Pixel Pickup 2.0 - Discussion Thread

Created 3rd September 2012 @ 17:58

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Captainmode YAY

As for things I would like to see in the new pixelpickup: Because the new pixelpickup will bring in a shitload of new pickup players, there should be a focus on player retention; making sure that these new players enjoy the pickups and will keep returning. It’s all about first impressions. I’m currently not in a brainstormy mood but I’m sure that other people can think of something? (Maybe at least prevent fatkidding by making the max adds 12 players in the earlier stages of the new pickup, if captain mode goes through)

Anyway, props Skyride for the effort you’re putting in this. Looking forward to see a new pixelpickup in any shape or form!

Last edited by skeej,

Grouver

A tutorial vid wich guides you through how to connect and get your self into a game.
This vid has to be based on a free IRC client so everybody can do this.

edit: nvm found one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ7fodCNI_o
But at least it needs to be posted on the website.

Last edited by Grouver,

caned

MEAT
LEGO

Sounds great.

My vote is for the captain system. At least for a trial to see how it goes.

Nymthae

-9w-
-9m-

I’d prefer current, but i’m happy for a captains system to go ahead as pilot.

Very nice work though in general!

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Skyride

A lot of people’s sole reason for not playing now is the effort involved in using IRC/auth.

This is a bit sad.. They call themselves competitive gamers, yet using a simple chat program is rocket science to them? Shame on whoever falls into this category!

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Quoted from Skyride

Right now, here is what is set in stone.

1) It’ll be web-based.

No need to argue about IRC, it’s set in stone :)

Also being a competive gamer has nothing to do with the ways of long distance communication that a person is able or willing to use.

Skyride

DUCS

Quoted from Grouver

A tutorial vid wich guides you through how to connect and get your self into a game.
This vid has to be based on a free IRC client so everybody can do this.

edit: nvm found one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ7fodCNI_o
But at least it needs to be posted on the website.

I made that tutorial ages ago. :P

It’s on the pixel pickup website at the moment, has been for over a year.

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

This is a bit sad.. They call themselves competitive gamers, yet using a simple chat program is rocket science to them? Shame on whoever falls into this category!

effort != difficulty

Monkeh

.:ne:.

Quoted from Spike Himself

I’d never used irc until I became this teams only active leader, the guys I played with just said, ‘Got a game’ and away we went, I didn’t really consider how or why for a long time until I finally asked how they got games and this irc thing was mentioned that I had never encountered before ever.

It’s just another barrier. Pixel is the most active TF2 pick up channel in irc and hosts what, 5-10 pugs on a good day. TF2 Lobby, a web-based PUG channel host 5-10 every half an hour.

Just sayin’. This could go huge. Good luck man.

Edit: Also, shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame, I’m drowning in shame…

Last edited by Monkeh,

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from octochris

[…]

effort != difficulty

Neither should prove challenging to a competitive mind.

Not saying the web thing is bad idea.. I’m just drifting off-topic a bit as per usual, that’s all :D

dougiie

CotC

About the captain system….

Wouldn’t it just take games longer to start if people have to pick teams?

Monkeh

Dunno if it fits in with your overall plan but having the option for closed PUG’s might be a good idea. Div3+ or Div5/6 etc so higher level players can play PUG 2 style and lower players can play without the ‘pressure’ of trying to perform to some prem guys standards.

Squirry

nNT ≠

One of the good aspects of the Steam community is that we can make groups and make it active to make events. Newbie mixes use it to promote their mixes, but…yeah, I’m pretty sure we could make an active Pixel Pickup channel using Steam Group as well, to promote the pickups opened.

Last edited by Squirry,

Leif

Quoted from Monkeh

Dunno if it fits in with your overall plan but having the option for closed PUG’s might be a good idea. Div3+ or Div5/6 etc so higher level players can play PUG 2 style and lower players can play without the ‘pressure’ of trying to perform to some prem guys standards.

If we make it Captains system based this is pointless since I bet captains will check the skill of everyone they dont know – basically anyone below div 4 that doesnt play too often I guess – so they are supposed to be aware of what to expect from everyone.

That would means also that you deny the opportunity to play with more experienced and better players that dont want to play always at top level, if they want to play at their level there’s already pug2 so it’s useless anyway.

Monkeh

I was thinking along the lines of a one stop shop for all though you see. Those in PUG 2 and who don’t want to play with newbies can host there own circle jerk PUGS and those that might want to help a few newbies out or who don’t care very much can make a nice mixed PUG for all.

Also the lower skilled guys can play in their environment without getting raged at or called names be higher skilled guys who didn’t really want to play with a div 6’er.

Having options is good, having options all in one single place is better.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »