the first place if you can’t follow rules. Simple as.

Yes they knew that they would have to use Wire, but they expected it to work. Any bugs with it and then the need to speak with admin is what annoys people. Also any crashes that it causes in the middle of a game is frustrating and sometimes, if it happens at a critical moment in game, rage inducing.

As for the rules it is again wire that presents the issue. In etf2l if you forget a screenshot or status screen you get a minor warning nothing big. But in ESL every player can get penalty points for messing up with Wire. Also the no merc rule is another rule that is harsh, and I am sure puts people off playing in ESL.

The last issue is that people have taken your advice, they didn’t sign up for ESL, only 70 teams did. If we want TF2 to grow the perception of ESL and Wire needs to improve, these type of threads do more damage than I think people realise. Someone who reads this would think that ESL is a annoying league to play in.

ups

Actually wanted to play esl this season, but due to an unfortunate misunderstanding we didn’t sign up.

Even if Wire has some issues with your software/hardware create a topic in the support forum, that can really help you determine the cause of any wire-related problems. But yeah it does annoy me that it conflicts with a lot of software running in the background.

SiTeHBu0mbb

DOWN

Like multiple people already said, most problems can be avoided by testing it beforehand.
Our full team tested it without any issues, proper ‘login-logout’, yet when we start playing my wire crashes without notification. As can be seen in the link from DrGimpfen, everyone who got penaltypoints got those for not having a ‘logout’ time, regardless of rebooting the game through wire (which .stefan and marco did I believe) and once again playing with the wire-client on. To me it seems only fair that these players get either no or a deduction in PPs, since they booted the program back up as soon as it crashed.

But since ‘rules are rules’ this is most likely not going to happen. So only thing I advise is play matches until your team is on 9 PPs, then use the two wildcards and hope some teams in your division get locked sooner than you do, thus giving you two default wins and hopefully making it to the end of the season.

WildCard

Quoted from CrashSite

[…]

Yes they knew that they would have to use Wire, but they expected it to work. Any bugs with it and then the need to speak with admin is what annoys people. Also any crashes that it causes in the middle of a game is frustrating and sometimes, if it happens at a critical moment in game, rage inducing.

As for the rules it is again wire that presents the issue. In etf2l if you forget a screenshot or status screen you get a minor warning nothing big. But in ESL every player can get penalty points for messing up with Wire. Also the no merc rule is another rule that is harsh, and I am sure puts people off playing in ESL.

The last issue is that people have taken your advice, they didn’t sign up for ESL, only 70 teams did. If we want TF2 to grow the perception of ESL and Wire needs to improve, these type of threads do more damage than I think people realise. Someone who reads this would think that ESL is a annoying league to play in.

People assume every rule in the TF2 section is simply decided by TF2 admins at ESL which is simply wrong, many rules are applied to every game for example no mercs isnt somthing the tf2 team simply decided on to annoy people…..its for all ESL games. And as it was stated on ESL news post you are allowed to add players to your roster during a season.

Teams dont have to pay to play in the Tf2 league, there not forced to signup, admins give there free time to try to help people when they can. Yes it would be great if wire worked for every single person in every single game but ofc there are going to be issues. And the fact that hardly any tf2 players bother to run wire before there officails is one of the reasons why people have problems. First week of matchs i had 5 + pms from people on friends list alone asking for a download link to wire…….. sums up alot of peoples attitude towards it.

download wire. join the tf2 test team, test wire before your officials, contact an admin to solve any problems.

kuma

just play the game!

CrashSite

RIPMOULD

Quoted from WildCard

[…]

People assume every rule in the TF2 section is simply decided by TF2 admins at ESL which is simply wrong, many rules are applied to every game for example no mercs isnt somthing the tf2 team simply decided on to annoy people…..its for all ESL games. And as it was stated on ESL news post you are allowed to add players to your roster during a season.

Teams dont have to pay to play in the Tf2 league, there not forced to signup, admins give there free time to try to help people when they can. Yes it would be great if wire worked for every single person in every single game but ofc there are going to be issues. And the fact that hardly any tf2 players bother to run wire before there officails is one of the reasons why people have problems. First week of matchs i had 5 + pms from people on friends list alone asking for a download link to wire…….. sums up alot of peoples attitude towards it.

download wire. join the tf2 test team, test wire before your officials, contact an admin to solve any problems.

I did not say that the no-merc rule was only for tf2, only that it is part of the cause for people not signing up. Whether it is all games or not, the fact that you can’t use mercs is an issue. You can add people to your roster, but I presume they need to be verified. So what happens if one of your teammates crashes just before the game and you don’t have any wildcards left? You can’t add someone and you can’t get a merc. Also is the rule of not joining multiple teams per season also in ESL? Cos I would want to use mercs for people who are in different teams, not just those who have none.

I personally think that ESL would be a great boost to TF2 as an e-sport, but this does not detract from the issue that people will not sign up for it. Even those who complain about Wire, even without testing it before the game, have a valid point, because they play in etf2l where none of this is needed and so get annoyed and do not understand why they have to use Wire. There also is a mentality I am willing to bet, that the thought process of using Wire is something like this, even if it is only of a subconscious level: I don’t cheat why do I need to run Wire.

As I said PEOPLE ARE LAZY; deal with it. In running a league you have to make everything as easy as possible for people, short of playing the matches for them. If you disagree with this, thinks it shit, doesn’t matter, it is true. The reason why ETF2L is so successful, even after Prem teams left is because of its website, friendly admins (in my personal experience at least) and no problems actually playing the game.

WildCard

Not going to debate the difference between etf2l and ESL as they are widely known to everyone.

friendly admins? im sure some people would say the opposite all depends on your own expereince with them, I know i would :) and in our 1 official we had countless problems :P hence why we droped.

As I say depends on your own experience.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 ... 10 Next »