Forum

More divisions?

Created 12th November 2014 @ 10:31

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

Twiggy

swole.
HL

Can someone explain to me how exactly a Swiss system works?

sorsa

mooz

Quoted from Twiggy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss-system_tournament
I think he means this.

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

With all the incredible tf2-related projects we have, I find it hard to believe that nobody would fix the league without being paid.

Bob Bami

there should be like 1 div 6, 1 div 5, 1 div 4 etc.

First 5 weeks or something the best play the best and worse play the worse, best/worse gets decided by win/loss ratio, then split up in a couple of divs high mid low.
Then play offs till there is a #1.

ducky

Quoted from fraac

With all the incredible tf2-related projects we have, I find it hard to believe that nobody would fix the league without being paid.

it’s a lot of work. even the most hardcore etf2l enthusiasts wouldn’t bother putting so much time into a task like this without getting paid.

see it as more of a long term goal. just wait for the next (couple of) seasons to come around.
maybe etf2l funding will change in a way that makes it feasible to invest time and money into an overhaul

Gentleman Jon

Quoted from Twiggy

Basically you always play someone with the same record as you, so if you win the first game you play someone else who won the first one and so on. After a few rounds it starts to even out in terms of skill.

It’s a good way to handle large groups, the bigger the group the bigger the benefits. It handles hundreds of players/teams in say 7-9 rounds. Teams dropping part way through is a problem.

mhwk

wookie
VDOH

Quoted from Alfie

[…]
if etf2l were to start a fundraiser to hire a coder to do the work for us, I would definitely put some money in, and I’m sure others would too

CHERRY

Quoted from Permzilla

[…]

That would require a complete overhaul of the site, which we cannot afford to pay someone to do. I have asked our coders fairly recently (which they quite reasonably declined) because I know that the ESEA system is better, but without someone putting tonnes of hard work into the backend it won’t be possible.

The playoff system this season is probably the closest thing towards an ESEA-style we can get, for now.

You didn’t ask me, but I guess there is only one person in the team keen enough to be considered for this :D

Quoted from mhwk

[…]

There are seriously better ways to spend your money.

Last edited by CHERRY,

CHERRY

Quoted from Gentleman Jon

[…]
Basically you always play someone with the same record as you, so if you win the first game you play someone else who won the first one and so on. After a few rounds it starts to even out in terms of skill.

It’s a good way to handle large groups, the bigger the group the bigger the benefits. It handles hundreds of players/teams in say 7-9 rounds. Teams dropping part way through is a problem.

I don’t see how teams dropping on the way as a problem usually winners in swiss tournament are the ones with all matches won so even if you unfairly get one more win from a person dropping you still have to prove your skill on the later matches.

Last edited by CHERRY,

ash

(Legend)
:D

Quoted from CHERRY

[…]
You didn’t ask me, but I guess there is only one person in the team keen enough to be considered for this :D

[…]

beta?

CHERRY

Quoted from ash

[…]

beta?

what βeta?

Permzilla

(Legend)
(☞゚ヮ゚)☞
WiK?

I came up with a brief positives and negatives table from speaking with a few people (myself I am not familiar with the system)

+The ability to drop and undrop your team as you desire throughout the season. (or skipping a match)
+If lower divisions get good prizes next season, the prizes will be more valuable if there are smaller groups (not like s19 playoffs div1,2,3,4,5,6 instead something like Invite,Intermediate,Open)
+You can guarantee a clear winner of the group by playing x number of games (Although it cannot guarantee no ties in other positions)
+After the initial first match (its common to seed the first week so stronger teams play weaker teams) the matches should be closer because it pairs teams with similar stats.

-No wildcards. All games need to be submitted by the week deadline so next weeks matches can be scheduled.
-The ability to reschedule matches that went through MC’s/rule violations will be gone.
-Once Week 2 starts, Week 1 is 100% finished no questions asked.
– Golden caps giving 2-1 would have to be scrapped, there has to be a clear winner. Winning a golden cap would have to give all the points to the winner.

I removed some of the points relevant to admins only. Feel free to suggest any more benefits or drawbacks or comment on the system overall. In contradiction to my previous post (circumstances have changed) this is well within the realms of possibility.

Admirable

(Toucan Ambassador)

Quoted from Permzilla

– Golden caps giving 2-1 would have to be scrapped, there has to be a clear winner. Winning a golden cap would have to give all the points to the winner.

Please scrap golden cap scoring whatever happens. It makes no sense :D

Sepu

(Kovein)
0fo

I agree with not giving pity-points for losing a bit slower.

Collaide

Quoted from Sepu

I agree with not giving pity-points for losing a bit slower.

Yeah. This.

I hate when the score is even, and the opposing team just camps last until a golden cap starts for a guaranteed point + a fair chance to get control of mid + possibly second + possibly last.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »