Forum

Helping a n00b out :'(

Created 22nd January 2011 @ 19:10

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 5 Next »

Dan

I was just wondering if any of you had some free time to read through this, if you could PLEASE answer a few questions I have before I do decide to move from another game to competitive TF2. (The beginning mite have come across wrong but I assure you I do not mean it to sound nasty or idiotic).

1. With me being REALLY new, what would be the best class for me to play? I know that demo and soldier have specific jumps and things they have to do ect.

2. What are the LAN maps and what is the re-playability like? In css, cod4 ect there are only a few maps that are played and after some lans and online play you start to get sick of looking at the same thing constantly :(

3. Is the game stable? With call of duty 4 there is all ways that chance the game will “die” when a more update date call of duty game is released I just want to make sure nothing like that is hanging over TF2’s head.

4. What is the community like? In css they are well… not the most friendly people to talk to and get along with, but I have heard from countless others the TF2 community is nice an helpful.

5. Was wondering what leagues and cups are like, I know this website is the main focus for TF2 (Which don’t get me wrong is a VERY good thing) but I was also wondering if there are cups an leagues ran by other websites ect, whilst on this topic if you could all so tell me what lans there are pretty please <3

6. Teams… The problem with most other gaming scenes is there shortage of teams, I just wanted to know if the chances are high that if I do start to play it will take me 3 months to find a team.

If you get this far through reading this I thank you a bunch and thanks in advance for any answers that are given <3 xoxo
Much love.

LikeThis

Welcome to comp tf2, the best esport! :D

I’m sure monkeh will be a long soon with a link to his post for new comers that’s endlessly useful!

edit: here it is
http://etf2l.org/forum/league/topic-12510/page-1/#post-214456

Last edited by LikeThis,

Edd

T2P

1. personal choice, play each and find one to your liking
2. most played maps are: Badlands, granary, freight, gullywash
3. dont ask evil :D
4. the community is in comparison much better than those of CSS or COD4
5. yes there are, ESH runs cups with prizes, wireplay and esl have tf2 leagues respectively. Epiclan, maxlan, assembly, iseries, the reality
6. no, you should find a team relatively quickly.

short answers but i hope it helps :)

Last edited by Edd,

zeizZ

Steev

1. That’s for you to decide really. Get to know all the classes on pubs, and then you can choose which one you want to take further.

2. Most LAN maps are comp maps, i.e. Badlands, Granary, Obscure, Gullywash. I know some people get bored of the same maps over and over.

3. Well, the game’s been around for 2 and a half years. Valve have been updating it all this time, so I will assume they will keep updating it.

4. I find the community to be quite mature and most of the people I’ve met are nice, with some exceptions.

5. ESH, Wireplay, ESL, are some other leagues, Epic Lan, The I-Series, and some others I can’t remember.

6. There are a lot of teams, I’m sure you can find one of your skill level.

Tried to answer best I could :)

Turbo

-ƒ$-BLAH
sniper

Quoted from LikeThis

Welcome to comp tf2, the best esport! :D

I’m sure monkeh will be a long soon with a link to his post for new comers that’s endlessly useful!

edit: here it is
http://etf2l.org/forum/league/topic-12510/page-1/#post-214456

So what you are saying is ….inb4monkeh ?

Skully

Quoted from Turbo

[…]

So what you are saying is ….inb4monkeh ?

surely thats easy to be in before monkeh

SiTeHBu0mbb

DOWN

I don’t know if you come from another scene…but TF2 is the nicest and helpful scene I’ve been part of. I don’t know if you are familiar with things like tf2lobby.net etc, but if you want to start playing competitively in any game, I’d suggest TF2.

Daleth

ti.
[PG]

1. You could get a feel for whatever class suits you by playing tf2lobby.com. You’ll get to understand how the game is generally played competitively, but you won’t really improve a lot by just playing only that. Get to know people, play with them, you’ll probably start getting invited to mixes and thangs. Only at that point in time would I look for a team. Searching for a team with little experience and little friends will greatly extend the time it takes to find one.

2. Badlands, Granary, Gullywash, Obscure, Freight, Gravelpit, maybe Well. There are also a lot of upcoming maps like Snakewater and Bazillion.

3. The game is far from dead. We have plenty of LANs this year, hopefully going to make Dreamhack.

4. The community is generally chilled out and helpful. I don’t know much about CS:S, but I do know the community is a lot more aggressive than the TF2 community.

5. Wireplay does 7v7, 6v6 and 9v9, ESL is straight up vanilla 6v6 (I do recall a cp_turris tournament – Soldier 1v1), ESH runs a 6v6 league and runs many other cups like Scout 1v1 and Soldier+Medic 2v2 King of the Hill. There are also the North American leagues ESEA, TWL, UGC and some others.

In terms of LANs, there’s Multiplay’s Insomnia Series (2 or 3 a year), Summer Assembly and Winter Assembly, MAX LAN, epic.LAN and many smaller LANs around Europe.

6. Many many teams just starting up or in need of players, if you do what I recommend in 1. then you should find a team fairly easily.

Welcome to TF2, have fun :)

Last edited by Daleth,

Enef

fest
#wubafan

Welcome to TF2.

You seem to already understand there are only 4 main classes used in the competitive environment. That’s a good start. There are plenty of instructional videos and articles out there for each specific class but the best way to learn is by doing.

Go play on some public servers and TF2Lobby to find out which class you prefer. Pick one then stick with it and work at it. I imagine there will be a TON of new teams appearing in the next few weeks as we start moving ever closer to pre-season for Season 9 so you shouldn’t have any issues finding a team suitable to your level, whether they’re suitable to your personality is a different issue though.

Remember that the game is as much about having fun with your team as it is about doing anything else. Find a group of people you enjoy playing with, work together as a group to improve and then see what you can do.

In regards to the thread mentioned earlier, i’m sure Monkeh will be here soon to introduce himself, http://etf2l.org/forum/league/topic-12510/?recent=263948 there is your link. Everything you need to know about beginning to play in ETF2L and Competitive TF2.

As for Maps, you’ll see a large variety of them at times and then only a small select few worth playing. Badlands, Granary, Freight, Gullywash and Obscure are the 5 standard maps at the moment. Learning them will get you on the right road (you can find links to Gully/Obscure in the maps forum as they are the only custom maps played). Gravelpit is also played in leagues but less so and it requires more teamwork than anything else.

The game is as stable as any game out there really. Valve have worked damn hard to give it a hell of a lot of support though, continous updates over the past 2+ years have kept the public community fresh. There is a lot of debate about how useful these updates are to the competitive scene though. You’ll learn that reading these forums soon enough.

TF2, by far, has the greatest community of any competitive game to be honest. Unless you piss it off. In which case, you just angered a very very volatile beast and you should be very, very scared. There’s a lot of internal trolling in the community, a lot of pisstakes and people making fun of each other. There’s a lot of hate for russians. It’s more of the same of any community but once you get to LAN, you will receive hugs from people you never knew existed, you will see 20 guys gathered around a single monitor watching some nerd talk a girl out of her top on webcam, you will hear the single biggest shout of any LAN final at each and every lan event when sat in the crowd.

Overall, i’d say we’re a pretty decent community ;)

LAN Wise you have epic.LAN a small lan in Exxotter that has a £1000 prize pot, the I-Series events (the biggest draws for the community) always has a TF2 Tournament, Winter Assembly, Summer Assembly, etc etc, the list goes on. Hopefully in the next year the LAN scene will only get bigger.

League wise the only place anybody gives any credit to really is ETF2L but there are a few others working hard to offer alternatives. ESL, Wireplay and ESH all have their own leagues (ESH holds one night cups and other things on a semi-regular basis.) You signed up at just about the right time though, to be honest. Wireplay has a new season starting in a few weeks, ETF2L should be preparing to enter their pre-season run up mode any time now and ESL should be gearing up for their next season also.

As for teams, i’ll let the stats do the talking.

Season 8 Powered by SteelSeries ETF2L Season 8 powered by Steelseries League 6on6 [6v6] 406/350

Highlander Challenge Cup Stage The ETF2L Highlander Community Challenge! Cup Highlander [9v9] 259/256

Any more questions?

Last edited by Enef,

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from SiTeHBu0mbb

TF2 is the nicest and helpful scene I’ve been part of

you bumbaclat

SiTeHBu0mbb

DOWN

Quoted from octochris

[…]

you bumbaclat

Try css on a higher level, being able to speak/write german may help.

Sunbather

maksa

wall-o-text

kurt

trick17
trick17

Quoted from SiTeHBu0mbb

[…]

Try css on a higher level, being able to speak/write german may help.

Care to explain this joke?

laerin

-9w-

He’s saying top CS:S is full of angry, raging, german dicks presumably.

kuma

don’t go scout, they are like rats in that there are way too many of them and you won’t find a team

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 5 Next »