Forum

#pixeltf2.open

Created 25th September 2010 @ 17:18

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 ... 6 Next »

torden

broder
syster

Quoted from Chaos

I do see where your concerns are coming from, but I think it’s down to how it’s run and policed.

My concerns are stated quite clear in black on white just above your post.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from Chaos

I don’t know Torden. There’s lots of people in the lower divisions that can’t play in #pixeltf2.pickup that don’t want to play lobbies. I am also going to be openly helping people learn in this channel if they are new. That’s something that was missing in the old mpuk pickup system which I think is very important to newer players.

To most new players, moving from pub to 6v6 is very hard. While the lobby system is very good at what it does, it doesn’t really replicate the 6v6 most of us are used to.

I do see where your concerns are coming from, but I think it’s down to how it’s run and policed.

Why didn’t you help people in #mpuktf2.pickup then?

Rele

Quoted from Koeitje

[…]

Why didn’t you help people in #mpuktf2.pickup then?

Cause they don’t listen anyway.

Skyride

DUCS

Torden, that’s pretty much bang on why I was previously against the idea, but then I had a look at some of the numbers involved:

There are currently more than 40,000 registered players on etf2l (the 40,000th person registered last week). Now I know huge number of these will be inactive players and such, so lets just look at 6v6 and highlander.

Season 7:
320 Teams * 7 players (6 + backup) = 2,240 players

Highlander:
960 Teams * 11 players (12 not inc buddy) = 10,560 players

That is AT LEAST 12,800 active players in ETF2L. Personally, I think that is an absolutely astounding achievement and the ETF2L admins deserve a round of applause for that. Realistically though, the number is probably a couple thousand higher than that due to clanless players, semi-active players, backups, and people like myself who simply don’t want to commit to playing regularly in a 6v6 team.

So lets say, ballpark figure, 15,000 active players. Using the maths above (assuming we’re using S7 as our judging factor which it isn’t nearly as simple as), That leaves us with about 1,700 players who would qualify for #pixeltf2.pickup. That’s not even 15% of the active competitive TF2 community.

As much as I disagree with Admirable’s sentiment that we will have a massive in-rush of new 6v6 players, that is an insane amount of new players to bassically outcast from the community. Infact, if anything, we’re sealing ourselves off.

I just think we should bear in mind those numbers when the “don’t be elitist” card gets played. I’m not sure its a good idea, I’m not sure it’ll work, but there is a potential “market” of about 13,500 players for #pixeltf2.open, so I’m bloody well going to give the community it.

edit: I should note, I’m trying desperately hard to find a way to disagree with myself here, but that above just makes too much sense.

Last edited by Skyride,

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from Rele

[…]

Cause they don’t listen anyway.

No shit.

But adam, what does this channel offer beyond #mpuktf2.pickup?

Last edited by Koeitje,

Waebi

‹Con›

Quoted from Koeitje

[…]

No shit.

Life?

Skyride

DUCS

Quoted from Koeitje

-active admins
-The ability to add as a particular class

s’about it really…

.. oh, and actually having a bot in the channel is a good start.

Quoted from morf

.. oh, and actually having a bot in the channel is a good start.

Oh, the irony!

Chaos

BAT

Quoted from dotfloat™

[…]

Oh, the irony!

fml
get a job and leave us alone

Brainmaster

GoT<3
#WW

love this idea :)

Skyride

DUCS

PICKUP CHANNEL IS GO, JOIN UP NOW LADS.

Enef

fest
#wubafan

Skyride is a troll in his own shit.

Heavy at mid and shit, direct hits everywhere.

Chaos

BAT

Quoted from Enef

Skyride is a troll in his own shit.

Heavy at mid and shit, direct hits everywhere.

direct hit is allowed.. and if his team said it’s ok, he can go heavy… so it’s not a troll :P

Skyride

DUCS

Quoted from Chaos

[…]direct hit is allowed.. and if his team said it’s ok, he can go heavy… so it’s not a troll :P

I called going direct hit as it seemed like a good idea at mid due to us getting jumped by their sollys constantly, and I went heavy at mid to try and confuse the other team. Called it before we even respawned for the start of the round and no one said anything against it, and it actually worked, we won mid because of it. :P

Skyride

DUCS

I heard people whined for this channel, and now theres nobody to play in it.

/join #pixeltf2.open

do it noi

Last edited by Skyride,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 ... 6 Next »