Forum

European Mix League

Created 6th May 2015 @ 21:14

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

chando

Quoted from Gentleman Jon

[…]
It wasn’t incorrect, Tagg has 251 kills on TF2 Center. The point is that the number of kills has nothing to do with his quality, or any other player’s quality. There are plenty of reasonable criticisms I am happy to entertain, but this isn’t one of them.

I agree, kills aren’t everything, and yes Tagg is (arguably) the No1 Soldier. But lobbies aren’t reflective of peoples skill. Their previous seasons are the most accurate. There are several parameters in TF2Center that could make someone play worse than in an official. The only accurate method is through officials because it’s played with and against people of the same skill level. Hence that is what we will be using to judge a players skill.

Note: Not trying to get into an argument about “Who’s the best Soldier” :P

Gentleman Jon

Quoted from chando

Note: Not trying to get into an argument about “Who’s the best Soldier” :P

No but you appear to be arguing something I am not. I’ve already pointed out it’s not suitable above. If you read the FAQ you will notice that I’m already well aware of the limitations of the project and where it might suitably be deployed.

chando

[…]
No but you appear to be arguing something I am not. I’ve already pointed out it’s not suitable above. If you read the FAQ you will notice that I’m already well aware of the limitations of the project and where it might suitably be deployed.

I feel it’s going off a tangent at this point, I’m not trying to cause a row here. tf2playerrankings wont be used by EUML when it goes live to check player’s skill level. No further debate is required as I’m sure we’re all on the same wavelength about the subject in discussion. Have a good day!

Gentleman Jon

Quoted from chando

Have a good day!

I really hate customer support people who try to con you out of a good argument by being disgustingly cheerful.

One thing I do have that you might want to use is a good balancing algorithm that overcomes the fat kid effect of common picking strategies like the greedy algo. When you have any programmers and stuff.

chando

[…]
I really hate customer support people who try to con you out of a good argument by being disgustingly cheerful.

One thing I do have that you might want to use is a good balancing algorithm that overcomes the fat kid effect of common picking strategies like the greedy algo. When you have any programmers and stuff.

It’s no ‘customer support’, im just trying to be friendly. And I’ll keep your algorithms in mind for when we hire some programmer to get to work on a site. Thankyou for the offer. When we’ve got some coders on the go, feel free to add me to discuss the use of your algorithms.

Just to clarify that I respect the work you’ve put into Player Rankings and while it hasn’t got a function for what EUML, it’s a handy tool to have for the general community. Wasn’t trying to put down your work or anything.

CHERRY

500 euro campaign already? :O

chando

Quoted from CHERRY

500 euro campaign already? :O

It’s a general fundraiser, since we use flexible funding we keep 91% of what we make from the fundraiser (9% going to Indie GoGo). Our first quotes from Website Development companies quoted us at around this figure, though recent quotes have been slightly cheaper and we are currently looking for programmers inside the community who will hopefully give a discount. Any funds left over will be used as a prize pool for the first tournament, so nothing will go to waste.

The campaign may seem a little premature to be asking for money, it’s entirely up to the person to donate. During the fundraiser, our team is putting aside their time to have everything in place for when development goes live and frequent updates are hopefully going to be dispatched as and when.

Last edited by chando,

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

Quoted from chando

The only accurate method is through officials because it’s played with and against people of the same skill level. Hence that is what we will be using to judge a players skill.

Do you mean the ‘div’ system that tf2pickup formerly used? Or stats from logs from league games?

ondkaja

IKEA

New project initiated by people unknown to the community, asking for 500€ without even having a website or any real work put into it?

Might be a scam, would not consider donating.

chando

Quoted from fraac

[…]

Do you mean the ‘div’ system that tf2pickup formerly used? Or stats from logs from league games?

This is not quite decided yet and right now is not a priority. A fair method of placing players into skill tiers will be decided in due time.

chando

Quoted from ondkaja

New project initiated by people unknown to the community, asking for 500€ without even having a website or any real work put into it?

Might be a scam, would not consider donating.

After some consideration, the fundraiser has been held off until we have more support within the community. I am confident we can begin production of EUML without the need of a fundraiser at this current minute. The fundraiser will remain active due to there being donations (from staff) already donated on there, which will be used to help development. However, there will be no more advertisement on the Steam group or any other site.

I apologise if the fundraiser gave people the wrong impression; it was a mistake on EUML’s part entirely.

Last edited by chando,

chando

After some consideration, the fundraiser has been held off until we have more support within the community. I am confident we can begin production of EUML without the need of a fundraiser at this current minute. The fundraiser will remain active due to there being donations (from staff) already donated on there, which will be used to help development. However, there will be no more advertisement on the Steam group or any other site.

I apologise if the fundraiser gave people the wrong impression; it was a mistake on EUML’s part entirely.

RTC

That’s probably the best move from a PR standpoint. Work on establishing yourselves before working on donations, TF2Center took a good year or two to start asking for donations.

Predemo

I have to say, that our Steam group has around 600 members now. I know that’s not supposed to be measurement of the trust, since i have asked about 11 people to add all of they’r friend’s, but there’s a spreadsheet in which people write they’r names if they would use this site and atm i has over 130 names.

CHERRY

Good move, though I think I should’ve elaborated why I found this fundriser rather surprising instead of posting a shocked emote.

The main thing is that I didn’t really dislike the fundraiser idea, it’s just that a goal set to 500e shocked me.
I just feel like it’d be better for you to just accept PayPal donations without any expectation, because it makes you look like you’re after the money where a lot of other projects like TF2Center, TF2Pickup or Serveme were all self financed and people just expect the same from all future projects especially if they are just starting.

Don’t get me wrong though as I’m not really saying that this is how it should. 500 euro in a normal world wouldn’t really be considered a big budget especially if you need to hire someone, but people who work here contribute without anything in return and most of the players never win anything by playing the game (they even lose money on going to LANs).
Though it is true that one (the potential coder) needs either money or passion to be motivated, but hey – while it’s hard to find someone who codes for free nowadays I think it’s totally possible for the same reason this fundraiser wouldn’t work now. You just need to make him part of the project rather than contracting so he feels that he’s working on something he’s a part of and motivation will outbalance need for money.

I wish you the best, maybe it will be a good idea for you to post on teamfortress.tv as it might get more attention there.

Last edited by CHERRY,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »