Forum

FoV Client Plugin Changer

Created 21st December 2011 @ 00:44

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 6 7 8 ... 12 Next »

longas

I say that I hope Valve do something to avoid it because with that plugin you can use any value. If Valve decides to increase the allowed FOV from 90 to 120 I wouldn’t mind.

You can have binds to change your FOV depending on the situation. If you are demo and you are defending/holding some area, you can put some traps in all the entrances, change the fov to 160 and hf.

SnowiE

-9w-
-9m-

I never understood why valve didn’t fix the ability to change fov via resolution, the two should be entirely seperate otherwise there was no point having a fov command in the first place.

Increased fov is a definite advantage over the standard fov, it might be down to personal preference how high you go, but the minor adjustments in aiming are the equivalent to changing sensitivity, it only takes a short while to get used to it. The perceived increase in speed was always a bonus too. As a soldier I now feel faster even though I’m not and I can keep watch on multiple entrances to points. It’s harder for people to catch me out from the sides and it’s easier to hit scouts jumping around in my face. Assuming it’s not fixed at some point, I’ll be using this as it feels like a trip down memory lane.

dragonslayernick

I made sure I was updated to the latest version and I still have the problem with the fov changing to default

longas

Oh, also you can see through walls with a high fov. This is just one example in CSS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkv7imlV8EY

wrock

vier

Quoted from longas

Oh, also you can see through walls with a high fov. This is just one example in CSS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkv7imlV8EY

:O Does this actually really work in tf2? would be awful :/

Last edited by wrock,

AnAkkk

Quoted from wrock

[…]

:O Does this actually really work in tf2? would be awful :/

That has always been possible on any Source Engine games. I’ve reported it to Valve many times, they didn’t care. Some people already use this trick with the aspect ratio.

Last edited by AnAkkk,

wrock

vier

Quoted from AnAkkk

[…]

That has always been possible on any Source Engine games. I’ve reported it to Valve many times, they didn’t care. Some people already use this trick with the aspect ratio.

:/

AnAkkk

If you got a server you can still use DBlocker Anti-Wallhack to make this ineffective, though.

inb4 notopensource

Last edited by AnAkkk,

wrock

vier

Quoted from AnAkkk

If you got a server you can still use DBlocker Anti-Wallhack to make this ineffective, though.

inb4 notopensource

this also blocks the fov plugin right?

is it possible to limit the fov server side?

AnAkkk

No, that doesn’t block the FoV plugin. It might be possible to block it, but it would probably be possible to get around that quite easily.

wrock

vier

Quoted from AnAkkk

No, that doesn’t block the FoV plugin.

nice :D thx

Tack

kp/

This is amazing, thanks :D

Tehgnarr

is good!

this. is. a. gamechanger.

lwf

[α]

You do realize this hack is incompatible with VAC, right?

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Quoted from IPZIE

cant i just get the same effects while changing my aspect racio like skeej already did for ages… so this all has been done 100 times and now that its actually easier and not looking as shit people are like ( Q_Q )

edit: hahahahahahhahahahah sportsmanship,wow. good point

To go even further, the “unfairness” always existed by default, regardless of any eyefinity or windowed widescreen solutions. 5:4 monitors have a disadvantage over 4:3 monitors, those in turn have a disadvantage over 16:10 monitors, and 16:9 monitors have even wider fov.

MInd speaks the truth here, a wider fov is not an automatic absolute advantage. Btw I think I said something wrong in my first post in this topic. I said that fov_desired dictates vertical fov. After some quick research though, it seems that it dictates horizontal fov at an aspect ratio of 4:3, which means we all played with a vertical fov of 73.74 degrees (thanks Jaeger). So this is also a general warning, don’t just carry over your fov settings from QL as the fov setting might be applied differently in that game.

Longas, even without this plugin you can change fov_desired on the fly as far as I know. So I don’t see a problem here. You’d be fine with Valve unlocking fov officially, even though effectively there would be no difference between these implementations? (unless of course you meant: Valve should allow higher fovs and disable changing fov_desired on the fly)

lwf: It is not incompatible with VAC. VAC works on a blacklist-type basis, so VAC will only kick in if Valve decides that this plugin is a hack. The question is, IF Valve decides this, will the VAC measures also work retroactively? (anyone who used this plugin in the past is fucked?). The odds that Valve will do this are small though. First of all it would be hypocritical (because they’re know that wider AR = wider FOV) and second of all, apparently there are loads of unsigned plugins out there (with actual absolute unfair advantages) that never got banned.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 6 7 8 ... 12 Next »