Forum

Attention - Competitive Players Pickup Invitations

Created 7th November 2012 @ 13:14

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 ... 14 Next »

Trath

Quoted from kaidus

In a rare act, I’m gonna side with byte here. I’ve seen what happens when byte stops being a nazi with invites, and it ain’t good for the channel that’s for damn sure. Some people slip through the cracks but that’s the way the world works.

Also, to whoever was saying we should have an open channel as well – we did, it died.

Well then, TF2 community is shit. Every decent FPS game has/had pickups running all day every day. The good players are willing to play PUGs with low/new players, and the low players are willing to play with just low players.

In TF2, the good guys only want to play with good guys. The low guys only want to play with the good guys, get to be part of the “cool kid that is good at TF2” circle and think its the only way to get better at the game.

I don’t know if its the people in this community or the way things were when they started in other games. Pixel should be fully loaded, and yet its barley alive.

P.S
still waiting for my invite pl0x

Andee

GoT<3
HoT<3

I don’t want a temp invite or any invite at all. I would make an awesome stickytrap cleaner though! =) But I have always been curious about how I would hold up on prem level, just as a test for myself for one game.

Darn

rockit like

Quoted from Setlet

I stopped playing at pu2, because I need a new invite like every week. I’ve been using those temp invites for like 2 months already :/

And usually, if I ask byte to give me an invite again, he will be offline. And when he comes online he just ignores me. Normally I need to wait 2 weeks to get an invite, which will only last for a week.

Not that anyone cares, because I’m shit…

Ive been pressuring byte to get rid of that dumb temp-invite system. Also everyone from Div3 to Prem should be invited. I understand the need to play good games but we simply dont have enough players to be so elitists circlejerk community and besides Div3 players are good enough to have enjoyable games.
There are few open pugs around and they are rather painful when you need to teach people on every single game.

Angel

Quoted from Darn

I understand the need to play good games but we simply dont have enough players to be so elitists circlejerk community and besides Div3 players are good enough to have enjoyable games. There are few open pugs around and they are rather painful when you need to teach people on every single game.

+1

alba

duplo

Quoted from Darn

[…]

Ive been pressuring byte to get rid of that dumb temp-invite system. Also everyone from Div3 to Prem should be invited. I understand the need to play good games but we simply dont have enough players to be so elitists circlejerk community and besides Div3 players are good enough to have enjoyable games.
There are few open pugs around and they are rather painful when you need to teach people on every single game.

this

byte

Quoted from alba

[…]

this

Fine line between letting a skill gap of prem to div3, it’s bad enough when you get personal msgs from players moaning about x y z and player and more than one occurrence, you lot take it in your stride thinking ‘yeah why not he’s played in mixes with me’ or “well if I’m allowed in then he’s allowed in”, when you don’t see the repercussions in the long term. One of the worst come backs ever to use especially with me or F2. If you’re in when you think u shouldn’t be in then we’d remove u rather than invite the same kind in.

You think I take it into my own hands in dealing with who gets to stay and who doesn’t when most of it is based off either discussion/complaints/obvious lack of skill to compete with the rest.

It’s nothing to do about circle jerk, but like I said there is a fine line between letting such a huge skill gap occur in pickup 2. Sorry to say most of division 3 players don’t cut it, yes you’re right certain members in div 3 clearly have that potential to beat div 2 material if not higher (assuming it isn’t an ex prem player etc)…and they would get a chance in yesterday 2/3 div 3 players got in so lets see.

Setlet you kept on getting temp invites because I was given no confirmation by anyone if u sucked or pwned, as I believe I originally didn’t temp invite u correct? At the same time I don’t think I’ve played any pugs with you so again couldn’t confirm. Send us a pm to my work irc and I’ll sort you out with an invite.

It’s getting to the point where certain players won’t wanna pickup2 and just go play a double mix just because they get frustrated with the lack of skill of “x y z”, which then causes a shit pickup, which then causes people to rage blah blah…

And finally you’d have to be one deluded person to not see the MAJOR gap in skill difference between prem – div 3.

Invites/Temp Invites are still going today, and for those who can’t read once again msg Byte-me|Work not |Away, got home had over 25pm’s from people asking for a pug2 request. I may not respond straight away but I get their eventually.

Cheers

Byte

rytis

PrettyGay

I think people need to quit the whining and actually help out a lower skilled player or so to say, for example pm this or that player who did worse in the pickup, point out a few of his mistakes and tell him what he should or shouldn’t do. That would actually help out instead of whinning how bad he is.

wpminnows

[PG]

Quoted from byte

[…]
Invites/Temp Invites are still going today, and for those who can’t read once again msg Byte-me|Work not |Away

your first post does say ‘Byte-me|Work / Byte-me|Away / Byte-me|Laptop’

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from rytis

I think people need to quit the whining and actually help out a lower skilled player or so to say, for example pm this or that player who did worse in the pickup, point out a few of his mistakes and tell him what he should or shouldn’t do. That would actually help out instead of whinning how bad he is.

Sorry, but I really disagree. Pickup2 is supposed to be a pickup for a certain level of players, it’s not supposed to be a training ground for people that do not meet the desired level at the current time. To turn it into such is to drive away the very point of pickup2.

And trust me, you do not want to get into a PM discussion with someone who has played awfully in a pickup. Usually it goes one of two ways:-

– They get really offended and defensive;
– They find the advice useful but then expect more of the same.

Not everybody wants/has time to become a lacking player’s support option, and those that do openly advertise that they do in the form of mentoring. If players require constant hand holding when coming into pickup2, they should instead be gaining the experience to perform appropriately elsewhere. It’s not like pickup2 is the only arena that you can become skilled enough to *be* in pickup2.

iZon

LEGO
LEGO

SVEN FOR PICKUP2!

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Quoted from nTraum

Instead of having one active pickup channel in our relatively small community, let’s roll with 2 that are borderline dead.

Sounds fair.

Pu2 has daily pickups going, has been in good health for quite a while now, even though the number of invitees is very low.

Pixelpickup caters to EVERYONE from div6 to prem, ANYONE who wants to play. Even if you’d theoretically exclude the people that are in pu2, because they’d rather play that, you end up with a MASSIVE amount of people who could be running multiple concurrent pickups every hour in #pixeltf2.pickup. Yet they aren’t. Don’t blame this on the fact that there is an other pickup channel with just a handful op people :D

Too much whine in this topic, yet too little adds in #pixeltf2.pickup. GO play there until you get good.

On the other hand though, I think everyone who played a full season in div1+ should get an auto invite. Why deny someone like wrock?

Quoted from Trath

[…]

Well then, TF2 community is shit. Every decent FPS game has/had pickups running all day every day. The good players are willing to play PUGs with low/new players, and the low players are willing to play with just low players.

Problem is that TF2 relies more on teamplay than any team-based FPS out there. In a COD/CS pickup a high tier player can add up with low players and MLGclutch420 the enemy team to oblivion. In TF2 you’ll be pushing after doing some great damage, only to wonder 10 seconds later, when the entire enemy team is focusing you, where the hell the rest of your own team is. (oh they’re still holding mid) It can be quite frustrating at times to play when there’s a huge skill/experience gap in your team, at least, if you want to play in a moderately serious way. If people start to dick around because “cant play a serious game with these guys anyway”, the pickup becomes even less enjoyable.

I don’t know if its the people in this community or the way things were when they started in other games. Pixel should be fully loaded, and yet its barley alive.

Pixel needs radical change. Our good man Skyride is working on that. I was really hoping that in the meantime he could at least add a friend feature to the bot, to make things more attractive for medics to add up. But yeah, I would gladly see more high tier players in pixelpickup again.

Quoted from Darn

[…]

The problem with auto inviting div3/2 players is that there are a lot of people there who just have great DM but nothing else. Pu2 becomes less enjoyable when half your team is doing bad comms, barely understandable comms, or not talking at all, and dying behind enemy lines all the time. It would result in what Gubbins mentioned, driving more seasoned players away. Look at the current audience that regularly adds up. We’re missing maybe 70% of div1/prem players there; where are they? Granted, some people just don’t play much TF2 outside of pcw hours, but I bet there’s quite a load of people who aren’t adding up or stopped adding up because they think the pu2 isn’t enjoyable anymore. There are definitely loads of people in div3-2 that could get a perm-invite, but they can go through the regular channels to get an invite.

Sketch

MM

I can see the points being raised are valid. IMO the main skill jump is Prem / div 1. Div 1/2/3 is just a huge cluster of decent players and a decent caller with a mixture of any of these results in a generally decent div 2 team.

The fact that pu2 exists will always mean that people on he borderline will not want to play in pixel. There is rarely anyone above a div 4 evel in pixel. And it kinda just cuts the numbers of potential players because then a stigma surrounds playing in the shitters pugs. Whether deliberately or not. Pixel will always be viewed as an underdog for the majority of players.

wrock

vier

Quoted from Setlet

And usually, if I ask byte to give me an invite again, he will be offline. And when he comes online he just ignores me. Normally I need to wait 2 weeks to get an invite, which will only last for a week.

and just because of that a lot of player aren`t in pu2 because you have to beg an admin for an invite ( even when reach the necesarry skill level) e.g. rising would play too, but just getting ignored ( like me)

caeli

#T4F

Quoted from wrock

[…]
and just because of that a lot of player aren`t in pu2 because you have to beg an admin for an invite ( even when reach the necesarry skill level) e.g. rising would play too, but just getting ignored ( like me)

Each time I want my temp-invite back, Byte is always there and gives me the invite in less than a minute, lol. So strange.

wrock

vier

Quoted from caeli

[…]

Each time I want my temp-invite back, Byte is always there and gives me the invite in less than a minute, lol. So strange.

Im trying since a couple of weeks and didnt get a single respond yet
Altough im ideling the whole day….what’ve done to you byte?!?

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 ... 14 Next »