Forum

New idea for pointing system.

Created 19th May 2015 @ 22:30

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

AB

who is it boring for? the team the they’re doing it to? if so, why does that matter? they want to win and good on them for that. If you don’t want it to happen to your team you have a choice A) be better than them and don’t go down rounds B) figure out how to push out and open it up, it’s really not impossible, especially if they’re playing ‘super passive’.

If it’s boring for viewers, which is only a consideration at high levels of play, I think the high stakes warrant it. And any good team will still be doing something with the time like going for force plays or off classing for advantages.

(how dare they make it harder for their opponents to beat them)

Last edited by AB,

Much as I hate to agree with teapot, he is right. Also most people don’t play ultra passive after 2 rounds in my experiance and being able to break holds is part of the skill and variety of 6v6.

cmd

(ETF2L Donator)
LEGO

I just want to point out that ‘get good’ is not a legitimate response to a system promoting game stalling.

Although I don’t agree with pige0n here, you’re just logically wrong.

Last edited by cmd,

Fuxx

REMOVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2XGp5ix8HE

stuntz

wireplay system? :o

AB

Quoted from cmd

I just want to point out that ‘get good’ is not a legitimate response to a system promoting game stalling.

I agree. What I’m saying however is that if the team gets a round lead and manages to keep it for the duration of the game by not letting the other team break their hold of mid/2nd then they are the better team and any reasonable system should award them with full points.

Last edited by AB,

cmd

(ETF2L Donator)
LEGO

Quoted from AB

[…]
any reasonable system should award them with full points.

Now you’re addressing pige0n’s system, everything else you’ve said is completely irrelevant.
The better team or not the system rewarded them for making the game boring.

not that I agree with the suggestion that is.

AB

Quoted from taube

This system should encourage teams to give it their best all the time, so they can get the full 3 points.

being boring was never the argument though and it’s a pretty silly one anyway, as I explained earlier.

You can argue that parking the bus is not giving their best but that argument breaks apart if you consider playoffs. A win is a win in playoffs and win-diffeerence is irrelevant.

Hypothetically speaking- if in the regular season, a team is good enough they should be able to get a round lead then park the bus, getting less than the full amount of points(in the suggested system) but still make playoffs because they won their matches and then do the same in playoffs.

I’m just rambling at this point but hopefully that makes sense.

DCS

(Legend)
notdoggo
Dr. med.

Cant link the thread, but we had this discussion multiple times on forums already. (Pretty sure including one right before season 20, when we talked about the swiss system)

This pointing system had flaws, but so does every other. Most things are suboptimal, but still the best to go with.

Last edited by DCS,

cmd

(ETF2L Donator)
LEGO

Quoted from AB

[…]

being boring was never the argument though and it’s a pretty silly one anyway, as I explained earlier.

You can argue that parking the bus is not giving their best but that argument breaks apart if you consider playoffs. A win is a win in playoffs and win-diffeerence is irrelevant.

Hypothetically speaking- if in the regular season, a team is good enough they should be able to get a round lead then park the bus, getting less than the full amount of points(in the suggested system) but still make playoffs because they won their matches and then do the same in playoffs.

I’m just rambling at this point but hopefully that makes sense.

Being boring is the exact argument intended, it’s his reasoning as to why the current system is flawed. Yes ptb in many situations is the most effective available tactic for winning and yes the better team will be more effective at utilizing and countering that very strategy. But that kind of slow stalemate ‘boring’ gameplay is exactly what we should be discouraging, which pige0n is trying to solve with the proposed system of his by encouraging getting the point difference win for more league points.

The playoff part I’m unsure if you’re referring to the playoffs according to his system, whereas I completely agree with you, or using the current system, which I disagree with.

And once again I don’t really agree with his proposal so I completely agree with you when you say that a team should be able to reach playoffs by winning their matches – irrelevant to how they won. This parking the bus problem won’t be solved by adjusting the scoring system, atleast not this way.

stuntz

If you want to solve the park the bus plays its as simple as making rounds less than 10 minutes to 2 or 3 and youd see light warp speed plays since it would reset the round when time ends and it would force mid fights.

Meeto

Quoted from stuntz

If you want to solve the park the bus plays its as simple as making rounds less than 10 minutes to 2 or 3 and youd see light warp speed plays since it would reset the round when time ends and it would force mid fights.

This would be absolutely terrible. The current pacing of the game is fine, I have never seen a team park the bus when they’re 2 points up unless there’s like 5 minutes left in the game. Generally, a team will only park the bus if they’re like, 4 points up with not that much time on the clock, in which case why shouldn’t they? They aren’t the ones losing, it’s on the losing team to push and make a comeback. Prove you actually deserve the win.

The point system that Pige0n suggested would be fairly difficult to balance out in the swiss system. We already have teams getting 6 points for doing nothing. To be honest, the current system is fine and straightforward and there isn’t much reason to change it.
You win = you get points
You lose = you don’t get points
You draw = you get some points

It seems like Chess.tf were the victim of the ‘park the bus strat’ to me, and Chess.tf have a habit of being salty.
#sonneborn-berger

damneasy

This wont prevent the parking the bus?? If you are ahead 4 rounds, you are on last, why would you not park the bus? You probably have enough time for the 5th round in awhile anyway

Kengur

I remember playing offi snakewater like that. We should have just parked the bus… but no. We invited Sandra Bullock and drive the fucken thing for solid 1.5 hours straight…

H...

-[MG]-
HL

If a team goes 2-0 then parks the bus relinquishing the momentum, giving us a chance to regroup, play for picks and try to stack the odds in our favour for a push. I’ll take that everytime.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »