Forum

ETF2L needs to be more noob-friendly

Created 9th May 2015 @ 01:35

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 4 Next »

Kaneco

I have added a handful of people the past week since competitive mm was announced and even more after muselk video, every one of them stumbled upon tf2center or tf2pickup and to avoid them having a bad first experience (or getting banned on tf2pickup for example) I tried to add them and direct them the right way, but there are several hurdles within the site that really should be addressed fast to take advantage of this new wave of players coming and soon to come with matchmaking.

Here’s some challenges I faced when trying to help some players.

http://i.imgur.com/bxZ2dQv.png
http://i.imgur.com/rOfjbT7.png

Open name is confusing (I already had that criticism when we changed to tiers system), Low seems much more logic and fitting. Still that’s the least of the problems. There’s no real guide or even explanation on the website where I could find how to open a recruitment post, and yes that’s a real issue for new people even if you are already used to the website.

Like, not even the 6v6 newcomer guide makes any mention to the recruitment section or how to open a recruitment post or how it should be like. Also that guide is too hidden to do anything valuable, it should be an infobox or something like that in the header/homepage or a menu of its own.

Very scarce information regarding some stuff, and with a site layout straight of 2004 some people might be immediately turned off by this.

We really need to be able to accommodate this new wave of players if we want our scene to grow, and the best way to do that is make the main league in europe as noob friendly as possible, which it currently isn’t.

Oxy

TC.Express

Afaik it takes players to the newcomer thread once they register.

Kaneco

Quoted from Oxy

Afaik it takes players to the newcomer thread once they register.

Well as stated even the newcomer guide doesn’t explain the recruitment section.

Also this guy for example was already registered on etf2l for like 2 months and only now showed interest. Its understandable that some players when registering just ignore that.

ducky

Quoted from Kaneco

Like, not even the 6v6 newcomer guide makes any mention to the recruitment section or how to open a recruitment post or how it should be like.

http://etf2l.org/forum/league/topic-31516/page-1/#post-533885

Now I agree that the part where the recruitment section is explained is missing on both gamemode guides and the FAQ.

We should probably add that since it’s not common intuition to guess that you’re supposed to use the WordPress backend to create a rec-post for yourself.

Quoted from Kaneco

Also that guide is too hidden to do anything valuable, it should be an infobox or something like that in the header/homepage or a menu of its own.

I assume you’re referring to the 6v6 guide?

Not every new player wants to play 6s, some might have questions regarding highlander, or on basic stuff like how to create an account or register a team, or how the swiss system works etc… all of which are answered in various guides and FAQs listed in the “Help” tab.

So logically we’d have to link the “Help” tab on the front page, which already is the case.
In fact it’s in the top bar of every single page on the ETF2L site, accessing it through the front-page is as easy as moving your mouse ~7cm to the right and pressing M1:

http://i.imgur.com/eEFJvJ9.png

Quoted from Kaneco

Very scarce information regarding some stuff, and with a site layout straight of 2004 some people might be immediately turned off by this.

Care to elaborate which kind of “stuff”, other than the recruitment section, needs more information about itself?

Also, we are aware that the current site design isn’t ideal for attracting new players, that’s why the beta design exists.

Though our site coders can’t dedicate every waking moment of their life working on it, remember that they are volunteers with real life commitments which they need to attend to.

Kaneco

I dont see any single image on the newcomer page, you realise how many people will just close it immediatly seeing it’s a wall of text?

That’s actually a thing I love about tf2center, their splash page is very explicit with clean and concise graphics with instructions that go direct to the point and make everything clear for even the complete newbie. I think something similar (splash page or not) would help greatly.

As for what’s missing it’s probably as you mentioned in the other post, separation of gamemodes, more in depth guidelines/guides on recruitment section or how to find a team or people to play with.

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

I agree, the newcomer sections could be much more user-friendly.

I watched this video a while back as PR admin – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivNug9WTadU

He actually raised a lot of good points, many unrelated to the topic but simple user guides, video guides and such would make a big difference. A lot would involve a complete re-imagining of the web’s design….but I don’t expect ETF2L to make any change and try to do the minimum to pass off promotion and keep the stagnating community content, until the lack of growth descends the league into nothing.

AB

http://etf2l.org/forum/league/topic-31516/page-1/

cmd

(ETF2L Donator)
LEGO

Quoted from Kaneco

with a site layout straight of 2004

Wouldn’t call that a bad thing
although maybe I’m just used to it, euros cant adapt rolf

Last edited by cmd,

Permzilla

(Legend)
(☞゚ヮ゚)☞
WiK?

Quoted from Hildreth

….but I don’t expect ETF2L to make any change and try to do the minimum to pass off promotion and keep the stagnating community content, until the lack of growth descends the league into nothing.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

schocky

ist doof

Quoted from Kaneco

I have added a handful of people the past week…

Just wanna say that I appreciate that. There are not many people out there who would do that. I have seen many (especially low/midskill-players) who slam worse and new players during tf2center matches though.

ducky

Quoted from Kaneco

I dont see any single image on the newcomer page, you realise how many people will just close it immediatly seeing it’s a wall of text?

Images on the newcomer pages/guides, noted.

Quoted from Hildreth

…but I don’t expect ETF2L to make any change and try to do the minimum to pass off promotion and keep the stagnating community content, until the lack of growth descends the league into nothing.

If only we had a PR admin who did something to make a change happen…sadly the last guy quit halfway through because he wasn’t fit for the task at hand.

Though until we find someone who’s actually suitable for that admin position we should be fine either way, after all this league has existed for almost 8 years now.

ash

(Legend)
:D

If none of the current admin team has the time, skills and/or motivation to update the Newcomers Guide, maybe outsourcing it to a trusted community member would be a viable choice.

RTC

Ducky, do you have to be so self-righteous all of the time? If you’re actively going to debate and defend ETF2L’s current stance, please do it in a way that doesn’t make you look like a bigoted twat waffle, thanks.

Using the tier name “Low” seems a little degrading in my personal view. Open is more inviting towards new players, as in it is open to all players.

I’d agree that the newcomer guide needs to be updated and have more attention drawn to it, especially with the recent influx of new players coming in, and a likelihood for this to increase in the coming months with matchmaking due to arrive.

CHERRY

Quoted from ducky

If only we had a PR admin who did something to make a change happen…sadly the last guy quit halfway through because he wasn’t fit for the task at hand.

Though until we find someone who’s actually suitable for that admin position we should be fine either way, after all this league has existed for almost 8 years now.

Discretion doesn’t let me reveal details of this event, but you shouldn’t really be saying that since to call it nicely it’s misleading.

Also I don’t think stagnation is what you’re going for. We have once in a lifetime opportunity and we should use it.

Take an example from ash who wants to work on a solution instead of arguing over nothing :P

Last edited by CHERRY,

Kaneco

Quoted from ash

If none of the current admin team has the time, skills and/or motivation to update the Newcomers Guide, maybe outsourcing it to a trusted community member would be a viable choice.

I mean, I would love to help, but between my current projects, my university work, the team I play for, and still trying to find an acceptable social life, it’s really impossible for me.

Maybe in the summer when the things cool down a bit I could help if you’re still receptive but I think that would be a bit late if there’s already an influx of new players.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 4 Next »