Forum

Pixel Pickup 2.0 - Discussion Thread

Created 3rd September 2012 @ 17:58

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 4 Next »

Skyride

DUCS

Hey guys.

So I’m just looking to get some feedback and ideas. Right now, here is what is set in stone.

1) It’ll be web-based. It’s not going to be like tf2lobby/tf2mm, but the concept of it being web-based is something that makes sense for attracting new players. A lot of people’s sole reason for not playing now is the effort involved in using IRC/auth.

2) There will be no lobbies. We’re just going to keep the same single-threaded queue system we’ve always had. I.e. you add up to the game, vote a map and then it starts, and another pickup becomes open.

3) We’re going to use steam login. There won’t be any heavy level if integration other than showing your avatar (i’ve not even decided yet whether it’ll show your steam name or a changeable nickname. It also allows to in future add some pretty cool stats if we wanted to go down that route.

4) It’ll be open. There will be no invite system or anything like that. Anyone can play, no skill restrictions, however being bad will still be a valid ban reason (i.e. someone who’s never played comp before and comes in to try pyro will get a chatting to, and if they don’t wise up they’ll just get banned for a couple of months).

I’ve got this little mock up of what i’m thinking design wise right now. Super early photoshop, nothing again nothing set in stone: http://i.imgur.com/C93qY.png .

What I’d like your thoughts on:

1) Captain vs Current system. I can’t be arsed reading gigantic walls of text for/against, I just want to know what in your opinion you PREFER.

2) Is there anything you’d like to see in it that Pixel Pickup currently doesn’t do, and is there any major thing about Pixel Pickup right now that we got rid of.

3) Anything else that comes to mind.

Cheers, Adam

Khronus

.Dicknitas

Captain mode might be interesting.

Great, simply great!

instag1b

Panda

Captain option would be interesting. Worthy of at least a trial period.

Regen

nf.
9F

siiiiick :D

Add both? captain mode sounds interesting but not sure if it’s good for long term. Definitely would like a trial or it :P

Leif

I dont really care between Captains system and a bot as long as it doesnt get broken too often and balances games, but I definitely would like to try Captain system for some time at least.

By they way it actually looks very cool and hope it gets done as soon as possible, but I would introduce also some kind of link with ETF2L rather than Steam profile (or both), especially if you are going to make it captain system profile based; so captains can imagine the skill level of someone they dont know just by watching ETF2L profile.

What I’m thinking about is still some kind of auth (Steam login actually is as well) that first require registration (like it is with Q) and ask your ETF2L profile and Steam Id so that everyone can acces everyone else’s ETF2L profile (since one could change nickname in Steam and not being reconized).

Last edited by Leif,

T0m

(ETF2L Donator)

Adam as you are bare scottish, do we get free irn bru when we play?

dougiie

CotC

Make some sort of zero tolerance attitude towards no comms/not joining mumble.

Skyride

DUCS

Quoted from Leif

ask your ETF2L profile and Steam Id so that everyone can acces everyone else’s ETF2L profile (since one could change nickname in Steam and not being reconized).

Ye that’s not a bad idea. You mean grab peoples nick name on etf2l and use that? hmmmmmm…..

The problem would be there is no way to prove it is really your etf2l account that you’ve entered.

Quoted from dougiie

Make some sort of zero tolerance attitude towards no comms/not joining mumble.

There already is. :P

If people are doing that atm, let me know and i’ll whip out the ban hammer.

Last edited by Skyride,

Leif

Quoted from Skyride

[…]

Ye that’s not a bad idea. You mean grab peoples nick name on etf2l and use that? hmmmmmm…..

The problem would be there is no way to prove it is really your etf2l account that you’ve entered.

Yeah, that’s true as well.
What about, then, logging in with your ETF2L account? I’m pretty sure that if you ask you’ll get access to its db if you already dont.
Moreover, what’s the main reaon of logging in with your Steam profile? Is it for the Steam Id? And in what way can it be useful to the pickup? This is not a retorical question, I’m asking because I dont know :P

MIndYe

[hePPa]

ETF2L login would be nice. If (when) it goes website based, can we still use irc to add? In the concept it looks like IRC chat.

emb

(Legend)
ciortai

Aren’t there plenty of NA players complaining about fatkidding, bias and long wait for captains(on par with medics) in pug.na? The grass always looks greener on the other side, but that doesn’t mean it is.

What problems is Captains mode supposed to solve in pixel? Will the solution outweigh the new problems inherent to the mode? Change for the sake of change usually ends up being a waste of effort.

envy

Quoted from Skyride

Login through Steam -> get SteamID -> get ETF2L profile? But on the other side, what if there is no ETF2L profile?
And no Captain system: slow and abusable.

Edd

T2P

Sounds good, however could you also enforce stuff like English comms. i’ve played before where 5 other players have just spoken swahili, russian, hebrew all game its bare cringey.

+ 1 captain draft I’m really interested to see how this will work though it might just be another circle jerk shit bitch :/

gl mang

Last edited by Edd,

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 4 Next »