Forum

TFTrue 2.8

Created 30th December 2008 @ 10:15

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 27 28 29 ... 41 Next »

AcidReniX

RaWr ::

You say 1 pipe on a scout is overpowered, and i’m saying 2 shot by a scout is overpowered. If you change it so it takes more than 1 pipe to kill a scout, then change it so it takes more than 2 scattergun shots to kill a demo. If the sole purpose of TFTrue is to remove random damage, then if a demoman is getting a nerf (losing the ability to 1 pipe kill), then a scout should get a nerf (losing the ability to 2 shot kill).

It just so happens that these ‘averages’ gimp the demoman because you are talking about ‘an extra shot’ where as with the scout, you are talking about removing damage (from the upper end) which doesn’t actually mean he needs less shots to kill a player (as 2 normally does it anyway).

I think every scout would complain if the scout’s scattergun did 87 damage at point blank range instead of 100. But it’s only 13 damage???? But it means the scout needs 1 more point blank range shot to kill a heavy class, just as with this ‘nerf’, the demoman needs 1 more shot to kill a light class (some of the time).

This is why there is an issue with this method of balancing random damage.

And while I was trying to avoid writing another wall of text, take these opinions of mine into consideration.

Currently: (scout @ point blank)
Demo kills scout: 1 shot, 2 shot
Scout kills demo: 2 shot, 3 shot

TFTrue:
Demo kills scout: 2 shot
Scout kills demo: 2 shot

What it should be:
Demo kills scout: 2 shot
Scout kills demo: 3 shot

This is why the low + high / 2 system doesn’t work, because it doesn’t take into account the number of shots needed. It would work fine if every gun was a machine gun, but different guns fire at different rates. A 10 damage nerf on a scout might mean he needs an extra shot to kill a soldier, but a 10 damage nerf on a soldier may not change the number of rockets needed to kill a scout… so the actual value is irrelevant for the soldier as it doesn’t actually nerf his killing ability in a 1 on 1 at all, but it does nerf the scout.

But then how do you work out an exact random damage cap? because TF2 is not all about scouts vs demomen. With scout vs demoman you might say ok… demoman hits for 80 per pipe, scout hits for 86 per point blank shot. But this might imbalance soldier vs scout, or soldier vs demo, and then those values would have to be altered in order to maintain TF2’s current state (including class balance as that is not what TFTrue was designed to alter), but remove random damage.

Arnold

DAKKA

where did i ever imply that i wanted to continously 2shot a demoman.
i couldn’t care less if it took a shot more… i rarely 2shot a demoman anyway since the random range is so huge.

i also said that these damage values might not be the optimal values. i only stated that 1shotting is bullshit.

AcidReniX

But that is what TFTrue does. It means a scout inflicts 100 damage at point blank range, which means a garaunteed 2 shot from that distance (no longer 3 shot). It makes a demoman hit for 100 with a pipe, which means a garaunteed 2 shot (no longer 1 shot).

AcidReniX

And if you agree that these values aren’t the best calculated ones, then we are in the same boat. I feel there is a way where the damage values can be altered to provide an equal balance between all classes (which yes, results in a demoman not being able to 1 shot a scout), but I feel this mod with it’s current system does not do that, and will not do that.

If it was all calculated, worked out based on many many factors, i’d be 90% for the mod, the only downside to me would be that this is a TF2 league, not a TF2 Pro mode league. A seperate one should be made for people that want changes in the game, not forcing this one upon the community.

atreides

Think about cl2, dl1, nocrits, I’m sure you get it.

One detail makes me wonder: were they many moaners when releasing TFTrue disabling crits? With a spread of a pipe between 60-150 you can consider a 150 damage pipe compared with a 60 as a hidden crit.

It’s this evolution: crits were disabled, valve increased the spanwidth of damage spreads
-> disable spread damage.

Jonni

[FB]

Acidrenix I totally agree with you. the idea of a tf2 ‘pro mod’ is the best i’ve ever heard. and yes the fixed damages are not right in TFTrue 2.2
But where my agreement with your post ends is that you say we should make a TF2 Pro Mode League. that’s basically saying, let’s split the TF2 community in half (essentially kill it).
I’d be willing to put large amounts of time into working out the kinks (damage wise) and helping this mod/plugin fit into TF2 as we all see it.

Fragga

FRAGGA`s
RIP

Scouts can two-shot soldiers are point blank too, why should the demoman be any different AcidReniX? Bare in mind the soldiers take 100% damage from their own projectiles now, whereas the demoman is still at 60%.

AcidReniX

Which is why i’m not in favour of changing anything with a mod. But if people are so concerned about all of these things listed in the forums over the last few weeks, maybe they should go make their own league using their new ruleset and mods, and leave the rest of us who just want to play TF2 as it came… to be.

No one used to moan so much about all these problems. It’s just a few loud voices as usual trying to alter the game.

AcidReniX

Ok, since you don’t get it, another example.

Currently: (at point blank range)
Soldier vs scout – 2 rockets
Scout vs soldier – 2 shot, 3 shot, 4 shot

with TFTrue:
Scout vs soldier – 2 shot

Who wins? Scout loses the 3 and 4 shot, and consistently gets 2 shot kills
Soldier still needs 2 rockets to kill the scout.
Scout gains an advantage.

I haven’t tested all of of the values, and nor am I going to…. but you must see what i’m getting at. By using the current tftrue system, certain classes DO get nerfed, while others get stronger. I’m not saying the scout is massively overpowered even though in the two examples i can think of (where i’m quite sure of the stats) he seems to be the one who gains something. The scout probably loses out on another class, or maybe even the shotgun (it might be 2 shotguns hits to kill a scout now instead of 3 ** I dont know this stat).

It alters gameplay and unbalances the classes… it doesn’t _just_ fix random damage as some people are implying.

Rele

Damn… Arx is right in many points.

However, I doubt that on point blank range its possible to need 4 shots for a soldier even with random damage.

But yeah, seems like TFTrue fixes some problems and creates new ones…

Still thinking that currently something with the demoman dmg output is wrong.

Fragga

FRAGGA`s
RIP

with TFTrue:
Scout vs soldier – 2 shot

that’s only correct for when the scout is literally hugging the soldier model, at just a few feet away he cannot 2 shot a soldier, me and anakin tested this. The problem isnt so much the power of the scout at point blank, but the 100% self damage taken by the soldier, which is just the most stupidly retarded thing valve ever did.

dunc

infs
dp.

I couldn’t really disgaree with you more Acid. I think the TFTrue values make the game much more enjoyable. This 100 HP you keep referring to for the scout is literally when he is stepping on the soldier’s toes. From any distance at all it suddenly becomes 80hp and 80hp per shot isn’t enough to two shot a demoman.

I see zero reason why a demoman should be able to one shot a scout, ever.

I resent the statement “most of us came to play TF2 as it is” or whatever you said. I think you’ll find a lot of players prefer the TFTrue static damage to the standard TF2 ranges.. the issues tend to lie with hassle of installing it etc. Obviously I’m not including the demoman that are greatly upset about this “demo nerf”. 160 damage stickies and consistent 100 damage grenades, CHRIST those demomen are underpowered!

xzr

arx is god.

toasty.

PHX

Maybe not god, but the voice of reason. Keeping the steam forum kids in check.

This thread is a great read.

AcidReniX

I’m just debating points. If it get implemented, i’ll probably let out a ‘ffs tftrue’ a few times in vent for a week, then not really care. But I don’t want something rubbish being implemented so it’s worth debating.

I know its a max damage, at point blank range, but a demoman’s sticky is 110 when directly under their feet (from what i saw, i know you said 160 but just going by what i tried quickly). This would also mean those 150+ stickies without TFTrue would also only be when they are directly underneath a player, and not just ‘realistically’ near them.

but it is still not only possible, but definate that a scout will 2 shot a soldier at point blank, where as without TFTrue, it’s only ‘probable’

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 27 28 29 ... 41 Next »