Legitimate question

Created 6th October 2011 @ 16:43

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 7 Next »

Squeak

Why was Steve Jobs thread locked

Morphine

(Cat Enthusiast)
一一═デ︻

I was wondering about this too. It’s not religious or political, is it?

T0m

(ETF2L Donator)

because when someone who offers another legitimate question the thread obviously has to be locked.

Si^

T2P
[PG]

┈┈┈┈┈◢◤┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈
┈┈◢▇▇▇▇▇◣┈┈┈┈┈┈
┈┈▇▇▇▇▇◤┈┈THANK┈┈
┈┈▇▇▇▇▇┈┈┈┈YOU┈┈
┈┈◥▇▇▇▇◣┈┈┈STEVE┈
┈┈┈◥▇◤◥▇◤┈┈┈┈┈┈

Sylosin

MEAT
evCon.

Because a certain administrator has a god complex

d2m

vertex »
derptex9

It seemed like there was a bit of an argument on there about some people’s definitions of rude/insulting/bannable posts. It is easier for an admin to lock a thread than to be wrong…

I think Steve Jobs deserved a bit more respect than a lot of small-minded people showed. However with youth, comes a lack of understanding of business and a will to be “cool” in front of one’s peers.

I hope those of you that just slag off visionaries and people who have contributed a lot to the world, die in fires and achieve nothing. Cocks.

– Sent from my iPad

Nuck

TIDS
TSGHUH

It´s absurd and ridiculous, and yet just another topping on the cake of ETF2L´s admins behaviour and smugness.
Now give me my warning/ 1-day-ban.

Squeak

In all honesty; to people like hofven (who are attempting to act “cool” as D2M said but really people wonder if they’ve ever had friends) should gtfo and listen to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0la5DBtOVNI

But yeah. Just delete and ban not rule like dictatorsss

rtan

-9w-

Quoted from d2m

It seemed like there was a bit of an argument on there about some people’s definitions of rude/insulting/bannable posts. It is easier for an admin to lock a thread than to be wrong…

I think Steve Jobs deserved a bit more respect than a lot of small-minded people showed. However with youth, comes a lack of understanding of business and a will to be “cool” in front of one’s peers.

I hope those of you that just slag off visionaries and people who have contributed a lot to the world, die in fires and achieve nothing. Cocks.

– Sent from my iPad

wow, just wow.

no wonder you were a shit head admin xD

ashkan

Quoted from Squeak

Why was Steve Jobs thread locked

It derailed.
Feel free to start off fresh in a new thread if you wish to.
The option would be to delete all the off-topic posts in the existing thread and unlock it, but then admins get accused of being nazis and trying to hide their mistake.

Quoted from T0m

because when someone who offers another legitimate question the thread obviously has to be locked.

That sounds like admin abuse, in which case you should report it to a head admin (Snowie, RaCio or Crasp). However, since people tend to protect their own kind, I would also advise you write an exposé at a site that is out of their control, such as vanillatf2.org.

Quoted from Sylosin

Because a certain administrator has a god complex

If you feel that a certain admin’s duties are affected by his psychological issues, I suggest that you contact a head admin and present your psychological evaluation of the admin in question. The head admin can then choose whether to ignore the issue, get the admin to seek professional help or kick him off the admin team. Naturally, option 2 is hard if the admin does suffer from “God complex”.

Quoted from d2m

It is easier for an admin to lock a thread than to be wrong…

There is always room for community members to constructively argue on the forums, as long as it is in the correct place and unrelated to religion or politics. If a specific admin is stubborn and won’t admit his mistakes, that does not mean that the rest of the admin team won’t realize what side is making the most sense and what the most fair ruling would be. Therefore, I would advise everyone to keep fighting and arguing (constructively) as long as you are convinced of being right. It will pay off in the end. In worst case, the same mistake will not be as likely to happen next time.

Quoted from Nuck

It´s absurd and ridiculous, and yet just another topping on the cake of ETF2L´s admins behaviour and smugness.

Please report inappropriate admin behaviour to the head admins, so that they can have a talk with the admins in question and help improve their behaviour.

Now give me my warning/ 1-day-ban.

You haven’t broken any rules as far as I know.

Quoted from Squeak

Just delete and ban not rule like dictatorsss

Hmm, I’m not convinced that would be the best solution. It sounds a bit contradictory to me.

I mean, is it not the mark of a dictator that he punishes people and erases their opinions without (publically) giving a reason for it (the more secret, the better)? I feel that what the admins have been doing is pretty much the opposite: Clearly stating when and why a ban is given, and having an open dialogue with any community member asking. Could you please elaborate on why you perceive the admins as dictators?

Sylosin

MEAT
evCon.

Quoted from ashkan

If you feel that a certain admin’s duties are affected by his psychological issues, I suggest that you contact a head admin and present your psychological evaluation of the admin in question. The head admin can then choose whether to ignore the issue, get the admin to seek professional help or kick him off the admin team. Naturally, option 2 is hard if the admin does suffer from “God complex”.

I don’t want anyone kicked off the admin team. I would like you to stop throwing 1-day and 2-day bans around like confetti. I also would like you to stop churning out these repetitive, sanctimonious replies to the criticism you receive all the time, and start listening to what people are asking: go easy on the moderation.

ashkan

Quoted from Sylosin

[…]

I don’t want anyone kicked off the admin team. I want you to stop throwing 1-day and 2-day bans around like confetti. I also want you to stop churning out these repetitive, sanctimonious replies to the criticism you receive all the time, and start listening to what people are asking: go easy on the moderation.

You do realize that there are several different admins that report rule-breaks and decide what the punishment will be? Not all of them have the ability to actually implement the ban, so I’m usually the one to do so and convey the reason for the ban.

You also realize that I’m usually more lenient and argue for shorter punishments?

So if that is the criticism, I don’t see why it would be directed towards me or why I should take it personally.

I should also point out that forum moderators get criticized and praised no matter how lenient or strict they are. People have different ideas of how tough our moderation should be, but in the end, the admins just follow the rules that all the members have hopefully read through.

Sylosin

MEAT
evCon.

Quoted from ashkan

You do realize that […] Not all of them have the ability to actually implement the ban, so I’m usually the one to do so and convey the reason for the ban.

You also realize that I’m usually more lenient and argue for shorter punishments?

So if that is the criticism, I don’t see why it would be directed towards me or why I should take it personally.

No I don’t know or ‘realise’ which admins do what roles, and which ones argue for what. How on earth would I know, given that I have no way of seeing your discussions?

On the surface, all we (the non-admins) see is you, Ashkan. We see you doing all the locking, and listing “A, B and C get 2-day bans, D and E get 1-week bans, and F gets a 1-month ban because he was banned before”. Other people react to this negatively, and you give a speech about herp they were naughty, derp they were banned before, herp if you want to complain go complain in IRC etc etc etc.

If you want people to stop picking on you, then maybe you should be in the background like the other admins are, and one of them should be the PR.

FAINTAYDAYDAYDAYDAYD

I’m just waiting for squeak to get banned because of this thread tbh.

and I swear i was given a 1 week ban for first offence….just throwing that out there…

and in before im banned for 2 weeks or something now…

edit: and +1 to above

freshmeatt

‹Con›

If you won’t stop being ridiculous, it’s obvious that That Guy With The God Complex will not go easy on you. One day bans from forums are nothing extraordinary and should be considered warnings before one tries to be a dick, douchebag, illiterate idiot or a common retard on this public forum again. Fantomen didn’t get it and doesn’t give a shit, therefore his vulgar excesses are not welcome here anymore.

You could actually think about it for at least a minute; there’s a netiquette everyone should follow in the Internet and whoever actively denies the existence of it is going to be punished.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 7 Next »