Forum

Reduce wildcards to 1

Created 30th January 2014 @ 21:09

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 5 Next »

Sonny Black

(Legend)
SUAVE

Quoted from skeej

How about we properly schedule playoffs in the future, which means NOT cramming them in the scheduling week. That would probably have prevented some wildcarding (at least ours)

That would either mean:
-only one season before i52
or
-Season 18 goes deep into August, possibly September

Also that would have only prevented your wildcard. Since Ayo Gurl had internet issues, not issues connected to the playoffs at all. So blaming the playoffs is pretty subjective here. :p

droso

o/

Wildcards are fine.

Popcorp

That’s why teams must have subs, AYO has 8 players (2 subs), no one could sub Stark yesterday?

Just get some subs in your team and let them play at least few scrims so that you don’t need to wildcard all the time

Last edited by Popcorp,

LaMqTa

fenneks

Wildcards are fine. But the playoffs should not be played that late and especially when there are 4-5 teams fighting for the spots.

Permzilla

(Legend)
(☞゚ヮ゚)☞
WiK?

Quoted from Popcorp

That’s why teams must have subs, AYO has 8 players (2 subs), no one could sub Stark yesterday?

Just get some subs in your team and let them play at least few scrims so that you don’t need to wildcard all the time

We were already using a backup, E-thug. Kos was at Stark’s flat so we had 2 players timing out. Playing was out of the question

Sideshow

(ETF2L Donator)
ft.
WiK?

Also we don’t have subs for anyone other than our scouts, and the player pool isn’t big enough for every team to have 10 or so players so that every class has a backup. It’d be equivalent to using mercs constantly as well because you can’t use that many subs and get them really integrated into the team without being a team for a long time, and most of this season’s teams are new. Getting a good merc close to the game isn’t an option a lot of the time too, and that’s why wildcards exist, for emergency situations such as these. But I agree that teams should only need allowances for one emergency a season especially at prem, and that currently they’re used frivolously.

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Quoted from skeej

How about we properly schedule playoffs in the future, which means NOT cramming them in the scheduling week. That would probably have prevented some wildcarding (at least ours)

I agree with this 100%.

I think either 1 wildcard plus a catch-up week or two wildcards plus no catch-up week, teams need to find better methods to schedule – Taking out catchup week (for Prem) will open space for time to have pre-season playoffs.

I would be interested to know what reasons teams wildcard for? Players not being able to make it at the last minute (the original purpose of wildcards) or bad scheduling/teams feel unprepared for a match due to lack of practises?

Furthermore, the issue of backups needs to be taken into consideration, teams do not want to play without their main line-up and with mercs available, why do we need backup players? We could adopt a policy by reducing wildcards and encourage leaders to rely more on scheduling properly or using backups.

This is something that definitely needs to be addressed unless we’re happy to have games thrown all of the place. Though I admit there has been times where 2 wildcards have been needed for legitimate reasons, a lot of is down to teams not scheduling properly.

Spike Himself

TC

Playoffs can and should be properly prepared and scheduled in, no doubt about it. Whether or not that means to extend the season with a week isn’t that relevant (or, as hinted at by Perm and Sonny, due to time pressure, possible).

This is not related to the existing wildcard issues though. The system is not at fault, after all; it is the attitudes of the teams/players. They choose to use wildcards when there isn’t necessarily a “real” reason for it (bar some exceptions like skeej’s).

The system not being at fault doesn’t necessarily mean however that changing the system could not provide a fix, or at least decrease the amount of misuse.

tl;dr Ideally people just stop misusing wildcards, but we all know that’s not goingto happen, so we look for other ways

To expand on Hildreth’s comment above; perhaps we should enforce a minimum limit of players a team should have? Or rather, as we already do that, increase that limit. Though I can see why that could be an issue, particularly in Prem.. (and you can just have inactive roster-riders just to work around the limit.. nvm)

8 players or ban

Last edited by Spike Himself,

kaidus

WiK?

To be clear, ayogurl wasn’t one of the teams I was calling out. Their wildcard was pretty much as legit as it comes. Skeej and droso can suck my dick though.

Permzilla

(Legend)
(☞゚ヮ゚)☞
WiK?

Also lets not turn this into a playoff discussion, it’s meant to be about wildcards after all

Carlos Kaiser

Quoted from Spike Himself

8 players or ban

The rule won’t fix anything, people would still wildcard, since playing with your mains>playing with backups or mercs.

droso

o/

Btw, no one wants to watch prem games with backups or mercs.
That’s why I still feel like 2 wildcards are a good thing imo.

T0m

(ETF2L Donator)

Maybe have the team provide real reasons for using a wildcard instead of just saying “blah isn’t around tonight”?

Sonny Black

(Legend)
SUAVE

Quoted from T0m

Maybe have the team provide real reasons for using a wildcard instead of just saying “blah isn’t around tonight”?

What prevents them from making something up?

smziii

(Legendary Ratehacks)
SVIFT

My grandma died ( example) think thats not admins or public business

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 5 Next »