Forum

can we please get a new HL mix site?

Created 27th June 2014 @ 20:56

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »

quell

UbeR |

as far as hl mixes go, the only time i have seen people be disdainful is when you’ve got either obnoxious or just really, really bad (or both) players joining up. or trolls.

EmilioEstevez

GG

Quoted from prof

I mean a better idea would be for me to stop talking and organise shit tier mixes but if I was doing that then I wouldn’t be posting on forums would I.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ahjhko7fIw92dGFYRUVVYy1yNGNReXV6TW9FNnlxa1E#gid=2
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/9v9colony

Lots of people used to organise d2-4 only mixes or d4-6 etc and even any div mixes (the spreadsheet fell out of usage when the IRC pickup came around). You are more than welcome to host your own and encourage others to use the spreadsheet again. You can rent a server from serveme.tf and use the colony mumble if necessary.

If you are desperate to play with higher div people you can sign up as a sub in the higher div mixes too and if they have a spot free when it is starting you will be asked to play. Most mixes ended up with people outside of the div requirement playing, but by giving higher div people preference the level of play was kept high.

Last edited by EmilioEstevez,

Munky

AEUGH

Isn’t this the third or fourth time a method of setting up mixes has slowly fizzled out? Maybe the problem is more with the community (not welcoming enough/interest fading over time) than with what is used to set up the mixes.

Also prof just gave his opinion and explained why he didn’t use IRC. No need to poke him too much.

Last edited by Munky,

SabaSaba

[hePPa]

Colony double mix group is still very filled and if you really want you want to use the spreadsheet, nobody is stopping you.

Personally, I played double mixes back in the day before it got too serious. My best HL memories are when we played mirror maps, everybody was silly or drunk and all teams were picked by fat kid system. Nowadays I just can’t find anything interesting in these double mixes. Bring back drunk mirror map fat kids! And that’s really what started it all.

Last edited by SabaSaba,

.zero

-chess-

Wheel of Misfortune!

Scissors

(ETF2L Donator)

Quoted from .zero

Wheel of Misfortune!

rofl I remember these, always took longer to make the teams than to play the game itself, was fun though

jakeowaty

Quoted from .zero

Wheel of Misfortune!

Have to agree. Wish there were more randomized mixes like that, would make the game actually quicker.

Just add and play with whatever you got. No complains. Perfect.

Wiethoofd

(Newswriter)
LvG

Quoted from EmilioEstevez

So its not really aimed at many of the people in this thread who are mostly looking for somewhere to play at a d2 or above level?

Where does it say this thread is for d2 and up? Where do you see only players who want to play with d2 and up, I only see you so far in this thread…

Nothing, I don’t even know how your site balances teams I was just saying that an actual person managing each mix is always gonna lead to better mixes than any chosen set of rules.

Isn’t someone manually balancing a mix also doing this on an arbitrary set of rules to prevent rolls/have some fun games?

I’m implying that being forced to team up with people 2 or more divs below or above you isn’t really fun

So a prem player offclassing should not be allowed to play with a div 4 on class player according you your ‘rule’ or should not be fun at all. Playing with people who are better then you might teach you something.

and I’d like to play somewhere where I wasn’t always forced to do that.

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻

You are more than welcome to host your own and encourage others to use the spreadsheet again. You can rent a server from serveme.tf and use the colony mumble if necessary.

Isn’t this basically a ‘go do it yourself’ to the community? Telling someone to rent a server and you offering a mumble and using the sheet is all stuff we already did for you on TF2Pickup, we have the servers set up (mumble and game), you just have to add up with a click instead of typing your name on a sheet…

If you are desperate to play with higher div people you can sign up as a sub in the higher div mixes too and if they have a spot free when it is starting you will be asked to play. Most mixes ended up with people outside of the div requirement playing, but by giving higher div people preference the level of play was kept high.

Apparently you are desperate and biased, since you have only tried our webbased pickup once (without the player rankings per class to balance) and are only willing to play with high skilled players (get them to add up as well?)!

HartzFartz

(ETF2L Donator)
0fo
0FO

Sorry for the wall of text but I was asked to chime in with my past expierence with mixes.

About a year ago I started hosting div3+(which was my skillevel at the time) mixes on a then mostly dead spreadsheet. After 2 weeks of trying to host them at 8 Cest more and more players caught on and others started hosting mixes of their own.
After another 2 weeks we had a lot of mixes being played with diffrent skilllevels. we had my div 3+/div2+/div4/any div and more. We even had mixes in the middle of the day and way late in the eveing and all this sprout from a basically dead mix community.

So how did it came back to life? Well Mixes were arranged in the afternoon and players had a good amount of timeto sign up. Sure it took several hours to fill a mix completely but since you weren’t actively waiting for the mix to start that wasn’t an issue at all. Another big plus was that we were able to get players listed as subs if someone had to go or didnt show up at all.
Now the pickup/irc/ezmix all have the problem that you have to actively wait for the mix to start untill you have your 18 players, which can take quite often a good amount of time to happen and the higher the aspired skilllevel is the longer it will take. which means you have no idea when its gonna start.

At the moment we have EZmix for casual mixes and if we get the spreadsheet back to former glory we have a platform for division specific mixes(aka high level).

In my opinion this is the best and most elegant solution for everyone. the EU HL mix irc showed us that it takes serious commitment(thx hajdzik) to have it working properly since you have to rally all the people one by one together. and then there were still problems. I dont see how pickup can handle this problem any better than the irc.

Im not gonna go in further details because it would take too long to write it all down. I hope you trust my judgement.

EZMxs
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/EzMxs

Colony 9v9
http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791431717933
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ahjhko7fIw92dGFYRUVVYy1yNGNReXV6TW9FNnlxa1E&pli=1#gid=2

EmilioEstevez

GG

I can only let you know what kind of games I’m looking for, if you don’t want to put skill limits on your site then that’s absolutely your prerogative as the admin.

Wiethoofd

(Newswriter)
LvG

I can only let you know what kind of games I’m looking for, if you don’t want to put skill limits on your site then that’s absolutely your prerogative as the admin.

According to you skill is directly related to your ETF2L division, since we only show those as cosmetic stats and don’t use these to limit people from adding up and skill/rating is a relative and constantly changing value we use to balance the pickups, adding a skill/rating minimum value is theoretically possible, but will cause even more separation in an already tiny (and apparently very elitist) community.

Instead of completely relying on the sheet, if you have 18 players there, why not add up on TF2Pickup.net and have our balancer do the matchmaking for you? Contact an admin and use your own mumble server instead of the TF2Pickup one if you don’t care to switch/gather on the other mumbles.

Sure, the first time without any logs for new TF2Pickup players it’s hard to immediately determine skill/ratings (as with any rating, even on TF2C if they implement something like that!), but every subsequent pickup/mix should be better at balancing out teams and if anyone decides to randomly add up for a pickup on their own terms/time his/her rating will change after analysing the logs.

unu

Quoted from SabaSaba

Colony double mix group is still very filled and if you really want you want to use the spreadsheet, nobody is stopping you.

Personally, I played double mixes back in the day before it got too serious. My best HL memories are when we played mirror maps, everybody was silly or drunk and all teams were picked by fat kid system. Nowadays I just can’t find anything interesting in these double mixes. Bring back drunk mirror map fat kids! And that’s really what started it all.

I remember my first :E double mix. Fatkidded to play engineer on cp_upland (horrible map too, like steel but worse) :D

Good times, can’t believe it’s almost 2.5 years ago.

Last edited by unu,

quell

UbeR |

Quoted from Wiethoofd

[…]
According to you skill is directly related to your ETF2L division, since we only show those as cosmetic stats and don’t use these to limit people from adding up and skill/rating is a relative and constantly changing value we use to balance the pickups, adding a skill/rating minimum value is theoretically possible, but will cause even more separation in an already tiny (and apparently very elitist) community.

Instead of completely relying on the sheet, if you have 18 players there, why not add up on TF2Pickup.net and have our balancer do the matchmaking for you? Contact an admin and use your own mumble server instead of the TF2Pickup one if you don’t care to switch/gather on the other mumbles.

Sure, the first time without any logs for new TF2Pickup players it’s hard to immediately determine skill/ratings (as with any rating, even on TF2C if they implement something like that!), but every subsequent pickup/mix should be better at balancing out teams and if anyone decides to randomly add up for a pickup on their own terms/time his/her rating will change after analysing the logs.

niet dom doen wietje. :) saying “etf2l div is a subjective measure of skill” holds some merit but in the end is bs, especially when the point being discussed is high level hl mixes. high level hl isnt only just dm, its also hl sense of what youre supposed to do.

in the end its irrelevant anyway, cause the thing about hl mixes is that theyre pretty high maintenace to organize properly (getting 18 players together, starting on time, having a good game) that a few people that arent up to par will quickly have a negative influence on the game.

hartz’s post makes sense in this regard. the sheet has been the best way to organize proper hl mixes.

Wiethoofd

(Newswriter)
LvG

Quoted from quell

saying “etf2l div is a subjective measure of skill” holds some merit but in the end is bs

MightyMe in div 5, Huhy in div 3, so much fun this and past season if you read the forums and theoretically a bad idea if you purely rely on the divs the etf2l api responds :)

especially when the point being discussed is high level hl mixes. high level hl isnt only just dm, its also hl sense of what youre supposed to do.

There are only a couple of users here in this thread who keep pressuring the fact that the ‘new mix site’ to answer the initial question they want has to be high skill; but already requiring this skill ceiling from the start you exclude the majority of the community just wants to mix/pickup 17 players and go crazy on a server with everyone in mumble.

Sure, the difference in skill will always be noticeable, but by never allowing a lower div/ranked player to get into the higher skilled/ranked mixes/pickups without having to be in the ‘inner circle’ would be impossible without manually ‘rating’ players or adjusting skill requirements accordingly.

in the end its irrelevant anyway, cause the thing about hl mixes is that theyre pretty high maintenace to organize properly (getting 18 players together, starting on time, having a good game) that a few people that arent up to par will quickly have a negative influence on the game.

The fact that 6 extra players and 5 more different classes apparently makes it a lot harder, but not trying to fill up the current alternative websites (TF2C/TF2Pickup) is also showing how lazy people are or how reluctant high ‘skill’ players are to play with lower skilled players.

hartz’s post makes sense in this regard. the sheet has been the best way to organize proper hl mixes.

the best way to reliably organize proper high skill hl mixes* FTFY

b33p

(ETF2L Donator)
-st-

http://mediamusings.dsc.rmit.edu.au/files/2012/10/Beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

tl;dr spreadsheet is alive again

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »