Forum

[Feedback] Experimental Ordnance Cup - Unlocks Discussion

Created 15th September 2010 @ 22:28

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 6 Next »

Netsky

so here we go after a night full of games for those involved.
Now let’s get to the whole point of this: Your feedback:

Please try to structure your post as following to keep it clear:
– Weapons your team used: Pros, Cons & General impression.
– Weapons the other team(s) had equipped: Pros, Cons & General impression.
– Spare for some of your thoughts, tactics used: whatever pops into your mind like: “At first the enemy natasha heavy was powerful, but we countered it with our own sasha heavy”, hope you get the idea.

Go ahead! However as this is meant to be feedback refrain from flaming, posting nonsense, etcetc usual business. You have been warned :)
Share your thoughts!

Dr-GimpfeN

9g1c

we used crit-a-cola and pain train at our obscure match.
crit-a-cola:
[pro] if you managed to get behind the medic without beeing noticed you can easylie kill him and 1 or 2 others with it :)
[contra] if they see you you are instant dead -_-
pain train on demoman:
[pro] helps capping alot cos he can jump quick on the point and doublecap it.
[contra] noone noticed

Last edited by Dr-GimpfeN,

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Charge and targe was used, part from the odd hilarious beheading, most part was geniune pointless play, demo suddenly became like a roaming solly and more expendable – I’d allow it simply cos what advantage is it? All it is, is a surprised circus trick.

Crit-cola, whe in saw a scout with it, he seemed to miss me all the time. I see it as balanced if the scout is dumb enough to use it on a head on fight and be the first to get meatshotted, it is 50/50. Otherwise the scout can sneak behind and prepare an attack on the medic….1 shot kills though…hmm?

DH/Gunboats/Buff Banner – Offer something different at expense for something normally handy. Extra 500-550 damage from a shotgun vs ability for soldier to move quicker or ability to cause increased damage per push with a team for the same price.
Direct Hit more damage per hit + projectile speed vs loss of splash damage.

Pie Are Squared

.:ne:.

On Obscure we used Buff Banner (on the pocket) and Bonk Drink as the two necessary unlocks but also had the Direct Hit on the other soldier.
Of the three the Direct Hit had the biggest impact on the game both in one shotting scouts at long range but also being able to deal slightly more over longer distances.
I found the buff banner gave an extra incentive for our pocket not to wonder off and die and definately proved a major advantage in pushing when capturing CP3 in conjunction with Ubercharge. I don’t think we ever needed to use it to defend or push back but I suppose it would be just as useful in these situations.
The bonk was basically only used at mid to block the enemy combo from being able to exit their house and it was pretty good at this though the enemy never changed their rollout.

The second game on Gullywash we got battered; tried Crit-a-cola but it’s fairly useless.
Their gunboat soldier however went ducking huge ;]

Skyride

DUCS

We’re considering having the same rules this Saturday/Sunday in #pixeltf2.pickup to see how it goes in a less serious setting. :)

Last edited by Skyride,

ups

My team used TDH, BONK!, the Pain Train and the Gunboats.

TDH feels a bit random as you can absolutely rape the other team in a few seconds or miss 3 rockets on a scout killing your medic when the pocket is not around for some reason. It was quite good against the numerous soldiers jumping around with gunboats (mostly on the middle point), but wasn’t really doing that much impact overall.

Bonk doesn’t really feel that useful as well. It does increase the pace of the game now and then because of the ability to locate sticky traps without having any trouble. After some discussion both of our scouts agreed that they value their pistol way more than they would ever value bonk, mainly because of the individual fights they have to go though here and there.

Gunboats did a lot of impact on middle, as I needed to take alternative (less exciting and more safe) routes as a demoman just to stay alive from one soldier. Wasn’t really that bad, but definitely was quite annoying. This unlock does, however, make the medic class more frustrating to play, seeing how easy it is to suicide on the medic with this unlock.

Pain Train gives enormous advantage, because it lowers the value of the back-caps. We had this situation when we were pushing last, and failed to notice a scout, who found his way onto our spire and started a back-cap. We had the Pain Train though, and although that scout could’ve succeeded, we cap’ped the point in like 1 second without getting into any trouble at all. As long as you have a medic with you , there is no noticeable downside.

A few scouts we played had crit-a-cola equipped. Didn’t really make any impact at all. Might be quite hazardous though, can’t really tell for the moment.

Last edited by ups,

Linus

[d¿s]

In all fairness we were put up against a much higher skilled team than we were. Thus, the game wasn’t too representative for us. However, I certainly enjoyed it. We used the gunboats, paintrain (on soldier) and bonk.

The gunboats were amazing and certainly make the soldier’s play alot more exciting and versatile. Quite liked the paintrain aswell, allows one of the scouts to switch between utility classes alot more without losing capping power on the points.

Thirdly, we used bonk. We use this normally anyway. Great to confuse the enemy a bit, force them to blow stickies, check on them, or just to get in position and get a pick.

As for the other team – the only one unlock i noticed them to use is aimbot. Oh wait :D
Actually, direct hit seemed to be quite amazing at times but then at times it was a complete miss. It’s a bit too random imo, unless you can master it, the RL is a much better choice.

Last edited by Linus,

blisf

All the people that used paintrain, on which class was it?

cons and pros are for being used in ETF2L

Gunboats
Pros: The extra aggression provided by these was massively useful, and encourages teams to adapt to a more aggressive soldier, which I really like
Cons: The shotgun trade off is very interesting, not suitable for all soldiers
Should it be used in ETF2L?:Yes, as it provides an interesting trade off and strategic set

Buff Banner
Pros: really encourages survivability and hanging back of soldiers, while providing extra venom to pushes over time
Cons: No “Ready!” sounds or hints at how it is charging, making it impossible to predict
Should it be Used in ETF2L?: as it stands, probably not, as it is simply too unpredictable. If a ready sound or animation is added, then yes

Direct Hit
Pros: Encourages skilled prediction
Cons: Insanely powerful, and very unpredictable in combat. Slows down the pace of the game, as everyone is afraid to jump
Should it be allowed in ETF2L?:No, as it slows down the fast paced nature of the game too much, punishing aggression

Pain Train
Pros:Encourages dynamic and strategic play
Cons:Not really any i can think of
Should it be used in ETF2L?: Yes, as it gives a great boost to a strategically strong team

Bonk!
Pros: If used strategically, it can be a real boon to blocking and probing play
Cons: Allows scouts access to an easy ‘get out clause’
Should it be used in ETF2L?:Yeah, as it sacrifices individual worth for team worth and survivability

Crit-a-Cola
Pros: Provides a real bane to poorly communicated teams, and rewards flanking manoeuvres
Cons:Is very random and can be incredibly fatal
Should it be used in ETF2L?: Jury is out on this one, as while it can provide a fair tradeoff, if used in certain situations it is very unbalanced

Chargin’ Targe
Pros: Can’t think of any :P
Cons: removes real functionality of the demoman
Should it be used in ETF2L?:Sure, as no demoman is his right mind would use it :P

RaCio

GoT²

Quoted from Chaplain

Cons: No “Ready!” sounds or hints at how it is charging, making it impossible to predict

It’s the soldier with that flag on his back, spamming rockets.

choiie

keso

We were mostly using the gunboats and a bonk scout. My own experience as a medic was that the gunboats worked ok (if I’d only have had a pocket soldier iunstead of an engi….). It’s an ok tradeoff to lose the shotgun for this, and it surely adds more versatility as a roaming soldier, which is good. I honestly dont think the bonk needed testing, it’s a situational weapon which is already used to confuse the enemy, and it actually worked suprisingly well to have a bonk scout rush in and take a look at the enemy posiotions etc. I can definitely see us using that more.

We also tried out the charging targe which proved to be really random and quite useless. We were faced with mostly the same weapons, however I dont think any of the unlocks that our opponents were using changed the way we played, especially not the TDH which was terrible.

herpderp

DAKKA

Quoted from RaCio

[…]
It’s the soldier with that flag on his back, spamming rockets.

Thats when it’s used, I think what he’s getting at is that there’s no way for anyone (except the soldier who has Buff Banner) to know at what level the charge is.

RaCio

GoT²

Quoted from herpderp

[…]

Thats when it’s used, I think what he’s getting at is that there’s no way for anyone (except the soldier who has Buff Banner) to know at what level the charge is.

You can see the buff banner all the time I think.

And you can roughly estimate it by how long said soldier is alive. People didn’t time ubers the day tf2 came out, so it’s hard to say that timing is totally impossible in this case.

ups

Quoted from RaCio

[…]You can see the buff banner all the time I think.

And you can roughly estimate it by how long said soldier is alive. People didn’t time ubers the day tf2 came out, so it’s hard to say that timing is totally impossible in this case.

That weapon is not fun to play against, since it basically amplifies any damage the enemy team deals. This will result in more passive play imo.

It charges quite slowly though, so I dont think it is that much of a problem usually

kuma

Quoted from RaCio

[…]You can see the buff banner all the time I think.

well, uber is simply time while buff banner is damage, so it’s fairly difficult. since it requires 600 damage to activate, i would say it takes at least mid and cp 4 to charge (or a huge spam fest between 3 and 4). it’s unlikely any soldier will do 600 points of damage on 1 mid battle.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 6 Next »