Forum

Agree/Disagree voting to recruitment posts

Created 1st December 2011 @ 21:45

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2

RaCio

GoT²

Quoted from Skyride

[…]
You have 5 players, you are looking for a new soldier. You decide to trial a player. That player should be trying his best to give a good impression, not ass licky, just show you himself at his best. When you decide to take him on as an official player, you are now all equal. Nobody is really doing each other a favour simply by being a team together, you’ve all just mutually decided that it’s something you enjoy.

But isn’t this already the case?

A lot of rage on the recruitment section seems to come from the fear that a player who is thought to be div3 skill might actually be a nice guy to play with, and thus might get a spot in a div2 team.

Quoted from Skyride

[…]

This is a fair point, but I’m sure a better model could be devised than simply a reddit-esque system.

Well, you could just allow +1 votes and not -1 votes. But I’m not sure how useful that would be.

freshmeatt

‹Con›

Once you understand the div rating in the recruitment section is an indicator of the desired division a player wants to play in, not exactly which division he is capable of playing in, or an indicator of player’s skill in any way, the problem is solved. If player’s known in the community, you don’t have to be bothered by random comments, it’s either someone you’ve played with or someone you’ve heard unbiased opinions about (‘omg he’s shit/omg he hacks’ in enormous numbers). Otherwise, if the skill level’s low, you’d probably be searching blindly anyway; if it’s high, the chances of him keeping up with the pace in your team are slim, so there’s another of your issues solved.

Also, if you stop treating rec posts as guest books, you stop being bothered by someone having more comments than you do.

There’s no need for such mean of rating a player, it will, and that’s for certain, be abused one way or the other. We already have comments, which are usually filled with best wishes from fanboys and such, not allowing anyone to get a proper first impression of the player without possibly wasting a night or two of your precious life on trialing said person.

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

The recruitment section is a 2 way street – You can as a player search for a team, or as a team search for a player.
The whole “Recruitment Police” thing is just for shits and gigs has just highlighted the way people look for a team when there really is nothing wrong with the process. You only need to take 2 minutes to check the comments, to see if they are from reliable sources, to check their clan history, and decide weather it maybe worth trailing them.
Worst thing that can happen is you play a map with a dribbler and kindly reject him, thats the way recruitment will always go. It may be that he has the right skill as the “police” said he would, but turns out hes a loud mouth cunt and you reject him anyway :]. The system works fine as it is.

The only people who cry about the recruitment forums are kiddies looking at others and thinking “omg im better than him i beat him on MGE and he think hes division 4? This makes me jealous i’ll call the skill police”. Let people over rate themselves they will be found out pretty quickly, most people like that take the longest to find a team anyway. They’ll end up joining a Deek or Dummy style team that will fold every 5 minutes :].

Last edited by Tapley ❤,

Dummy

Quoted from Tapley ❤

They’ll end up joining a Deek or Dummy style team that will fold every 5 minutes :].

gee, thanks for comparing me to deek
glad to know I created a dozen teams in my time in tf2, the more you know

Skyride

DUCS

Quoted from RaCio

But isn’t this already the case?

Technically yes, but it’s not how a lot of players looking for teams see it necessarily. Then again, maybe I’m just so hyper-sensitive to the way people type on the internet that I’m picking up on something that isn’t there.

Well, you could just allow +1 votes and not -1 votes. But I’m not sure how useful that would be.

I think a good way to do it might be to just allow + and – votes, and then show them both seperately.

i.e. Skyride – +4/-932

Last edited by Skyride,

freshmeatt

‹Con›

Quoted from Skyride

I think a good way to do it might be to just allow + and – votes, and then show them both seperately.

i.e. Skyride – +4/-932

+1

herpderp

DAKKA

Quoted from Skyride

i.e. Skyride – +4/-932

This still leaves it open to abuse. Perhaps as a barrier to people spamming out + and – votes, require a comment before you are allowed to cast a +/- vote. Also encourages people to write down a reason behind their vote (I know it’s not a very strong encouragement but still). That way it’s alot easier to see wether someone is just being trolled or wether the rating atleast has some basis in experience with said person/team through the content of the comment.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2