Forum

Switching over to the NA scoring system

Created 14th March 2013 @ 16:41

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 ... 14 Next »

AnimaL

Quoted from AcidReniX

The reason why you don’t see as many stalemates in US tf2, is not because of the rules, but because of their mentality. If they have an advantage, they push it, meaning the team holding CP3, push their advantage of having more capture points to fall back on if something goes wrong.

word

Hallow

P.O.P

It bothers me that Arx seems to write every one of his posts with intentions of “pitching” his beliefs on how TF2 should work to everyone else.

IPZIE

SUAVE

Quoted from Hallow

It bothers me that Arx seems to write every one of his posts with intentions of “pitching” his beliefs on how TF2 should work to everyone else.

Big supporter of 1 map per week but I actually prefer win difference 5. Seen some comebacks this season that just wouldn’t have been possible without it.

Quoted from Hallow

CanFo asked for feedback, Arx gave his. I don’t think anything is wrong with his post, even if I don’t agree with him.

I would be up for testing this “new” system. Not sure why some people are getting USA phobia here or something similar to it. Most of the TF2 world has one system with minor differences, like unlocks. If it promotes faster and more interesting games, and experience from ESEA shows that, we should at least try it out in a cup or even a proper season.

AcidReniX

RaWr ::

Quoted from Hallow

Er… this is a thread asking for our opinions… on how TF2 should work for everyone. What I’ve done here, is express my opinion, on the topic, which is the point of this thread.

What you’re actually saying, is: “It bothers me that Arx seems to respond to the question of the original topic with his own opinion and some reasonable logic to backup and explain why _he_ thinks it’s a good idea for TF2 to work like this”.

The lucky thing for you, is that the majority of the ‘elitest’ members of the community hate me and my opinions so statements such as yours will always have people jump on the bandwagon, like ipz just did. Congrats! How about you come up with some counter arguments to what I’ve said, so the thread can actually benefit rather than trying to get some community rep points.

Failing that, go and do something that actually benefits the competitive community like some of us do.

AcidReniX

RaWr ::

And on topic again. One of my main reasons for arguing against the change, is that I believe that there should be an adequate improvement on the current rule set for us to bother changing what we are used to, and honestly, I just see the American rules as a more confusing ‘alternative’ to our own, with very few actual benefits to the system. It’s not really better, it’s not really worse.

The best advantage for the US rule set would be that both teams get to play as both colours (game more fair right?), but even then, they won’t play the same number of rounds on each colour, or the same amount of time on each colour. I would have suggested that an alternative ruleset would be to play a 30 minute game, where you swap over at 15 minutes, but I feel that might interrupt some key rounds in the middle of the game, and the switch around time just adds extra minutes onto the total match time.

Also, can anyone show me some USA games using their rules, that have a really REALLY exciting ending to the match using their rule set, because I haven’t watched so many US games recently. I do remember there being one that I watched a while ago. It’s just I can remember a number of moments in European games where the match result has literally come down to the last few seconds on the clock, but interested in seeing some US games where the finale is really intense.

Last edited by AcidReniX,

lamefx

just throwing it out there that i would value opinions from people that have both played and specced lots of games in both scenes over those that only really have experience in one.

Last edited by lamefx,

aura

I wonder why we have to switch to American system, If we want to unify the leagues? Why not ask NA first to try out our system?

Also with the implementation of the new system a lot of people from CET+1 and further will suffer as having to play after 23-24:00 is not really enjoyable thus resulting in far more drops and additional barriers for younger players lol (they are still a playerbase tho)

And already mentioned by Arx, the rule set is too complex to understand not only for new people but for experienced players as well. Obviously people that take their time time and read through the rules get an idea, but it’s always simplicity that attracts the new players.

2 halves, 30 min lim each?, first to 4 to win the half? You see, I don’t even know the rules, but with eu it;s pretty clear that there is a simple rule: get the most points in 30 mins and you win.

Last edited by aura,

Kaneco

Quoted from aura

I wonder why we have to switch to American system, If we want to unify the leagues? Why not ask NA first to try out our system?

Exactly… I too want an unified ruleset but there are somethings that bother me on NA ruleset …

Like the switching teams at half time, it becomes overly complicated and as arx said it really doesn’t necessarily make it even for the team because they will be playing less time on 2nd half…

The best ruleset for a globalized tf2 for me would be a mix of the 2.

For example mp_timelimit 40, half time at 20, winlimit 5, and no changing teams at half time

Something like “FIFA” to regulate comp tf2 would work wonders IMO as I said before

aura

Quoted from Kaneco

[…]

For example mp_timelimit 40, half time at 20, winlimit 5, and no changing teams at half time

So

but this is basically eu rule set +10 mins :)

Hallow

P.O.P

Quoted from AcidReniX

Didn’t mean to come off as a douche, sorry if I did. It just seems to me that you say everything you say with this “I told you so”-attitude because you suggested a lot of (partly good from what I can tell) changes that were neglected, and now when people are unhappy with the ruleset you want to tell them it’s too late.

Last edited by Hallow,

Kaneco

Quoted from aura

[…]

but this is basically eu rule set +10 mins :)

No, it’s a mix of the best of both sides in my opinion,

Halftime is great, to discuss strategies or to simply have a quick break, but the timelimit 40 would allow for a more in depth game, while still keeping the winlimit 5… As you guys said most NA games only go up to 40 minutes max, rarely go to 1 hour, and 1 hour map is a bit too much so this was the best of both for me

Leif

I admit not to have watched many NA games, so may be my argument isnt based on a good knowledged of both, although I know the NA rules.

Something I wonder is why NA ruleset should encourage some more aggressive play. Even our ruleset do so. If you’re far better than the enemy team it’s no sense to sit and wait till the clock ends. Let’s assume you are leading 3-0, I would try to push our advantage and make the enemy team to risk at some point because you have both score and time on your side, because they know that when the time ends, they lose if they dont have more points. Turtling last is reasonable, but that’s all, you would that with NA rule as well, but no one wants to hould till the time ends.
Of course it gets boring after a while if you say “Ok we are leading by 2 points, let’s play safe and wait for them to push (which they wont do unless they have some clear man advantage)” and eventually it takes 2.30 for a single push.

TF2 has the same basics of sports like basket or football. It would make no sense that a football match ends when one of 2 teams score 5 goals, but the team with most points after 90 min wins.

And it’s no sense to think that changing the ruleset will change how EU play the game, because it wont happen. I challenge you to see some matches of teams that have played the 6th cup and see how many differences there are from how we play usually. I can bet there are few, because they still wait to get uber, then wait to get pick unless they have a decent uber advantage or try to bomb to make them pop, if the roamer accomplishes then they try to push otherwise they fall back because they lost one.

I’d rather try to improve our current ruleset, which works good for us. Maybe why dont we reduce the timelimit to 20 or lower the winlimit to 4 (which makes less sense than 5, but so we can have faster game)? Or let’s break the game into 2 halves like NA do, 15 each with maybe 1 min overtime on the first half so you dont end the round in the middle, with 5 min break.

Also the NA style raises some problems with scheduling pcws and officials. We should then play 2 maps per week in 2 different days, that means a) even if you dont pcw often, you still have to be present 2 days for official + pcw b) you have less time to practise a single map, just 1 day or 2 depending on how often you play, with the risk of playing only 1 map per day because people cant show up on time on fucking TF2 and most teams play 21 to 23.

Some pros would be instead that you end a bit earlier so it can be better for workers/students that go to high school/people from east EU and we could play more maps per season.

In the end I dont mean that our ruleset is better than theirs, but that it suit better to us, and we should look forward to improve our system instead of copying theirs.
Or just start trying new stuff and play differently.

Also Arx speaks the truth when he says that unifying rules is bullshit because then we should allow all their unlocks, which we dont want to

Last edited by Leif,

Kaneco

Quoted from Leif

Also Arx speaks the truth when he says that unifying rules is bullshit because then we should allow all their unlocks, which we dont want to

wow wow wow, stop right there with the generalizations…

We dont want to, or YOU dont want to?

I for one don’t mind the NA unlock ruleset

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 ... 14 Next »