Forum

Season 9 Suggestions

Created 17th December 2010 @ 11:00

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 13 14 15 ... 25 Next »

Tikcus

Quoted from AcidReniX

I think the other thing to realise, is that the GRU will only really have an effect at getting a heavy to middle, making him more viable for initial rollouts. Sure, it means he can get into position faster, but this time difference is very minimal, and in a lot of situations, teams would wait for all 6 players to be around each other before they push. If the heavy dies, the GRU is only going to speed up the push because he will be back in position faster than a regular heavy. In other words, the GRU is going to have almost no effect on the rest of the match other than slightly faster push timings, or having a defending player in position 2-5 seconds faster, asuming they are defending far.

Which leads me to assume the players who do not want the GRU to be allowed, are more complaining about the fact that they don’t want a heavy to be useful on midfights, and just want to keep running two soldiers as the only realistic heavy combo pack for that battle. That is wrong on so many levels… banning an unlock that potentially makes a class viable when currently, it is not (In midfights on certain maps). They could also be complaining about ‘an unlock being allowed in general’, which is fine, but it’s a different argument alltogether.

+100000000000000

Matt

TEZC
TEZC

Who wants heavies to be viable? Fucking boring class played by players who aren’t good (Hi Nick <3)

Thalien

;?
¤_¤

Quoted from Matt

Who wants heavies to be viable? Fucking boring class played by players who aren’t good (Hi Nick <3)

Fuck you, heavy requires alot of skill. Aiming when you’re practically a stationary target is very hard! And don’t get me started on the movement skills you need, man it’s just so complex.

Vali

-9w-

Quoted from AcidReniX

I think the other thing to realise, is that the GRU will only really have an effect at getting a heavy to middle, making him more viable for initial rollouts. Sure, it means he can get into position faster, but this time difference is very minimal, and in a lot of situations, teams would wait for all 6 players to be around each other before they push. If the heavy dies, the GRU is only going to speed up the push because he will be back in position faster than a regular heavy. In other words, the GRU is going to have almost no effect on the rest of the match other than slightly faster push timings, or having a defending player in position 2-5 seconds faster, asuming they are defending far.

Which leads me to assume the players who do not want the GRU to be allowed, are more complaining about the fact that they don’t want a heavy to be useful on midfights, and just want to keep running two soldiers as the only realistic heavy combo pack for that battle. That is wrong on so many levels… banning an unlock that potentially makes a class viable when currently, it is not (In midfights on certain maps). They could also be complaining about ‘an unlock being allowed in general’, which is fine, but it’s a different argument alltogether.

The first part is wrong. Just take a look at the equaliser as to how effective increased (non-aggressive) movement can be, I thought you would’ve had a better grip on how increased movement speed can make a large impact on situations Arx. One of the major weaknesses of the heavy was just how punishing overextending was for him (slow movement combined with long spindown time) and with GRU it just makes it even more lenient for a heavy to escape poor aggressive decisions. It also affects most pushes by a team since you’re only as quick as your slowest member if you’re going to push as a team, it affects the heavy’s ability to assist in different areas of the map (rotating for example), allows him to hold a more aggressive position but still be able to retreat in the face of a push, the list goes on.

Your second bit is spot on though, this is going to more or less be a discussion about whether or not people think the heavy should actually be viable or not. I think you’re going to find a fair number of people in opposition to that as well, and that isn’t to say that their opinion is without merit.

Last edited by Vali,

Sketch

MM

did someone say vanilla?

kaidus

WiK?

Quoted from DeNeusbeer

[…]
How exactly are you unable to do so? It should work, i think.

Well before I couldn’t select a match, but that bug got fixed but now the upload simply fails. I let it get to 100% and then nothing happens, it doesn’t appear on match page, etc etc.

Foster

-9m-
Pixie <3

I think with the whole heavy GRU thing in relation to speed of the game it’s less about the speed the heavy gets to mid and more about the class changes required to deal with a heavy.

A team is usually fairly unlikely to stick with the standard classes if the other team is running a heavy. So what swaps? I guess normally a scout swaps out for a sniper or a heavy themselves (maybe a spy if it’s not the midfight?).

The emphasis here is on a scout swapping out… fastest class in game, class most likely to back cap/flank ect. Surely running 2 less scouts in an average game will slow the game down a fair bit? If not, it will surely negatively effect the whole dynamic of backcapping.

Currently it’s not really a big deal cause it only happens on a few maps…but I think allowing the GRU would significantly increase the numbers of heavies run; therefore a big decrease in med/dem/sc/sc/sol/sol rollouts.

btw, I don’t really care about gru or not, just thought I’d point the above out and bait someone into flaming me.

oh and viaduct would be cool.

Last edited by Foster,

Wabbeh

PLease don’t allow GRU + New steak sandvich. Faster than scout scout speed to mid isnt cool. ANd about the GRU: HEavy is tank. He is slow yet powerful, and tough. Now he is fast. Now he is fast and powerful and tough. What downsides are there?

freshmeatt

‹Con›

Quoted from Wabbeh

PLease don’t allow GRU + New steak sandvich. Faster than scout scout speed to mid isnt cool. ANd about the GRU: HEavy is tank. He is slow yet powerful, and tough. Now he is fast. Now he is fast and powerful and tough. What downsides are there?

The netcode.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from freshmeatt

[…]

The netcode.

Which is fine.

archy

imo its funny how many people demand unlocks that do something special, which then get banned however.

like TDH: people demanded a rocketlauncher that was more skill oriented with higher risks on the one hand and higher rewards on the other hand. and now it is banned.

people were waiting for those GRU for so long: why? a weapon that would make the heavy viable again. he would lose hp for being faster. also less damage on hit, so he cant just go crazy and fist everyone to death like a madman (hi, equalizer pre-nerf). and now people want to see it banned, except for those who would so love to run a heavy and not the standard 2 scouts/2 soldiers/ 1 demo/ 1 medic line up.

Just allow this weapon, its really not that hard to deal with a heavy. Did focus-firing really become a lost art?

edit: the STEAK + GRU combo however seems a bit too strong for my taste though… a heavy that is as fast as a scout on gran mid with full hp spinning up and then ripping through at least one scout if not 2… nah, thats too much for my taste tbh.

Last edited by archy,

Lynn

⁄⁄nν

Quoted from AcidReniX

The issue here is that scouts do not like fighting a heavy, because you can dodge rockets, not the AC

Really? I personally love fighting Heavies, they’re quite fun to toy with. (just don’t run straight at them >.>)

Hiper

-YSND-

Quoted from archy

people were waiting for those GRU for so long: why? a weapon that would make the heavy viable again. he would lose hp for being faster. also less damage on hit, so he cant just go crazy and fist everyone to death like a madman

When the community asked for the Gru in the first place,the heavy wasnt as buffed as it is now i think. (minigun spread,damage,rev speed,…)

RaCio

GoT²

Quoted from AcidReniX

You need to find a way to generalise the unlocks so that it’s easy to read the rules, and won’t cause my confusion.

– Also added “mp_tournament_whitelist”, a convar that allows servers to specify a whitelist file to use.

The whitelist is starting to look great imo :)

CommanderX

(ETF2L Donator)
TEZC

Leon said a long time ago when the gru first came out that it was op when compbined with the previous buff of reduced spin up/down time and that previous to that spin time buff it would have been much more balanced

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 13 14 15 ... 25 Next »