Forum

FogsServers.com - New Game Server Provider (Amsterdam)

Created 11th April 2013 @ 18:35

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 4 Next »

Fog

Hey guys, you guys may know me from the North American Team Fortress 2 scene as an active Administrator of #tf2.pug.na, the owner and operator of the TeamFortress.TV DM and Ammomod servers, as well as former VanillaTF2 writer and current ESEA writer for ESEA Intermediate. Today, after weeks of hard work, I am finally proud to announce my next venture into the TF2 community! I present to you, Fog’s Servers!

http://www.fogsservers.com

Right now, I only have the Amsterdam/Netherlands location available to start, but with enough interest I could potentially increase my locations to Germany or France.

I currently offer anywhere from 8-20 slot servers for Team Fortress 2 starting from €6 for 8 slots, with 14 slot servers at €12. Full pricing can be found at the website.

Default features of the servers include:
– SourceTV (Recording only)
– Sourcemod/Metamod pre-installed
– SOAP DM/MGEMod pre-installed
– All current S14 6v6/S4 Highlander maps and configurations pre-installed
– FTP access
– Personal Fast Downloads for Maps
– TCAdmin2 Control Panel

With the launch of FogsServers.com, I have also brought over my TeamFortress.TV DM Server to the EU, with the S14 whitelist and 2 sticky limit for Demoman. You can check out the server here: 95.211.178.230:27015

Come check it out!

Last edited by Fog,

Arie

(serveme.tf)
FB
[FB]

Cool! I’m a little bit surprised you’re just offering Amsterdam-based servers atm, since you already have/had NA servers?
Also, you might want to take a look at one of your competitors, Hiperz https://www.hiperz.com/cart.php?gid=4, offering Dutch, German, French, Italian and multilocation servers. I’m not sure you’re offering is competitive right now, but I might have missed one of the perks of renting one of yours.

Fog

Quoted from Arie

Cool! I’m a little bit surprised you’re just offering Amsterdam-based servers atm, since you already have/had NA servers?
Also, you might want to take a look at one of your competitors, Hiperz https://www.hiperz.com/cart.php?gid=4, offering Dutch, German, French, Italian and multilocation servers. I’m not sure you’re offering is competitive right now, but I might have missed one of the perks of renting one of yours.

I rent the NA servers from another provider at this point. As for my pricing and perks, I allow STV recording right off the bat, as well as providing pre-installed Sourcemod/Metamod, ETF2L Maps and Configs, SOAP DM, and MGEMod.

When you factor in that the servers are running 24/7, enable SourceTV, and are located in the Netherlands, my servers are €5 cheaper then a comparable setup of HiperZ for 14 slot servers.

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

Cool. gl

maidos

sound great but how is the tech support?
Since you are american, are there any support available 24/7 or available at the eu times at least?
is this a one man operation?
what host company are you using?
are you running a dedicated server or a vps?
how many gameservers are you assigning per dedicated/vps server?(want to know if you are allocating each cpu cores sufficently or not)
linux or windows?
whats the spec of the server?
on the order form, include if price is with or without VAT
are you virgin?

Last edited by maidos,

Rake

Lutunen
[hePPa]

>adds dm server to favorites
>sees its on freight
>removes dm server from favorites

quintosh

wL.

what’s the deal with gameserver providers forcing people to buy additional stv spectator slots or in your case not offering one at all?

nTraum

\V/ Gold
LAME

It consumes server resources (bandwidth, load).

Fog

Quoted from quintosh

what’s the deal with gameserver providers forcing people to buy additional stv spectator slots or in your case not offering one at all?

I don’t enforce a limit on STV slots, but by default I have it set to 0 slots. It can be changed inside server.cfg.

Quoted from maidos

sound great but how is the tech support?
Since you are american, are there any support available 24/7 or available at the eu times at least?
is this a one man operation?
what host company are you using?
are you running a dedicated server or a vps?
how many gameservers are you assigning per dedicated/vps server?(want to know if you are allocating each cpu cores sufficently or not)
linux or windows?
whats the spec of the server?
on the order form, include if price is with or without VAT
are you virgin?

Going to break this down one by one:

1) I am available during the EU times
2) This is a 1 man operation, so I’ll providing all the tech support for the time being.
3) I use leaseweb for my host company
4) I’m running a dedicated server
5) Anywhere from 8-12 servers per box
6) Linux
7) Processor: Intel Quad-Core Xeon E3-1230
RAM: 8GB DDR3 (Will probably be upgrading this soon to 16GB)
HDD: 2x500GB SATA2
8) I don’t charge VAT, the prices you see are the prices you get.
9) ;)

Last edited by Fog,

maidos

thats one of the risky thing with the webhosting/gameserver industry with 1 man operation. If you have personal life which takes precedence over ur operation like tragedies of some kind, ur house electricity goes down etc and at the same time the server dies then we cant approach you.

So for now i remain skeptical over using your server.

HDD: 2x500GB SATA2 are you using hardware raid? and what raid version?

Last edited by maidos,

Fog

Quoted from maidos

thats one of the risky thing with the webhosting/gameserver industry with 1 man operation. If you have personal life which takes precedence over ur operation like tragedies of some kind, ur house electricity goes down etc and at the same time the server dies then we cant approach you.

So for now i remain skeptical over using your server.

Perhaps, but the same can be said for TragicServers, where he’s a one man operation and is quite popular in the NA scene for server hosting. If this get’s off the ground, perhaps I could get some extra support people to help me.

EDIT: No Hardware RAID

Last edited by Fog,

maidos

perhaps consider hardware raid for redundancy? like raid1 if one drive dies?

Well ppl in NA dont realize the huge flaws with 1 man operation! and they would have to experience it to realize the fatal issue.
Its a risk for you aswell fog considering if you experience any of the issues i mentioned, then your reputation as the gameserver company will be expensively tarnished and lose faith from your customer and potential customers!

But consider getting a person or two to help out.

Last edited by maidos,

Ordinator

tuhi

but you can buy vps directly from leaseweb for 16 euros and have ur own server and hosting support without third guy and it really not that hard to install and run linux srdc

maidos

Quoted from Ordinator

but you can buy vps directly from leaseweb for 16 euros and have ur own server and hosting support without third guy and it really not that hard to install and run linux srdc

1 core and 1 gb ram is barely enough to get 8 slots running optimal without laging as hell.

Ordinator

tuhi

Quoted from maidos

[…]

1 core and 1 gb ram is barely enough to get 8 slots running optimal without laging as hell.

i have 14 slot server+1 slot stv and it runs fine
or if vps is not enough for you, you can cooperate with someone and rent dedi for urself and host few servers that would be even cheaper

Last edited by Ordinator,

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 4 Next »