Forum

Wildcards

Created 24th October 2012 @ 21:05

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 Next »

ilike2spin

RLM

@Bill – even if we’d commented on the match page, we weren’t happy to accept Thursday 100% but didn’t want to rule it out. If we had said we couldn’t the default date might have been at a time when we couldn’t play anyway. Our comment would only have been, we’re not sure. So the default date would still have been put on Thursday.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from ilike2spin

@Slate – First time today I’ve seen a post that I properly appreciate as something we could have done differently. Thanks

Sarcasm, or didn’t read my posts?

ilike2spin

RLM

Just want to clarify, I’m not trying to say the default date was put on an unfair day, or that we were not subjected to the rules correctly, I am saying that the rules are clearly ridiculous and need challenging for the next season. To allow week 6 games to be played in the overrun weekbut not week 7 simply because teams asked before getting a default date is silly.

Oxy

TC.Express

I’ll buy buffalobill a crystal ball for christmas, all sorted.

Snyyppis

RLM

I was suppose to write on the match page. I didn’t because any day set as default would’ve been just as well because we don’t always have prior knowledge on availability.

I could have posted a contradicting comment to CC’s, but the default date would’ve still been set and it would’ve been just as random as we weren’t able to agree on a date in private before the date had been set. I acted under the presumption we could easily extend and reschedule, which unfortunately was not the case.

So yes, as far as the league is concerned this went by the rules, but that doesn’t mean the rules are any good.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Snyyppis

but that doesn’t mean the rules are any good.

These rules have existed for.. well to be honest I don’t actually know, but this isn’t the first season with these rules, at any rate. What I’m trying to get to is, where’s the thread suggesting a better system?

AcidReniX

RaWr ::

Quoted from emb

I wish AcidRenix would just own up to the fact his team neglected to show any schedule attempts and stop blaming the default date system.

I don’t think you understand.

Just make the assumption that we had accepted this match date. We didn’t know at the time we couldn’t make it.

We still knew FOUR days in advance that we couldn’t make this match, yet we can’t do anything about it. Wildcards were changed to be allowed to be used 15 minutes before a game rather than 24 hours. This shows that it’s not uncommon for teams to not know they are able to play even within 24 hours, but we still gave ample notice to our unavailability.

The system doesn’t allow any form of ‘forced rearrangement’ like every other week. We basically have to know a week in advance if we can make it. That means, foreseeing any Internet connection problems, family emergencies, forgotten anniversaries etc…

THIS is the problem with the system. It’s got nothing to do with if we responded on the match page or not to the original request, as our response would have just been an acceptance of the match date that CC proposed, leading to the same situation we are in now.

Snyyppis

RLM

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

These rules have existed for.. well to be honest I don’t actually know, but this isn’t the first season with these rules, at any rate. What I’m trying to get to is, where’s the thread suggesting a better system?

The strict enforcement of the “late games not allowed” -rule along with the extension rule-set were added this season, with the extension rule set even changed mid-season to be unnecessarily complicated and illogical.

To elaborate: if teams can’t find a date which is good for both teams before the default date is set, surely that means more time needs to given to play the game. And yet, this rule does the exact opposite.

edit. The above setting is not related to our game, before anyone assumes that, by the way. It merely points out the flawed nature of the rule in the first place.

Last edited by Snyyppis,

AcidReniX

RaWr ::

The only thing that we could have done, is guessed a date on the match page, let’s say, we picked Wednesday. CC ask for Thursday. We decline the date, and the admins have to choose a default date.

CC can only play Thursday.
DC can play any day but Thursday.

Either way, with no possibility for rescheduling, what date would the admins choose? They are awarding the match to a team, based purely on the default day they pick. This choice would actually determine who gets the 4th place qualifier in the prem division.

What would you actually do in this situation? I’d really like to hear the answer to this one.

Because actually… it’s not far off the current scenario with the DC CC prem game.

If I was on the admin team, I’d start proposing dates for the next week, asking both teams if they can make Monday? (yes or no), Tuesday? Wednesday?, Thursday? Sunday?

If the teams could not match their answers on any of those days, I’d give the choice to the team that was most available on those days. For example, Team A says they can make Monday, Wednesday and Sunday, but Team B says they can only make Tuesday and Thursday.

Team A would get the choice of date in the following week, due to having more availability. Otherwise, if the teams both said ‘yes’ to one of the days of the week, that is when the match would be played.

In the event of a tie (where both teams suggest the same number of days they can play, but different days), I’d have a set rule to play on the first day of the week that somebody said ‘yes’ to.

In the event that both teams were fully unavailable over the following week, I would pick a random date from a draw, and let the teams scramble to see what players they can get for the win.

If the event that both teams do not show up for the game, I’d aware 0 points to both teams and nullify the match.

That is how I would handle it. The fairest approach I could think of. I know it’s nothing like the current system… that’s for sure.

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

Arx just pretty much described how the default dates are currently set.

To answer your question: If Team A could have played any day but Thursday and posted that on the match page but Team B could have only played on Thursday, the team with the more availability (Team A, in this case) would have been favoured, i.e. the default date would probably have been Sunday, since that is usually the first option.

Quoted from AcidReniX

What would you actually do in this situation? I’d really like to hear the answer to this one.

If it’s as black and white as you said (dc can play 6 days, cc// only 1 day), we’d put a default date that works for the team that plays 6 days.

Because actually… it’s not far off the current scenario with the DC CC prem game.

Quoted from AcidReniX

If I was on the admin team, I’d start proposing dates for the next week, asking both teams if they can make Monday? (yes or no), Tuesday? Wednesday?, Thursday? Sunday?

Why? It’s up to the teams to schedule, not you. Your job is to assign a default date based on what availability has been posted if no date has been agreed upon by the end of the scheduling deadline to ensure there is at least room to get a defaultwin if one of the teams hasn’t put any effort into scheduling.

They need to post their availability if they want the defaultdate to suit them.

Oxy

TC.Express

Quoted from AcidReniX

Sorry but this is literally one of the most stupid things I have ever read on ETF2L.

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Every match of the season should be played under as equal conditions as possible, scheduling-wise. Every match in the season can be wildcarded to be played later, why not the last match?

I think a lot of unnecessary things are being said/suggested in this topic. Just make all matches wildcardable, including the season’s last match. That’s what the catch-up week should be for.

Teams can always run into unexpected troubles. That’s what wildcards are for. Why is the last matchweek a case of “well bad luck, this time you cant use your wildcard to move the game up a week”?

Make last match week wildcardable to the catch-up week and everything’s fine and dandy. (and maybe allow 3 mercs in the rosters-locked period like I suggested last season?)[/i]

Spike Himself

TC

Oxy is wrong, I have seen (and posted!) much worse things. But the point stands :x

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

Quoted from skeej

Every match of the season should be played under as equal conditions as possible, scheduling-wise. Every match in the season can be wildcarded to be played later, why not the last match

The last mach can not be scheduled under the same conditions because we can not allow a potential delay of 4 weeks (= 2 wildcards) for a week 7 match (unless the playoff teams do not mind a 4 week long break and playing over the christmas holidays)

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 Next »