Forum

ati vs nvida

Created 21st March 2013 @ 23:12

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »

Hippo

Low end to mid end graphic cards, Ati is mostly the superior choice. On the high end, its about the same. You can always search for specific models about the same price and compare them to each other via google.

Last edited by Hippo,

Crasp

(Legend)
BACΩN |
бекон

Not sure if it’s any good (haven’t tried it myself) but http://gpuboss.com/

Cookeh

At the moment, ATi is regarded as the market leader in gfx cards. Be it entry level, with their Trinity APUs, or high end, with their ARES II cards.

Only reason to choose nVidia over ATi atm is if you’re a fanboy or you’re using software that can use CUDA to accelerate rendering.

AnAkkk

If you want good performance on Linux you’d not take ATI, I guess.

Sketch

MM

Quoted from Cookeh

At the moment, ATi is regarded as the market leader in gfx cards. Be it entry level, with their Trinity APUs, or high end, with their ARES II cards.

Only reason to choose nVidia over ATi atm is if you’re a fanboy or you’re using software that can use CUDA to accelerate rendering.

That’s not true at all cookeh. Ati and nvidia are currently pound for pound equal in just about every market. And the markets where one product pulls ahead are generally just overclocked marketing pieces.

Either card you buy from ati or nvidia at the moment in any given price bracket should give you no cause for concern as to which brand is better. Differences are miniscule it has never been closer. Although if heat and size is an issue for a mid/ high end card I would suggest an nvidia 670 short PCB version and small heat sink over a 7950 / 7870 ( not sure which is the equivalent) purely based on size

Just wondering where everyone gets their misconceptions about each generation of graphics cards. But in this one at initially pulled way ahead in power and tech and nvidia then caught up and matches performance but beats them on size and heat with anything under a 670. But like I said performance these days isn’t even a factor to consider as they are so close.

Last edited by Sketch,

Cookeh

Quoted from Sketch

[…]

That’s not true at all cookeh. Ati and nvidia are currently pound for pound equal in just about every market. And the markets where one product pulls ahead are generally just overclocked marketing pieces.

Either card you buy from ati or nvidia at the moment in any given price bracket should give you no cause for concern as to which brand is better. Differences are miniscule it has never been closer. Although if heat and size is an issue for a mid/ high end card I would suggest an nvidia 670 short PCB version and small heat sink over a 7950 / 7870 ( not sure which is the equivalent) purely based on size

Just wondering where everyone gets their misconceptions about each generation of graphics cards. But in this one at initially pulled way ahead in power and tech and nvidia then caught up and matches performance but beats them on size and heat with anything under a 670. But like I said performance these days isn’t even a factor to consider as they are so close.

Sorry, but it is correct. ATi is the 2nd largest market share holder for discrete graphics cards, with 20% of the market, as opposed to nVidias 17%, as shown by research conducted by JPR. nVidia has seen a 15% decrease in quarter to quarter discrete gfx card sales, despite the launch of its TITAN flagship

In the dedicated gfx card sector ATi has been consistently gaining market share from nVidia, who have been struggling to maintain their footing. ATi is frequently beating them to releases, and the driver issues that plagued them years ago have now been reversed and they are widely acknowledged to have better driver support than nVidia at this moment in time.

As the “differences are miniscule” in performance, and ATi has more aggressive pricing, Im not entirely sure what your argument here is, tbh :S
If, for example, we take a high-midrange card, you can get a HD7870 for £180 now, with pre-overclocked custom cooler designs available for £190 upwards. That puts it in line with a GTX660, again starting at around £180 (not a Ti version, as those start at around £220).
Several benchmark comparisons can be seen below, at varying qualities and resolutions. As you can see ATi takes most of tests, and are capable of being overclocked much further than the nVidia cards due to their widely known heat ‘issues’.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/548?vs=660

The GTX670 you’re suggesting is a minimum £300 gfx card, hardly comparable to the £180 and £240 HD7870/7950 you were comparing them to. Or perhaps it is, based on the following benchmarks, again showing a HD7950 taking several or only losing out by 1-2% in the majority of comparisons – and its a card thats £60 cheaper!
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/550?vs=598

When you compare the GTX670 to its price rival, the HD7970, you can see a clear lead take shape:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/508?vs=598

In this case Sketch, it is not everyone that has misconceptions, seemingly just you :p <3

tl;dr Ignore Sketch, cos he's misinformed. ATi are the best choice at every price point atm.

Last edited by Cookeh,

zen1th

PRXSM
LEGO

(fight.. fight.. fight…)

Cookeh

Quoted from zen1th

(fight.. fight.. fight…)

MY E-PEEN IS BIGGER THAN YOURS, AND MY DADDY WOULD BEAT UP YOUR DADDY…

etc? :p

emb

(Legend)
ciortai

Drivers also factor into a card’s value. Because of drivers alone, ATI is not a good choice for gaming on Linux, and many (if not most) AAA titles have performance issues with ATI cards on release, becoming playable weeks, if not months later.

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

What emb said. It’s not about raw gpu power, it’s about driver optimalisation and all-round compatibility.

In that field, Nvidia has a long history of trumping ATI/AMD. Too many game releases have been plagued with performance issues or even flat out bugs and crashes.

I think for gaming, you will gain an overall slight advantage in terms of performance per currency when you go with Nvidia in general (in the “low to upper midrange” sector at least, 125-300 euros).

Setsul

Quoted from audi1234

im buying new pc
witch one is better for tf2

According to benchmarks nvidia has better performance in source engine games than ati.

nvidia and ati have different price ranges, ati starts lower, nvidia goes higher, both in price and performance. The performance for the same price is pretty much even, but it depends mostly on the game engine. Generally ati should have better performance in a lot of games, nvidia is better for some other engines e.g. the source engine -> tf2.

Hello fanboys, let´s flame. :-) <-safety smilie

Cookeh

Quoted from skeej

I think for gaming, you will gain an overall slight advantage in terms of performance per currency when you go with Nvidia in general (in the “low to upper midrange” sector at least, 125-300 euros).

Nearly every benchmark existing disagrees with that statement :p

The driver statementa however, is correct, although it is worth noting ATis drivers have improved substantially and they have better support atm in terms of driver release. As to whom has the better drivers? No idea, purely subjective imo.

AnimaL

7970? glhf with microstuttering nerds…

george

Quoted from emb

Drivers also factor into a card’s value. Because of drivers alone, ATI is not a good choice for gaming on Linux, and many (if not most) AAA titles have performance issues with ATI cards on release, becoming playable weeks, if not months later.

Honestly who the fuck plays games on Linux.. The thing you said about drivers might be true if you would have said it like a year ago.

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Quoted from Cookeh

[…]

Nearly every benchmark existing disagrees with that statement :p

Yeah sorry, I was too hasty with that conclusion… In the lower midrange, AMD definitely seems to be a better choice right now.

Quoted from AnimaL

7970? glhf with microstuttering nerds…

So true… Until that shit is fixed, single-gpu ftw.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »