Forum

TF2Pickup.net sponsored by SimRai.com

Created 12th December 2012 @ 00:43

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 12 13 14 ... 84 Next »

Crafz

Quoted from AnimaL

oh god not pixelcrash servers, but i guess better than nothing… to bad nobody decent offered you just one dedi box for huge publicity :/

Well, if I would do less coding and chatting etc etc, I would have more time to look for decent sponsors. Lethal-Zones(main sponsor) tf2 server seems to be a bit fucked up so I did not request more yet. But yes, the game page would offer a lot of space for a big banner, far better then irc ever could. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8516328/TF2%20Pickup/Screenshots/gamestartpage1.PNG

Nymthae

-9w-
-9m-

Quoted from Crafz

[…]
Well, if I would do less coding and chatting etc etc, I would have more time to look for decent sponsors. Lethal-Zones(main sponsor) tf2 server seems to be a bit fucked up so I did not request more yet. But yes, the game page would offer a lot of space for a big banner, far better then irc ever could. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8516328/TF2%20Pickup/Screenshots/gamestartpage1.PNG

It’s not all that difficult. Write a generic e-mail, send it to the current most popular/favoured providers (ie. ones known for quality, 95% not whining about them). Literally if you can’t be arsed to even look, or too busy, just say here and i’m sure people will shout you a list of 5 providers they’ve had good experience with/like. I’m speaking from recent experience in helping someone secure a handful of servers, and it took me two hours to write/refine.

I would’ve thought most larger orgs would be reasonably happy to; a handful of servers is nothing to them, but the exposure is great. From where i’m sat, it looks so far so good in terms of being a very promising project for someone looking for publicity.

This isn’t a ‘stop QQ and go do it’, just highlighting it may be easier than you expect. I appreciate you’ve worked hard here, and it’s starting to show, but poor servers is probably going to be the quickest way to go downhill at this point. I don’t know where you’re from, but if the writing is an issue (not natively english) then just say and i’m sure someone can help. I have a large write up to do this week but if you’re still stuck by the end of next week then I may be able to help you with it.

atmo

user error: people not joining when they’ve added

Crafz

Quoted from Nymthae

[…]
Literally if you can’t be arsed to even look, or too busy, just say here and i’m sure people will shout you a list of 5 providers they’ve had good experience with/like.

Well, then go ahead people, suggest some good server providers. Hiperz and Ckras already turned down my offer. I should be able to manage the writing just fine. This has been on my priority list. Now that I have fixed all the major bugs and added 4 Admins to the team I should find some time for that.

wpminnows

[PG]

Quoted from atmo

user error: people not joining when they’ve added

really could use an !afk/!ready thing

rytis

PrettyGay

Quoted from Crafz

[…]
Well, then go ahead people, suggest some good server providers. Hiperz and Ckras already turned down my offer. I should be able to manage the writing just fine. This has been on my priority list. Now that I have fixed all the major bugs and added 4 Admins to the team I should find some time for that.

are there really any other good providers apart hiperz and ckras? :D

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from rytis

[…]
are there really any other good providers apart hiperz and ckras? :D

http://ovh.co.uk/

MisterPixels

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

http://ovh.co.uk/

OVH is fine for budgets, wouldn’t recommend tho. Same goes for Hetzner. Shit routing.

ups

Rather than doing polling look into socket.io.
Filter and check the data the user sends you.

1) Add $(‘#name’).text(‘Random nickname’)
2) Add as many times as you want with various nicknames using a small script without ever signing in through steam
3) ???
4) Profit by ruining multiple pickups.

Quoted from Crafz

Do you even know anything about coding? The solution should be really easy.

Last edited by ups,

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from MisterPixels

[…]

OVH is fine for budgets, wouldn’t recommend tho. Same goes for Hetzner. Shit routing.

I agree with Hetzner having bad routing but OVH has been fine for us for the last year and a bit..

Crafz

are you sure a root server provider will donate servers for 50 pound for a tf2 gaming site :D?

Had to shut the site down due to weird mysql errors.

Last edited by Crafz,

AnimaL

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

I agree with Hetzner having bad routing but OVH has been fine for us for the last year and a bit..

i got ovh and its good for everyone but klar and few other of his german mates

as for “is there any other good provider” – pretty much any, no matter how shit provider will be better than multiplay pixel servers… big portion of reason why the ppl who were in pixel didnt play it was bcs servers would crash once in 3-4 games.. more often then not game would start once a day, it would crash and it never filled up again..

not sure how they are now, havnt played but its just a quick recap of why im so negative about this

Quoted from Crafz

are you sure a root server provider will donate servers for 50 pound for a tf2 gaming site :D?

sponsoring 4 servers costing 50quid/month (or w/e it would cost them to set it up) for a site that attracts hundreds if not thousands of potential server buyers is much better investment than sponsoring 4 teams that only want to get sponsored so they get free server… i never look at the provider when doing pcw’s but having big “sponsored by x” on website has much bigger impact

at the end of the day, you just have to present it in a good manner, you are still in early steps im sure in future when settling down the stats will be good bargain

Last edited by AnimaL,

Crafz

* added or mysql die to the login process again so if the db causes trouble people will not be able to log in

Skyride

DUCS

Can’t believe i’m saying this, but i agree with something Animal said. OVH are solid and the routing is fine for everyone except germans.

Also trust me, the cost of giving someone 4 servers is so low, even if it’s clanhost, hiperz or whoever. Analysing it as lost opportunity cost doesn’t make a lot of sense. Dunno if Crafz said, but I’ve given him the servers mpuk were sponsoring pixel with for the meantime till he gets something sorted with sponsorship.

Last edited by Skyride,

Spike Himself

TC

animal making a sensible post.. wtf is up with that? someone alert Poop…

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 12 13 14 ... 84 Next »