Forum

Legitimate question

Created 6th October 2011 @ 16:43

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 7 Next »

Skyride

DUCS

+1 to everything sylosin and faint have said.

Also a few OT posts doesn’t mean “derailed”. Its just a reminder there are spastics on the internet.

I’m quite an out spoken person in general, online and irl, and even I feel uncomfortable posting on these forums quite often these days. I’m sure a huge load of people feel exactly the same. We can pretend be fair and treat everyone as equal, but honestly some people just know know what they’re talking about more than others (a prem scout talking about how to scout obviously has a better idea than a div5 player), and I feel that’s a fact entirely neglected on this forum over the last year or so.

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

Quoted from Sylosin

[…]

No I don’t know or ‘realise’ which admins do what roles, and which ones argue for what. How on earth would I know, given that I have no way of seeing your discussions?

On the surface, all we (the non-admins) see is you, Ashkan. We see you doing all the locking, and listing “A, B and C get 2-day bans, D and E get 1-week bans, and F gets a 1-month ban because he was banned before”. Other people react to this negatively, and you give a speech about herp they were naughty, derp they were banned before, herp if you want to complain go complain in IRC etc etc etc.

If you want people to stop picking on you, then maybe you should be in the background like the other admins are, and one of them should be the PR.

Our forum moderation works as follows:
1) Someone reports offensive content or an admin spots offensive content on the forums.
2) The admin spotting the offensive content or taking the admin request creates a thread in our internal forum administration thread including a quote, the userlink and an explanation.
3) All other admins have the chance to discuss the ban on the forum.
4) If enough admins are in favour of a ban, the ban is implemented. Not all admins can hand out forum bans. At the moment only the head admins (RaCio, Snowie and Crasp) and ashkan and myself can forum ban users.
If you want to question your ban or think it is unjust the best way to complain is on IRC, not on the forums. We keep record of all bans and all quotes that lead to bans so feel free to ask for the exact reason.
I hope I could bring some clarity why you frequently see ashkan handing out forum bans but not Netsky or baerbel.

I do not understand why you complain about ashkan explaining the length and the reason of the forum bans. In my opinion, the more transparency there is, the better.
If you have any ideas how to improve the forum ban system at ETF2L, let us know. I am not saying this is perfect!

Sketch

MM

At one point I used to try and add constructively to arguments. Sometimes we would all have a nice discussion and I felt proud that my suggestions and comments were taken into consideration in a sensible adult fashion.

Since I started trolling things have got “alot” better.

sometimes I don’t even care if its a good troll. i just know that now my family is safe. and

ok i totally forgot where i was going with this but something to do with 8 second abs and how it changes my life. /failed troll

Sylosin

MEAT
evCon.

Quoted from CanFo

I do not understand why you complain about ashkan explaining the length and the reason of the forum bans. In my opinion, the more transparency there is, the better.
If you have any ideas how to improve the forum ban system at ETF2L, let us know. I am not saying this is perfect!

Listing who gets what bans isn’t very productive. Instead of only affecting those banned, everyone else sees it and thinks “Wow, that was drastic”, and then they post about it. That is usually what derails threads and starts arguments, not the actual stuff that people get banned for. Transparency and visible moderation are good, but not publishing the exact punishments – those should be taken up between the affected user and the admins and not made public for everyone to see and get riled up about. Just my opinion. Maybe if this forum had a PM system, warnings and reasons for bans could be explained to the specific users more privately

Bassie

epx^
Üb

Admins are admins, they do what they think is right. Get over it. Don’t like it? Go cry to yourself in the toilet…

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Damn it Ashkan we need to write the Highlander promotion and you’re administrating the forum!

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

Quoted from Sylosin

[…]

Listing who gets what bans isn’t very productive. Instead of only affecting those banned, everyone else sees it and thinks “Wow, that was drastic”, and then they post about it. That is usually what derails threads and starts arguments, not the actual stuff that people get banned for. Transparency and visible moderation are good, but not publishing the exact punishments – those should be taken up between the affected user and the admins and not made public for everyone to see and get riled up about. Just my opinion. Maybe if this forum had a PM system, warnings and reasons for bans could be explained to the specific users more privately

So you would rather prefer a somewhat “silent” ban system where the admin only posts “x is banned, contact an admin on IRC to get your ban length”? (Sure, a PM system would be handy in this case but I can not think of any other situation where anyone would benefit from a PM system)

Sylosin

MEAT
evCon.

How about sending the banned user their warning/reason/ban length by email? Or a notification in WordPress like with scheduling proposals or something like that?

dude im baked

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

Quoted from Sylosin

How about sending the banned user their warning/reason/ban length by email? Or a notification in WordPress like with scheduling proposals or something like that?

Would need some coding work and is therefore unlikely to be added soon.
Manual emails would be possible but only the head admins can see a user’s email address which would slow the process down a bit.

dodgydogman

Panda

Inb4 Thread getting locked for discussing admins or something equally stupid.

Seriously it feels like the instant someone says something off topic theres this insane chance for the thread being locked.

Sometimes people start talking about different things. I understand that stopping people flaming other people is something that stops the tf2 community turning into the cs community but sometimes people are simply having arguments which is something that shouldnt be locked.

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

In my opinion arguments should be solved via IRC or steam, not in a forum thread with a completely different topic.

FAINTAYDAYDAYDAYDAYD

read ‘arguements’ as ‘discussions’ and it shouldnt be locked

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

My opinion still stands. If you want to discuss a different topic than the thread starter, create a new thread :)

FAINTAYDAYDAYDAYDAYD

obviously completely different topics should be in a different thread, but dont lock every thread that does this, just say it should be a new thread and move on

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 7 Next »