TF2 AutoDemo | A program for auto-saving game demos

Created 20th July 2009 @ 14:45

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 5 Next »

alfa

Nice idea mate

Cycles

lolwow

@Cycles
Uploading the program + source code to SourceForge and Google Code is exactly what I’m planning as soon as the program passes beta stage.

Excellent to hear :)

saiboat

tons of respect for coding this, awesome fucking work dude :o

Qun

GoT<3

But, this is not really handy for officials, because you can’t record a full match with this program on.

ambra

brilliant idea
keep up the patching

KOVACS

Cool, gonna try this out.

When you exit the game, you’ll see the program now lists all the names of the demos you recorded using it, and also states for each demo what class you played and how many kills (actually kills+destructions) you had in the demo.

SICK!!!

One feature I’d like to request is some sort of command line to define how the demo’s are named. For example if you put [name][map][class][date] it would make it so all demos followed this format, i.e. my first demo could be

KOVACS_Badlands_Scout_20thJuly

Ability to add and define your own custom tags would be even better, i.e. add an [ETF2L] tag or [pickup] tag to the list so a player can distinguish between demo’s from official matches and pickups.

Good effort.

DDgeva

Cool, gonna try this out.

When you exit the game, you’ll see the program now lists all the names of the demos you recorded using it, and also states for each demo what class you played and how many kills (actually kills+destructions) you had in the demo.

SICK!!!

One feature I’d like to request is some sort of command line to define how the demo’s are named. For example if you put [name][map][class][date] it would make it so all demos followed this format, i.e. my first demo could be

KOVACS_Badlands_Scout_20thJuly

Ability to add and define your own custom tags would be even better, i.e. add an [ETF2L] tag or [pickup] tag to the list so a player can distinguish between demo’s from official matches and pickups.

Good effort.

Your idea definitely sounds good, but I’m not sure if it’s worth the effort. I’m pretty sure everyone can agree on some reasonable naming format, like class-date-time..
I don’t think the name is necessary. Also, the program has no way to tell what map you’re playing on.

Regrading improvements on the auto-naming of demos, I thought about adding a score to each demo.. the program will grade demos according to the number of kills, and the time it took between each two kills (shorter time between kills=better score)
So the program will identify multi-kills and big frags according to the short time between kills, and then it can grade the demo according to these factors.
What do you think about this idea, everyone? will it be helpful?

Personally, I just use the rename command to give my demos good, understandable names.

@ ViQun
I’d recommend competitive to pause the program (simply press ‘O’) as soon as your match starts, so you can record it normally using the console.
For any type of play where you don’t have to record the entire match as a POV demo I’m sure the program will be useful.

Thanks for the support guys.
Geva.

M0re

how to actually open that AutoDemo.jar :D? I have nokia pc suite and music managers installed so it assumes .jar file is some nokia installer file and tries to open it with nokias programs. and dunno how to default it (not gonna uninstall my nokia stuff). It worked before i rebooted my pc and then nokia stuff kind of got control of that .jar file. already missed it when i played couple games without it 8(

for science

Couldn’t you just remove the file association in windows? (jar’s open with zip progs don’t they)

M0re

yea well program doesnt quite start if i do that.

apy

instead of it recording a new demo everytime you die, you should just make it autorecord the entire match until mapchange/server disconnect

DDgeva

how to actually open that AutoDemo.jar :D? I have nokia pc suite and music managers installed so it assumes .jar file is some nokia installer file and tries to open it with nokias programs. and dunno how to default it (not gonna uninstall my nokia stuff). It worked before i rebooted my pc and then nokia stuff kind of got control of that .jar file. already missed it when i played couple games without it 8(

Assuming you downloaded JRE, right click on AutoDemo.jar and go to “Open With..”.
There should be an option with “Java” in it’s name.. that’s the one you’re looking for.

If you’re still having trouble, tell me and I’ll create a .bat file that will let you run the program.

instead of it recording a new demo everytime you die, you should just make it autorecord the entire match until mapchange/server disconnect

Why would you want that? that’s exactly what writing “record DemoName” in the console does.

M0re

i don’t have that java in there, (and yes i dl and installed that JRE). that bat file would be great! :)

here’s pic how it opens from console (also path for you if you need something with that bat) http://more.pp.fi/autodemo/autodemo.jpg

DDgeva

i don’t have that java in there, (and yes i dl and installed that JRE). that bat file would be great! :)

here’s pic how it opens from console (also path for you if you need something with that bat) http://more.pp.fi/autodemo/autodemo.jpg

I created a batch file for you and others to use :)
It will be included in the next release.

In the meanwhile, you can create it for yourself:
1. Create a new .txt file in the program’s directory (where you installed it).
2.Open the created file and paste this line of code:

start javaw -jar AutoDemo.jar

Save the file and close it.

3.Rename the file to “something.bat”, and create a shortcut to it on your desktop.

Enjoy,
Geva.

P.S, @Everyone
Are there any other big forums I should post this program on?
Besides this forum and the Steam forums.

M0re

I created a batch file for you and others to use :)
It will be included in the next release.

thanks

P.S, @Everyone
Are there any other big forums I should post this program on?
Besides this forum and the Steam forums.

NA players might be intrested @ http://www.gotfrag.com/tf2/home/

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 5 Next »