Forum

Improve the spectator mode

Created 3rd September 2010 @ 20:18

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »

freshmeatt

‹Con›

Quoted from dotfloat™

PROBLEM IS:

1. There is no radar in tf2 to my knowledge.
2. Valve will have to make an overhead image for every map ever created.
3. Unlike CS, maps are not flat.
4. Can’t think of one. Read 1., 2. and 3. again while I think.

#1. What does radar have to do with map overview?
#2. Like they did for every map for CS.
#3. What does that have to do with anything? They are not in CS either – if you mean multiple levels available for a player to be on in one 2d-position, it’s the same thing with CS and it works fine.

Mark

Phase

Quoted from dotfloat™

2. Valve will have to make an overhead image for every map ever created.

cl_leveloverview 1

enjoy

Quoted from freshmeatt

#1. What does radar have to do with map overview?

map overview is a bigger version of a radar.

Quoted from freshmeatt

#2. Like they did for every map for CS.

They did. If you notice, go into /cstrike/textures/overview in the gcf you’ll find overviews for every official map. TF2 has a similar folder, but with only tc_hydro.

Quoted from Mark

cl_leveloverview 1

Doesn’t work well.

Quoted from freshmeatt

#3. What does that have to do with anything? They are not in CS either – if you mean multiple levels available for a player to be on in one 2d-position, it’s the same thing with CS and it works fine.

I was desperately trying to find a 3rd problem. Don’t blame me.

Last edited by dotfloat™,

Mark

Phase

Quoted from dotfloat™

Doesn’t work well.

Yes it does, this is how it’s done in CS and how they take screenshots of overviews.

Quoted from Mark

[…]

Yes it does, this is how it’s done in CS and how they take screenshots of overviews.

They take screenshots using that command, then edit them so they look nice. Now think, Valve will have to do that for every official map, then all the popular custom maps will also need overviews. This is just too much work.

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from dotfloat™

[…]

They take screenshots using that command, then edit them so they look nice. Now think, Valve will have to do that for every official map, then all the popular custom maps will also need overviews. This is just too much work.

In CS they don’t edit them, why should they for TF?

Last edited by octochris,

Lynn

⁄⁄nν

I can see this feature being so useful to broadcasters, especially live ones.

Mark

Phase

Quoted from dotfloat™

[…]

No, they use cl_leveloverview

Try it yourself

Alrighty

I decided to spare you fine gentlemen from watching my horrible youtube video where I explain just how wrong you are, and instead I’ll keep things plain and simple.

Example in counter strike source (the new version), on de_dust2.
I’ve got HDR on, 0x AA, 1920×1080 res.
de_dust2 overview texture
de_dust2_radar overview texture
de_dust2 cl_leveloverview 5 (the number means how far the camera is zoomed out)

Double doors with cl_leveloverview 0 (first-person)
Double doors with cl_leveloverview 2

Also, note that if you try to use overview on a custom map it doesn’t work.

PS: don’t get me wrong, I would love to see this feature in tf2, I’m just trying to explain why valve won’t do it.

Last edited by dotfloat™,

Azdean

WTH!?

I don’t see what the fuss is about.

This isn’t CSS where the enemy team run off all over the map and kill things this is TF2 where the bulk of the enemy team will ALWAYS be on the choke and the scouts will ALWAYS be on the flanks.

Why the hell would we need some shitty map overview when it’s 1000% obvious where everyone will be?
Casting would see 0 improvement from this because we all know where the players are and if there going to do something new then caster’s just need to look at the flanks.

And I know it sounds like I’m only talking about badlands but every single TF2 map is built with choke’s and flanks.
It’s not hard to find the action on TF2 like it is on CSS because the action is centred around the points and there entrance’s.

Quoted from Azdean

rant

It’s still is nice to just see where everyone are at a given moment without going through every person.

Nagash

[CiC]
CiC

TFC also had this feature, and i believe it was in before CS was even released. not 100% certain on that, but anyway, it would be a nice little feature, even for just generic spectating, not just matches. true it’s easy enough to find the action, but not everyone plays the same way, and with something like this you could spot people hiding and waiting to pounce, or gaps in peoples defences where people exploit for backcaps.

heh, it would even be a good system for lower skilled clans or new to teamplay type players, because they could watch sourcetv demo’s to see positioning of players and where they are at any given moment.

you could even use it as a tool to research upcoming opponents to see if they have any gaps in their lineup etc… or to review your own matches to see who’s fault back caps are.

also you could watch demo’s at high speed and get a strong feel of where everyone is and whats going on, but you can’t do this at highspeed inthe current views.

Like i say though, it was in TFC, so if valve were going to port it over as a feature, they’d have done it at TF2’s release. The fact that they even have a folder in TF2 for overviews suggests that they tested the feature and it didn’t work, so it was left out

M24_

only problem with this is that valve probably won’t do it for custom maps.

edit: although most of the action is at choke, it is helpful for commentators to observe flanks, odd tactics before they happen.

Last edited by M24_,

Flack

ÐP | Highlander

Quoted from Azdean

I don’t see what the fuss is about.

This isn’t CSS where the enemy team run off all over the map and kill things this is TF2 where the bulk of the enemy team will ALWAYS be on the choke and the scouts will ALWAYS be on the flanks.

Why the hell would we need some shitty map overview when it’s 1000% obvious where everyone will be?
Casting would see 0 improvement from this because we all know where the players are and if there going to do something new then caster’s just need to look at the flanks.

And I know it sounds like I’m only talking about badlands but every single TF2 map is built with choke’s and flanks.
It’s not hard to find the action on TF2 like it is on CS because the action is centred around the points and there entrance’s.

THIS explain everything! Its not CS-.-

And in TF2 each battle can be very difference from CS.
Allways great too see when the soldiers and the demoman makes sweet airshots and i would honestly like to see that on the way it is now, it would make no since wachting it from a overview-.-

skinnie

TCM

just a somewhat related question:

does everyone have the same problem since the last update that when u spectate a sniper you can’t see him zooming anymore? (same when watching demos)

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »