Forum

can we please get a new HL mix site?

Created 27th June 2014 @ 20:56

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 ... 8 Next »

Wiethoofd

(Newswriter)
LvG

Quoted from EmilioEstevez

We often don’t have enough high level HL players willing to mix at one time to keep a pickup active, but the spreadsheet allows us to gather 18 people over several hours without having anybody waiting around all that time.

You already have a skill floor there for people to enter, we don’t have a skill level this high for TF2Pickup.net, just an ETF2L requirement (prevent multiple accounts, checking bans and standardized nicknames) and some clue about what is supposed to happen in a competitive 6v6/Highlander game

Also because its done by hand it means a lot of the skill policing is more effective as the mix organiser has ultimate control rather than some arbitrary set of rules.

I don’t know where you’re hinting at, but I think our player ranking system/elo on TF2Pickup.net is pretty decent at balancing games and keeping track of players improving their game. We allow each medic to pick 1 player to end up in their team and rebalance teams accordingly.

Oh and you can schedule several mixes at once.

We have a minimum of 2 servers available, it’s just people visiting TF2Pickup.net and actually adding up instead of lingering in chat waiting for everyone else to play medic or engineer.

Last edited by Wiethoofd,

EmilioEstevez

GG

Quoted from Wiethoofd

You already have a skill floor there for people to enter, we don’t have a skill level this high for TF2Pickup.net

So its not really aimed at many of the people in this thread who are mostly looking for somewhere to play at a d2 or above level?

Quoted from Wiethoofd

I don’t know where you’re hinting at, but I think our player ranking system/elo on TF2Pickup.net is pretty decent at balancing games and keeping track of players improving their game.

Nothing, I don’t even know how your site balances teams I was just saying that an actual person managing each mix is always gonna lead to better mixes than any chosen set of rules.

Last edited by EmilioEstevez,

[…]

So its not really aimed at many of the people in this thread who are mostly looking for somewhere to play at a d2 or above level?

Are you implying that anything below Prem isn’t more or less on the same level? Which HL leagues have you been playing lately?

I’m not exactly sure what you expect tactics wise from a prem-d2 band of mercs tactic wise, apart from the vanilla tactics on ye olden pl maps, like badwater or upward. It’s gonna be more DM/gamesense then tactics.

Last edited by Crazyman,

EmilioEstevez

GG

Quoted from Crazyman

[…]Are you implying that anything below Prem isn’t more or less on the same level? Which HL leagues have you been playing lately?

I’m implying that being forced to team up with people 2 or more divs below or above you isn’t really fun and I’d like to play somewhere where I wasn’t always forced to do that.

[…]

I’m implying that being forced to team up with people 2 or more divs below or above you isn’t really fun and I’d like to play somewhere where I wasn’t always forced to do that.

Why isn’t that fun? I smell elitism here.

Don’t you play HL for fun? HL mixes are pretty much DM and gamesense anyway, if you balance both teams up properly, why shouldn’t it be fun with prem-d6?

Last edited by Crazyman,

EmilioEstevez

GG

Quoted from Crazyman

[…]Why isn’t that fun? I smell elitism here.

Don’t you play HL for fun? HL mixes are pretty much DM and gamesense anyway, if you balance both teams up properly, why shouldn’t it be fun with prem-d6?

Thats certainly one point of view. I guess tf2center exists for people who like that kind of thing.

[…]

Thats certainly one point of view. I guess tf2center exists for people who like that kind of thing.

What’s your perspective then?

Scissors

(ETF2L Donator)

Quoted from Crazyman

[…]Why isn’t that fun? I smell elitism here.

One div 6 player drags down the overall level so much. Spreadsheet mixes are 100 times better than lobbies for a reason

Last edited by Scissors,

Toba

(a boT from the North)
Lutunen

Quoted from Scissors

[…]

One div 6 player drags down the overall level so much. Spreadsheet mixes are 100 times better than lobbies for a reason

Happened way too often in #tf2.mix.euhl

Kaneco

[…]

Lol that happened on the spreadsheet and irc mixes and it still worked fine.

The balancing system we have is pretty efficient to be honest and you only don’t have regular pickups with high level players adding up because those players are not interested, because the service is there free and available for all…

The americans have expressed multiple times how much they would prefer have a decent web based pickup like tf2pickup over irc, I guess we europeans are just 2 busy being stubborn old men yelling at d6 kids to get off our lawns.

Asaaj

Just because we like a high standard of gameplay doesn’t mean we hate fun

ondkaja

IKEA

NA has a much more active highlander scene than europe so why is it a surprise they have more active pick-ups

Spreijer

CONCORDIA

Quoted from Asaaj

Just because we like a high standard of gameplay doesn’t mean we hate fun

Basically this. There was always a div limit there, so you could have a fun game with nobody dragging your team down completely. If we wanted to play with lower divs, well there’s center for that.

prof

Forgive me for weighing in here. I can’t really speak for anyone other than myself, but personally I like the idea of mixes and I imagine quite a lot of other players at the lower levels of tf2 would too. The thing that’s stopped me adding in to IRC is mainly that mixes seem to be populated by prem/div 1 players who by and large have an understandably disdainful attitude towards people who aren’t quite as good at tf2, and I certainly don’t want to be the bloke who cocks up the mix for everyone else.

If people were a little less fussy about playing with higher/lower level players more mixes would probably happen. If you only want to mix with players in your exact div then you’re limiting your potential player base pretty heavily. I’d imagine someone playing div 3 or something would fit in fine with a mix if they were actually going to join mumble , listen to what they’re told etc etc (doubly so if you have say 3 or 4 lower div players mixed in with the regulars). It’s also a lot more satisfying to play with better players and feel like you’re learning from them/improving than to be stuck at that awkward point where you’re sick to the back teeth of tf2 center but with no other real options to play highlander “casually”.

I mean a better idea would be for me to stop talking and organise shit tier mixes but if I was doing that then I wouldn’t be posting on forums would I.

Asaaj

Quoted from prof

The thing that’s stopped me adding in to IRC is mainly that mixes seem to be populated by prem/div 1 players who by and large have an understandably disdainful attitude towards people who aren’t quite as good at tf2, and I certainly don’t want to be the bloke who cocks up the mix for everyone else.

Then you have met some weird people. The people I usually play with are quiet welcomming

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 ... 8 Next »