Forum

More divisions?

Created 12th November 2014 @ 10:31

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

Popcorp

Quoted from Permzilla

+The ability to drop and undrop your team as you desire throughout the season. (or p by playing x number of games (Although it cannot guarantee no ties in other positions)

-No wildcards. All games need to be submitted by the week deadline so next weeks matches can be scheduled.
-Once Week 2 starts, Week 1 is 100% finished no questions asked.
– Golden caps giving 2-1 would have to be scrapped, there has to be a clear winner. Winning a golden cap would have to give all the points to the winner.

1) But if you drop a team, your team gets replaced by other team that is in a waiting queue, how are you going to deal with that, will you have to Replace dropped team or they need to tell an admin that they might Undrop?

2) You can improve Wildcards instead of getting rid of them, for example: If you wish to Wildcard a match, you need to do it 24 hours before match, if Your team Wildcards, enemy team sets a new date when the official takes place, but there is a X days delay when they can set a date. Just examples

3) Nope, can be quite messy

4) I Agree

To add up, I really would like to see a new rule involved with “Valve update making Tf2 unplayable”, for example: When Halloween update came, you could see Players stuck inside of you whenever someone was speccing you or floating bodies, I know you could get rid of that with tf_playergib 0, but this is one of the examples of Tf team breaking the whole game.
So if they mess up and make it really unplayable, match can be rescheduled by any team EVEN if it’s a Deadline day, after bug was fixed, teams have 1 additional day to play match (So you can play match either after bug was fixed or day after)

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

You can’t reschedule because it stops being the correct fixture, as I understand it. ESEA do coinflips on deadline if teams can’t reach a result.

Bulow

GG

Sounds like people want to move to UGC, where they employ this system for divisions. They have 6s as well as HL…

CHERRY

Quoted from Bulow

Sounds like people want to move to UGC, where they employ this system for divisions. They have 6s as well as HL…

We should get rid of UGC on those forums. Recruitment section aswell :D

Last edited by CHERRY,

Kaneco

Quoted from Permzilla

[…]

That would require a complete overhaul of the site, which we cannot afford to pay someone to do. I have asked our coders fairly recently (which they quite reasonably declined) because I know that the ESEA system is better, but without someone putting tonnes of hard work into the backend it won’t be possible.

The playoff system this season is probably the closest thing towards an ESEA-style we can get, for now.

How is esea system in any way, shape or form superior to the division format?

With the division format you have a much more approximate representation of skill, you have the extra motivation factor of being easy to see the improvement and climbing divisions and you have a much easier tournament format to prepare and schedule

CHERRY

Quoted from Kaneco

[…]

How is esea system in any way, shape or form superior to the division format?

With the division format you have a much more approximate representation of skill, you have the extra motivation factor of being easy to see the improvement and climbing divisions and you have a much easier tournament format to prepare and schedule

But you don’t know playing 6A if you’re any better than scrubs from 6B and sometimes 3rd team in one group of the same tier deserves going up more than 2nd somewhere else.

Kaneco

Quoted from CHERRY

[…]
But you don’t know playing 6A if you’re any better than scrubs from 6B and sometimes 3rd team in one group of the same tier deserves going up more than 2nd somewhere else.

Not everything is fair nor every system is perfect. I think it balances out in the latter divisions and the trade off is perfectly ok for a much better system.

Think about it, open goes anywhere from div5-6 to div2 or so they say, I know its a long division in a different system but still, its a completely different thing for you to be able to say, “I’m div4” or “I’m div5” than saying, “I’m open”, who cares thats like a 100 team division. A division/league system is much more representative of actual skill levels than any other system, you still got the best teams on top and the worst teams on bottom, and you are actually able to say which skill tier you are.

Plus, and I really wanna put emphasis on this, the mental aspect of a division system is so much better. It’s much more rewarding and noob friendly to have a small but long tiered system where anyone can progress in a reasonable amount of time and be able to analyze and have an official history of their progress.

It’s better than being like 6 seasons in open, but you say “b-b-but I went from low open to mid-high open in those 6 seasons”, like honestly who the fuck cares, its still open in the end, you’re not making any official progress as far as the league organization goes, and that plays a long role in the mental aspect of the game I think.

The original post in this thread is quite redundant and makes no sense whatsoever, because someone has to start somewhere, and when u start, you’re gonna get stomped no matter where you start (tf2center, pugs, etf2l)… Div6 is the absolute bottom of the barrel in terms of skill and its fine as it is, now, what I think could be changed would be to have restrictions on who can play in div6, for example players with 3 or more seasons of competitive example shouldn’t be able to play there, etc, etc… In the worst case scenario the only thing I can see better than that is creating an entry division ( div7 so to speak) only for teams with no prior competitive experience or with players with no more than x seasons of competitive experience

Last edited by Kaneco,

Setlet

I think the idea with div6 being a swiss tournament and having divs being normal from div5 to prem would fix the problems of div6 being too wide in terms of skill. Also, people can still have a good skill level indicator from different divisions (I’m div4 for example).

emb

(Legend)
ciortai

UGC uses the swiss system, and it comes with a set of advantages and disadvantages. It would require much bigger changes to ETF2L than just generating new fixtures every week:

1. Swiss league does not support late matches. Fixtures must be played on time or not at all. No delays of any shape or form, including wildcards. Late matches will be coinflipped or nullified, no exceptions.

2. You do not know your opponents until the start of the week. Very little time to schedule, not enough time for individual default dates. Would probably use “play days” with preset dates like UGC.

3. A strict one match per week with no ability to wildcard might make it difficult to practice two maps for each week. We may need to switch to a single-map two-halves format and change our scoring system+configs.

4. Learning from UGC’s experience, having close matches requires more than just seeding by wins and losses, otherwise the earliest and latest matches in a season will be steamrolls for most teams. Some kind of skill rating used to seed divisions and the first few rounds in a season is a must, and how this rating should be computed is a whole issue of its own.

Twiggy

swole.
HL

How is it so hard to overhaul a wordpress based website with an already existing content management system?

Why not even use something external to handle brackets/fixtures/Results and just embed it here?

Popcorp

I would really like to have a Pre-Season Week like Cevo and UGC has, not Mandatory to play, no points gained/lost if not played, Pre-Season week can be used to try out some Beta map(s)

Have you considered that?

It wouldn’t hurt anyone, it needs to be played before Week 1 and that’s it, if both teams end a map in a draw, no need for a Golden Cap, just a Mini 1 Night Cup sort of thing, would really help map makers to make maps better. This would be a big step forward.

Last edited by Popcorp,

Fuxx

REMOVE

Quoted from Popcorp

I would really like to have a Pre-Season Week like Cevo and UGC has, not Mandatory to play, no points gained/lost if not played, Pre-Season week can be used to try out some Beta map(s)

Kaneco

Quoted from Twiggy

How is it so hard to overhaul a wordpress based website with an already existing content management system?

Why not even use something external to handle brackets/fixtures/Results and just embed it here?

lol, you severely underestimate etf2l complexity.

Plus the whole league structure and system has a lot of historical content and information in the db since the 1st seasons, using anything external would defeat the purpose of this league/site in the 1st place…

Why is this even an issue? The league is working fine as it is. I would even argue that all these playoffs this season are unnecessary

ANd let’s not get back to the whole “ESEA doing it so it should be better because they have a lan” argument.

Quoted from Popcorp

Thats why 1 day cups exist, we had plenty in the past, why the fuck would we need a redundant and compleetely useless pre season if we can have a much more well thought new map cup with different brackets, medals, etc…

Last edited by Kaneco,

Fuxx

REMOVE

Quoted from Kaneco

Thats why 1 day cups exist, we had plenty in the past, why the fuck would we need a redundant and compleetely useless pre season if we can have a much more well thought new map cup with different brackets, medals, etc…

BECAUSE ETF2L ADMIN TEAM CLEARLY GIVES A FLYING FUCK ABOUT THOSE EXPERIMENTAL 1 DAY CUPS AND DON’T JUST IGNORE SHIT THEN RAM A FUCKING USELESS MAP NO ONE CARES ABOUT AND ISN’T EVEN FINISHED INTO THE POOL

AND THEN THEY KEEP IT ANYWAY DESPITE MASSIVE PROTEST AGAINST IT

FUCK

Last edited by Fuxx,

Popcorp

Quoted from Kaneco

1 night cup and Pre-Seasons are different things
1 Night cups need to be played at specific day and time, while Pre-Season week can be played at any time but before Week 1. Pre-Season week is basically just to give a feedback to mapmaker(s), you’re not losing anything from adding Week 0, you just provide a huge support to Community Contributors (Mapmakers), ofc that doesn’t mean all teams going to play Week 0, but there will be teams that are going to play Pre-Season.

There are only benefits from adding a Pre-Season and no drawbacks

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »